Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jan 2004, 23:16 (Ref:849675)   #1
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Downsides to the new F1 popularity here...

I guess it's noticeable from outside Spain that F1 popularity is growing to stratospheric levels thanks to our wonderboy Fernando. That is good because it brings awareness and now all TV and all newspapers talk about F1.

But there are downsides. I went to Montmeló to watch testing and first thing I noticed, well, it was much more crowded. It's fine, there's room for everyone, but the problem is that the new breed of fans are not the most educated.

Two examples:

-A bunch of young lads, around 13 or 14 years old, would all move their flags and cheer on Fernando (and Fernando alone, despite the fact that Marc Gené also was testing), and would insult "Trulli" (it was actually Franck Montagny with a white helmet).

-Some older people, who had paid (or had been invited) and had a credential to be atop the pits, were stupid enough to throw a paper at the spot where Montagny was going to park. It was only a paper yes, but next time it'll be something bigger.

Truly pathetic. It's good that people are aware of F1 now, but I certainly prefer the old times if this kind of "hooligan football fan" is coming to the Circuit de Catalunya.

PS: No offense to reasonable football fans. I am, too.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 00:28 (Ref:849735)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Downsides to the new F1 popularity here...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi

the new breed of fans are not the most educated.....

...A bunch of young lads, around 13 or 14 years old,
They can be educated
Old 25 Jan 2004, 01:12 (Ref:849757)   #3
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its the same everywhere. They know nothing and get too over excited. Then there are the worst ones that think they know something and they are the ones that get far too over excited. Ive seen fans chase cars out of silverstone on a test day, thats the point at which I think they are just too weird.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 07:05 (Ref:849841)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear there are problems.Damn it's good to see such enthusiasm though!I never would have imagined spain would produce a genuine star in f1-not the way the whole country is into bike racing...as they should be(cheeky grin)
Old 25 Jan 2004, 10:03 (Ref:849886)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Learn more and the excitement is more enjoyable (and occurs over something that is generally exciting).

Not that I think there is anything particularly different about Spanish/Catalonian fans, but the Rally suffers quite a few cancelled stages.

Still, for every paper thrower or jeerer there are probably many more who have been brought into the sport by Alonso and are enjoying it without going over the top.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 12:54 (Ref:849954)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose the main problem is lack of education, since most fans are really new. Still, there's a difference between WRC fans and F1 fans. In 2003 no stage was cancelled from the Catalunya-Costa Brava and apart from a minority, the rest of people was pretty educated. I supposed my fear is that now, in F1, the uneducated may overwhelm the educated!
Old 25 Jan 2004, 21:04 (Ref:850251)   #7
DaveOrama
Rookie

DaveOrama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tell them to have a look at the discussion forum here....
Old 25 Jan 2004, 21:22 (Ref:850269)   #8
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
As if they knew English... Not even half of the Spanish government does, how are these fans supposed to know if they don't even know which driver they are insulting...

(How can they mix Montoya and Gené from a close distance and without helmet?)
Old 25 Jan 2004, 23:01 (Ref:850378)   #9
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if they are really fans . they will "grow" up ....

Ciao Marco
Old 26 Jan 2004, 09:28 (Ref:850738)   #10
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the thing i love about motorsport is that your can support numerous teams/drivers unlike football, i suupport nearly all drivers, except TGF and Fisi, but i dont boo them if they do well, i accept that it was a good drive and move on.

Saying that i dont think i did when i was about 10-12 years old, too immature, but i grew out of it a couple of years later, as will those kids.

and the older men? wellm, you'll always get idiot fans in every sport.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 09:51 (Ref:850754)   #11
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know people who "boo" Ferrari whenever they do well, or whenever a car goes past.

The thing that annoys me most is the people who have obviously paid a lot to go to the event want to enjoy themselves. Fair enough, but when they insist on being total idiots to everyone else, it becomes irritating. When all you're trying to do is to get a few nice photos, people jump in front of the camera and block your view and won't give you any leeway at all.

In one instance we got into the pits and everyone was completely crowding the wall that we were standing on. Tried to have a look at the cars in the pits and the language that was used and the looks I received were terrible. Idiots. It is too crowded, Jordi; I agree.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 09:55 (Ref:850756)   #12
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Another story when I went to Silverstone last season. I was in the Stowe stands. All day, everyone was completely apathetic. The Grand Prix drivers came round for the Drivers Parade and the scene was reminiscent of those midwest sketches where you can hear the wind and hay bales blow across the road. These people have just paid hundreds of pounds to get there, yet cannot be bothered to cheer on their "heroes"; most of them probably don't know who any of them are. Murray Walker was on board the parade truck and had to tell the crowd to cheer and applaud, which was met with no response.

The only reaction from the crowds during the race was when someone crashed into someone else.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 10:36 (Ref:850815)   #13
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, there will always be those types who only go "for the crashes".

