Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Jul 2007, 10:32 (Ref:1971013)   #1
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"where Are They Now"

I'm not sure whether it's age related or just plain curiosity, but I often start thinking back to my racing days of over thirty years ago, and the names that I raced against. If like me you do the same, I just thought that maybe a post on this subject could work, well it worked for me recentely, when out of the blue I recieved an e-mail from a driver I raced against way way back in the seventies, one David Ovey. It was a lovely surprise. He had been on this site, saw my name, and sent an e-mail. I am still trying to locate Richard Long, who raced Special Saloons and Modsports in the seventies, he had a garage business in Stevenage, called MotoServe. That was ges ago though, he may not even still be around. Then there was that very quick Anglia driver Terry McNally from Leicester and Nick Birch who ran a rapid Imp.........I just wonder what happened to these guys after they retired, where did life take them? Is there someone you would like to trace? Maybe worth a post?
Gerry.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 12:16 (Ref:1971071)   #2
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My brother does some work for Page & Moy, couriering. He came across Trevor Cook a year or 2 ago, doing something similar I think, Gerry. You mentioned elsewhere the Edge brothers. I remember seeing David's Mini at a friend of mine's house in the early 70s. My mate's Dad did soem mechanicing for him at that time, we lived near Leicester. Terry McNally lived up the A47 from me, I used to see his Anglia on its trailer regularly.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 09:22 (Ref:1971870)   #3
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess we need a kind of "Racing Drivers Reunited".....

In a way, we sometimes do this kind of thing by accident, both on here and on Atlas (in particular the Nostalgia Forum on Atlas). There are so many people faffing about on the internet these days, it's surprising who turns up out of the blue, and you also get the cases of "Oh, I know him, I'll have a word with him or even try and get him to post something".

I remember the time when I was having a slight moan about a driver who nearly ran me off the road (I mean an ordinary road, not a circuit) when I was on my motor bike, and lo and behold he turned up on t'internet a few days later, completely unexpectedly, and we ended up having a laugh about it.