Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 May 2004, 14:40 (Ref:979975)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow!, Now Thats Why We Watch F1!

To all the naysayers and doom and gloomers out there, that always say theres no reason left to watch F1, I think this race showed just how great this series can still be. I mean, this race had it all,

The glamor of Monaco, on a beautiful day, which is simply unbeatable.

The shear bravery of the drivers, like Kimi, to follow Sato so closely, knowing that his engine could go at anytime, and there would be little room to get out of the way.

The fact that Fisi and DC could walk away from their collision, which could have been alot worse.

Alonso pulling a foolhardy move, trying to beat Ralf on the outside in the tunnel, and paying a heavy price.

Michael pouring it on, every lap getting faster and faster. You just knew that if anyone could win from back in the field at Monaco, it was him.

The very odd tunnel mishap, with Michael getting punted off, by none other than his arch-rival, Montoya. Can't wait to hear that story!

And a great finish, by Trulli with Button breathing down his neck. Fantastic!

This race provided alot of examples of why F1 is still the pinnacle of motorsports. It had the drama, excitement, suspense, and just flat-out great racing on one of F1's most storied tracks to keep me glued to my seat. Dare I say, it was one of the greatest races in recent history...

Danica Patrick
Old 23 May 2004, 14:46 (Ref:979989)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had fun.

And stayed awake.
Old 23 May 2004, 14:46 (Ref:979992)   #3
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it was a thriller.....i'm going to tape the replay on SPEED tonight...it's a keeper.....
Old 23 May 2004, 14:50 (Ref:979999)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Watching.... MS pouring in those laps was a treat i have to say... getting quicker and quicker and quicker and the car was not at its best...
then Jenson closing and putting pressure on Jarno who lead the race quite stunningly...

Fantastic race!
Old 23 May 2004, 15:56 (Ref:980118)   #5
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a pearler of a race & showed just what F1 is capable of.
Old 23 May 2004, 16:03 (Ref:980127)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The best race of the season so far, but i expect Ferrari to be back on top next weekend
Old 23 May 2004, 16:11 (Ref:980135)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, i like this race quite a lot.

And it answers one simple accusations, overtaking, or lack of, doesn't kill F1.

I mean, this race isn't remembered for it...and that what we want to see is that more than one team being capable of providing a win, and that we witness the best of different drivers and stuffs..

MS's awesome pace before his first pit, after being held by Kimi, is great. REally good drive from him.

And we've seen drivers such as Trulli and Button putting in equally superb drives this weekend, making it a pleasure...

And the crashes...well they do add to the show factor!

Like what the commentators said, so what if the Hollywood stars are present..? They couldn't produce a better show than what we had just now.
Old 23 May 2004, 16:22 (Ref:980146)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love Monaco! Watching the cars so close to the armcos and the drivers threading the needle lap after lap is just breathtaking to watch. You know the driver's are on the edge at other circuits as well, but at Monaco the knife's edge is there for all to see. Mistakes are race-ending and wins are glorious. That was a great GP and a great drive by Trulli. Fantastic!!!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 23 May 2004, 16:27 (Ref:980152)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great race- good on Jarno and button
funny that a "poor" day for ferrari still land a car on the podium, what a regular result for rubens.
Old 23 May 2004, 16:47 (Ref:980178)   #10
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thrilling stuff. A suitable curtain raiser for the greatest race on earth the Indy 500.
Old 23 May 2004, 17:31 (Ref:980214)   #11
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring

funny that a "poor" day for ferrari still land a car on the podium, what a regular result for rubens.
very true.....and i still stand by what i said in another thread some time ago that rubens has been lacklustre at best...he sure did'nt look pleased after the race.....still tho, he's in second place with 38 pts, but he just does'nt look at all as if his heart is in it....
Old 23 May 2004, 21:31 (Ref:980433)   #12
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was disaponited after last year's race as there was only 1 accident (Frentzen). This year was much more interesting! I was really hoping that Minardi would score a point, but I did pick Panis for 8th in the results predictions competition.
Old 23 May 2004, 21:38 (Ref:980440)   #13
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
speaking of results- well as the Red #2 i think rubens has had it...money has talked all it will say in his life.
and Muzza needs to update his formula Cam site...
Old 23 May 2004, 21:58 (Ref:980459)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mirwin
I was disaponited after last year's race as there was only 1 accident (Frentzen). This year was much more interesting!
If you only watch racing for the accidents, I think you need to get some sense.
Old 23 May 2004, 22:01 (Ref:980464)   #15
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

