Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 7 Aug 2018, 15:10 (Ref:3842125)   #626
DinkLv
Rookie

China
West Lafayette, IN, US
DinkLv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manor schedules to test at Donington Park on Thursday, 9th August. Expect to see what they can do,
Old 8 Aug 2018, 01:53 (Ref:3842222)   #627
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Ginetta would be wise to apply the Law of Holes: “If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging” — throwing Mecachrome under the bus doesn’t make Ginetta look particularly good or help attract money to the program. And at this point, I'm not sure who’s suppose to appear and buy their LMP1s.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 05:54 (Ref:3842236)   #628
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ginetta really have shot themselves in the foot. Shame really, because we need more LMP1s in the field
Old 9 Aug 2018, 23:48 (Ref:3842650)   #629
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Ginetta really have shot themselves in the foot.

Seems they are quite good on this sport of "shooting in the foot". They did a nice one with LMP3 before.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 01:57 (Ref:3842676)   #630
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
its LMP1 is going to be the LMP1 disaster of the decade.
I do believe that dubious honor has already been claimed by Nissan.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 04:33 (Ref:3842697)   #631
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think this qualifies as good news! https://twitter.com/GinettaCars/stat...38367553499136
Old 10 Aug 2018, 08:54 (Ref:3842725)   #632
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
I do believe that dubious honor has already been claimed by Nissan.

nissan gtr lmp1 vs AMR-one is a really stiff challenge.

Expensive PR work that resulted in a car that struggled to be in lmp2 pace vs A low profile project with a car unable to run more than just a few minutes....

my pick is on AMR-one, but just because I like AM road cars
Old 10 Aug 2018, 13:30 (Ref:3842791)   #633
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I think this qualifies as good news! https://twitter.com/GinettaCars/stat...38367553499136
I agree, they might not be on track but they are working on the car.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3842793)   #634
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Glad to see they are not giving up
Old 10 Aug 2018, 15:03 (Ref:3842805)   #635
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
a video of the AER first start.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3842820)   #636
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is actually very good news as it proves the Ginetta chassis is easy to use with different engine instalments.
Hopefully when running they will prove that the chassis is fast and reliable so that Teams will start to install different engines in it.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 21:47 (Ref:3842893)   #637
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

If the engine is there why don't they travel to Silverstone next week?
Old 10 Aug 2018, 22:43 (Ref:3842901)   #638
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
ACO regs regarding engine or chassis changes or swaps having to be completed at least 30 days before an event.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 07:35 (Ref:3842938)   #639
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
If the engine is there why don't they travel to Silverstone next week?
ACO denied them an entry.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 08:46 (Ref:3842942)   #640
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
I don't doubt the rule exists, I have a bit more doubt that the FIA would actually turn them away.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 08:48 (Ref:3842943)   #641
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
I don't doubt the rule exists, I have a bit more doubt that the FIA would actually turn them away.

After the fiasco that their season has turned into I think goodwill and faith in their ability to actually turn up may be in short supply... And rightly so.

The race is a week away and they have just managed to install the engine. No testing. Why embarrass themselves again, and in front of a home crowd as well?
Old 11 Aug 2018, 12:28 (Ref:3842955)   #642
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If the aim is to sell Ginetta cars, then maybe turning up with an untested engine and it not going great is a bad idea. It'll just make everything look bad.

Take the time to test it, then make a better job next time. But now that they've got the same engine as the SMP, there really is no excuses. That car has to be good now, otherwise it's in trouble.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 13:04 (Ref:3842962)   #643
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
ACO denied them an entry.

If that information is correct, then ACO is not helping the cause. They don't have a 30-car LMP1 entry list to afford denying cars on the grid.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 13:15 (Ref:3842966)   #644
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
ACO requires the entries to be filed a month in advance. Drivers can change, but things like engine suppliers cannot.

Not saying it's a good rule, but it's basically an admin rule that stopped them racing. But if I were Ginetta, I'm not sure I'd want a very public test of the car in those circumstances.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 18:07 (Ref:3843026)   #645
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
On the subject of testing the car until it's ready to race, the mentioned GTR LMP did that as well, and improved on pace, but never reentered a WEC race. I hope the Ginetta doesn't do the same. I don't think it will either because acquiring an AER engine would be meaningless if they didn't intend to race at Fuji.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 18:18 (Ref:3843031)   #646
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Basically it seems that if an engine or chassis swap is made it has to be made before the entry deadline, which is about a month before the event.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 11:21 (Ref:3843148)   #647
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Not saying it's a good rule, but it's basically an admin rule that stopped them racing.

In what world do we live in? Dont ACO shall care about the championship interests in first place? Please keep those bureaucracies away from the sport. They don't have enough cars and interest in LMP1 category to copy F1-style rules.
Old 12 Aug 2018, 11:46 (Ref:3843150)   #648
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Do you think Ginetta actually wanted to race??

They could easily have made the switch earlier and I think probably deliberate to do it “late”
Old 12 Aug 2018, 16:26 (Ref:3843183)   #649
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Do you think Ginetta actually wanted to race??

Honestly, no. I do think they don't know what to do with this LMP1 thing now. One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 13:01 (Ref:3843366)   #650
PeterY
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
PeterY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone is saying Ginetta should take on the running of the car but it isn't that simple.
Manor were meant to be doing had all the equipment etc to run at race events and supposedly the funding to do so. from what i have heard this was never the case and have put Ginetta in a pretty difficult place.
Without the funding why would LT let Manor continue to run the cars adding mileage and unable to maintain to the standards necessary devaluing the cars in the process.
Ginetta are a manufacturer and not a race team as such and they will openly admit that, they don't have the staff or equipment to be running at that level and whether LT can afford to do it or not that was never the plan.
The are setup to design and build and then needed the customer (manor) input and finances to continue the program. LT is putting in i imagine quite a large mount of his own money to try and get the car to a competitive point as well as funding the Le Mans entry.

I hope Ginetta succeed in the LMP1 project as the work and money that has gone in to it should make for a good car, but they need a good customer team to take on the running and provide the agreed finances for this to happen properly.
If my team was in a position and had the funds I would be going to meet LT and discuss it as i believe that as a company Ginetta will do everything they can to make the car competitive.