Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Mar 2009, 14:40 (Ref:2415530)   #1
Andrettifan
Rookie

Andrettifan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1994 BTCC Silly-Season and Rumors

Just received from a friend a video of the 1994 BTCC season, and would like to know if anybody remembers if the 1994 BTCC had any good rumors on possible rides or teams that never happened. For the last five years I love the read the BTCC silly season and rumors from 10 Tenths Motorsports Forum to get me thru the long off season, so if anybody can remember possible entries or rumors of teams forming for the 1994 BTCC Season that never occurred would be great. Even pics or drawings of these rumored teams would be also great. Thanks!
Old 14 Mar 2009, 19:59 (Ref:2415662)   #2
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Crinkley Bottom Motor Club Team Mazda. Seriously!
Old 16 Mar 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2416822)   #3
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
No offense Andrettifan, but do you post anything other than topics like this? I see you have only 22 posts, and I'm willing to bet my house that all of those have been topics started like this. Can I ask what you use this information for?
Old 17 Mar 2009, 23:52 (Ref:2417894)   #4
Andrettifan
Rookie

Andrettifan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee, Matt is it a problem to ask such a question about what cars and or drivers could have raced in the 1994 BTCC season. The reason I asked these questions is because I have designed touring car racers for my old NR1999 PC game for the last ten years and now I am doing a what if 1994 BTCC season. So I hope this reply, answers your question.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 08:18 (Ref:2418046)   #5
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Were Mercedes not linked to a drive this year?
As for the thread ask what you like, if you dont like it dont read it!
Simon
Old 22 Mar 2009, 01:01 (Ref:2421675)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall an early promo photo for Volvo for 1994 featuring both a sedan and wagon painted up in the Securior colours. Was the original plan to run one of each perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
No offense Andrettifan, but do you post anything other than topics like this? I see you have only 22 posts, and I'm willing to bet my house that all of those have been topics started like this. Can I ask what you use this information for?
The create conversation perhaps?

There's plenty of these threads out there, the forum Nostaglia has had an F1 'almost moves' thread running happily for ages
Old 22 Mar 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2421840)   #7
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I recall an early promo photo for Volvo for 1994 featuring both a sedan and wagon painted up in the Securior colours. Was the original plan to run one of each perhaps?

Thats correct, Volvo had a sedan ahead of the 1994 season as well, but it was not in race trim.

Volvo opted for the estate due to the marketing value before switching to the sedan in 1995 due to the aerodynamic rules.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2443007)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Arguably these sort of bygone based thread questions should be in 'Motorsport History' anyway?!!

I love the what if's and have started many such threads in the past on different topics.

As for '94 I seem to recall that there was a possbility of further works 318i's being entered but in the end Schnitzer continued alone with their 2 cars?

There was also regular rumours about 3rd cars for the British GP and for 'title significant' rounds later in the season!!
Old 24 Apr 2009, 19:43 (Ref:2448823)   #9
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't Ravaglia race at the GP meeting?
Old 24 Apr 2009, 21:28 (Ref:2448882)   #10
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D View Post
Didn't Ravaglia race at the GP meeting?
I'm sure he made a couple of appearences in that years BTCC championship.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 22:16 (Ref:2448910)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1994 BTCC, Ravaglia results;

Silverstone - Ret., Ret.
Donington - 12th, 9th
Silverstone - Ret.
Oulton - 5th

Total points - 5
Old 25 Apr 2009, 08:28 (Ref:2449064)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Crikey, I didn't remember that, they didn't do too bad in '94!!! Maybe I got confused with '95, one of BMW's least successful seasons?!!
Old 25 Apr 2009, 10:59 (Ref:2449145)   #13
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep BMW in 95 was Brabham and Cecotto.

They weren't great.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2450870)   #14
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They did better in 1994 after the rear wing and splitter were homologated for the British GP race and onwards. 1995 was very poor, namely because Schnitzer weren't involved and also the car's aerodynamics were more suited to Germany I think.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 18:11 (Ref:2450905)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Was it Warthofer or Isert who ran them in '95?

The car or prep wasn't there but the driver line up was fine, particularly with Cecotto, another of BMW's top liners from the period?
Old 28 Apr 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2451847)   #16
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Warthofer, who were the official BMW Motorsport test and development team at that time. A shame we never got to see how good Johnny Cecotto actually was in his time in the UK.

I know it's not 1994, but saw an amazing rumour in an old issue of Super Touring Magazine last night when I was browsing my collection. NASCAR driver Mark Martin to race a 3rd works Mondeo at the Donington Park meeting in August, because of the Ford/Valvoline tie-up!
Old 29 Apr 2009, 14:59 (Ref:2452270)   #17
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Was it Warthofer or Isert who ran them in '95?

The car or prep wasn't there but the driver line up was fine, particularly with Cecotto, another of BMW's top liners from the period?
Cecotto raced in some Italian SuperTouring Car Championships with a works BMW, he was constantly on Naspetti's level, sometimes he was great to watch. But he did have too many bad days, IMO.