YES! Exciting race almost all of the laps! And what can we say about those nasty incidents in the TUNNEL OF LOVE!! I SURE HOPE NEXT WEEK IS AS EXCITING.
Old 23 May 2004, 22:47 (Ref:980502)   #16
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you only watch racing for the accidents, I think you need to get some sense.
I like to see accidents and retirements, but I don't want anyone to get hurt. It makes things more interesting, don't you think? Who could have predicted both Toyotas scoring points, or even a Jordan.
Old 23 May 2004, 22:49 (Ref:980506)   #17
Panzer
Racer

Panzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a FANTASTIC Grand Prix!
Old 23 May 2004, 23:36 (Ref:980553)   #18
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely! Fantastic race!
And why was ita fantastic race? Because, we saw TEAM MATE VERSUS TEAM MATE (Renault), and Drivers racing HEAD TO HEAD. You see what I've been goin on about for so long? It's Ferrari's pathetic "team strategy" that has ruined F1, nothing else.
Even when Barrichello is on the pace, he isn't allowed to do anything with it, and when he is NOT on the pace, it just ****en sux in general.
We all enjoy a Renault team battle, or a McLaren team battle, or a Williams team battle (Ralf VS Montoya has been fantastic), but we have never seen Ferrari team battle. **** Todt.
Old 24 May 2004, 00:04 (Ref:980579)   #19
f1_smiley
Rookie

f1_smiley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aye to that andrew!
back to topic, watched the race in a joint full of other f1 fan(atic)s and we all had a blast!
Old 24 May 2004, 00:17 (Ref:980597)   #20
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Wow!, Now Thats Why We Watch F1!

Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
To all the naysayers and doom and gloomers out there, that always say theres no reason left to watch F1, I think this race showed just how great this series can still be. I mean, this race had it all,

The glamor of Monaco, on a beautiful day, which is simply unbeatable.

The shear bravery of the drivers, like Kimi, to follow Sato so closely, knowing that his engine could go at anytime, and there would be little room to get out of the way.

The fact that Fisi and DC could walk away from their collision, which could have been alot worse.

Alonso pulling a foolhardy move, trying to beat Ralf on the outside in the tunnel, and paying a heavy price.

Michael pouring it on, every lap getting faster and faster. You just knew that if anyone could win from back in the field at Monaco, it was him.

The very odd tunnel mishap, with Michael getting punted off, by none other than his arch-rival, Montoya. Can't wait to hear that story!

And a great finish, by Trulli with Button breathing down his neck. Fantastic!

This race provided alot of examples of why F1 is still the pinnacle of motorsports. It had the drama, excitement, suspense, and just flat-out great racing on one of F1's most storied tracks to keep me glued to my seat. Dare I say, it was one of the greatest races in recent history...

But as I watched it I coudn't help but think how it seemed to be more of a Champ race (on an impossible track) than an F1 race. Those full course yellows, though largely artificial, often provide for some close racing. Thankfully there were no serious injuries otherwise those above thoughts could be quite different.
Old 24 May 2004, 01:05 (Ref:980631)   #21
Panzer
Racer

Panzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ANDREW 2001
Do you realy think one Renault following a couple of seconds behind the other is racing head to head, and do you realy think Flav would risk putting both cars in the wall by allowing them to try and pass each other, I don't think so!
Old 24 May 2004, 02:02 (Ref:980655)   #22
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
A thoroughly enjoyable race, but a **** result from my perspective (at least Rubens managed to salvage a podium from the mayhem). It really did seem to have it all, in one way or another.

A very stressful 1 3/4 hours, but in a good way!
Old 24 May 2004, 12:27 (Ref:981218)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good stuff, I liked it, but then once a year Monaco is always fantastic.
Old 24 May 2004, 12:35 (Ref:981233)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah... I had to answer the phone a couple of times, and &*%$#@ ! Lost a lot of action ! It doesn't happen very often, usually you can go out for a while and won't lose anything but the cars procession...
Old 24 May 2004, 21:09 (Ref:981845)   #25
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just what I have been saying. Get TGF off the grid and presto, you have competitive racing again.