Celeb races also cater for this mindset unfortunately.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 27 Jan 2004, 00:00 (Ref:851746)   #14
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
The only reaction from the crowds during the race was when someone crashed into someone else.
What British GP did you see? I certainly didn't see any of that this year? :confused:

And if this years GP didn't get them excited, I don't know what will!
Old 27 Jan 2004, 05:43 (Ref:851859)   #15
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is why I have a problem with the world. It's full of DUMB PEOPLE.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 07:37 (Ref:851912)   #16
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember a few years back being invited Phillip Island for the 500cc GP (thats bikes).Mighty Mick(Doohan) won and clinched his 5th world champ crown in a row.As soon as he crossed the line the crowd invaded the track.Don't worry about the rest of the feild still racing at 200+klm/hr.This happened once and after a little education they at least wait until most riders are on the warm down lap.The point being they will learn. It will take a lot of people to educate them but not all Dumb as golem sugests(not having a go at you)just uneducated.If you want dumb try last years British GP and a certian idiot invading the track during the race.Thats dumb.All I can say is persiver with them because the same happened in Aus.When MWebber finished 5th for Miardi they went nuts.Until then you had two types of people who went,the fans and the need to be seen crowd.As soon as an Aussie was on the grid everyone wanted to know and thats when the fans started to educate the need to be seen crowd.Im looking forward to when he finially nails the AGP but alas not this year.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 27 Jan 2004 at 07:41.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 08:53 (Ref:851959)   #17
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wasn't one of the problems with the driver parade that the drivers were too busy chatting amongst themselves to acknowledge the crowd?
Old 27 Jan 2004, 09:47 (Ref:852015)   #18
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Quote:
Originally posted by codename_47
[B]What British GP did you see? I certainly didn't see any of that this year? :confused:
Last years'. Which stand were you in? I was in Stowe B and most of the crowd were the most apathetic bunch of I have ever seen. At a race meeting anyway.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 03:56 (Ref:853139)   #19
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a lesson to be remembered.....never go to a GP with women or you'll endup having to explain everything to them
Old 28 Jan 2004, 09:05 (Ref:853302)   #20
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the point in booing drivers?

Are they going to hear it?
Is it going to put them off?

At least you can see someone who is applauding or waving a flag.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 18:38 (Ref:854029)   #21
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DriverT, I have found that British fans on the whole are a bit apathetic ( reserved?) compared to those who attend continental races. Some of the guys I have visited the British race with now say they will only attend foreign races in the future. As the crowd is a major factor in the atmosphere at live events, I do feel the British race suffers slightly from this lack of demonstartive passion.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 19:32 (Ref:854121)   #22
Sir Frank
Rookie

Sir Frank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I first went to the MotoGP at Donington in 02, and we were robbed of a lap of honour cos the monkeys were on the track half way down the Craners before the race finished!! Must admit, when there's someone worth cheering on (Mansell, Rossi. NOT Hill/Coulthard), us brits just lose it, the events attract monkeys. And Now (in MotoGP)it's mandatory to slate Biaggi. Yet, how many people who slate Max had replica bikes and helmets between 94 and 97? Morons!

Having said that, My Dad was supposed to go, but he had a triple heart bypass, so after GP, emailed a few people. Sito Pons, Carlos Checa, Sete Gibernau, and Red Bull Yamaha all sent personally signed get well soon messages. (NOT JUST SIGNED PICS-ie Sito Pons 'To Bob, Get Well Soon, Al the best for the future' Signed Sito Pons, on a glossy picture of him on a 250 in his championship year)

Doubt ANYONE in F1 would do that.

MotoGP riders realise that if they give a little of themselves to the public, there's not so much of this public clamouring for a piece of them. OK, on a bike, you actually see them every lap, not just a helmet in a missile. But, now there's no warm up on race day, even with the discounted tickets for Silverstone, its still double the price of a weekend ticket @ Donongton, and you see 5 warm ups, 5 qualifying sessions on Friday, 3 warm ups, 2 races on saturday, and 3 warm ups and five races on Sunday.

Now, after Mansell won Silverstone 87, he hopped on a Police bike and kissed the track where he passed Piquet. Now, actions like that no matter what anyone says helps the crowd get behind a driver, and creates a sense of theatre. Compare that with Kimi. How can you get behind a driver if after pulling of a good result he mumbles and mutters as if he's just smashed up his Dads car! and jumps in the motorhome. Come on, the riders go round doing burnouts & wheelies (off the bike if your Rossi) whether they've won or not. OK, It's not quite as safe in a car, but slow down, wave, aknowledge the crowd, make em feel good to be there, something, anything to get them behind you.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 01:14 (Ref:854508)   #23
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the approcibilty of drivers comes to where they are comfortable.If one struggels with english it will always appear they are allofe.I have always found M.Doohan and M.Webber approcible and really nice people.I have met both on several occasions.I put Paul Stoddard in this catigorey as well even though he is a team owner.While I don't doubt there are some that need to improve there people skills please before you judge them think of where they are and how many other people want a piece of them.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 29 Jan 2004 at 01:15.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 09:36 (Ref:854818)   #24
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Quote:
Originally posted by Remus
DriverT, I have found that British fans on the whole are a bit apathetic ( reserved?) compared to those who attend continental races. Some of the guys I have visited the British race with now say they will only attend foreign races in the future. As the crowd is a major factor in the atmosphere at live events, I do feel the British race suffers slightly from this lack of demonstartive passion.
Hmm yessss reserved doesn't quite state it enough, but I see your point. The crowd is a major factor, so much so that Murray Walker had to tell people to applaud. It was one of the best British GPs I had seen in a while and people were so chilled out as to be horizontal in their seats. And disturbingly, most of those were absolutely covered in team clothing and merchandise.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 09:44 (Ref:854832)   #25
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The monkeys from '02 at Donington had a knock on effect for everybody visting there in '03 as for a lot of the season additional and obstructive fencing was in place