Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jul 2001, 15:34 (Ref:120216)   #1
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What if Häkkinen retires?

Rumor has it that DC has already signed for 2002. The question is now whether MH will stay or retire to be a stay-at-home dad. JV (over his and Pollock's friendship) and Trulli are two names being tossed around so far, but an official announcement whas not from McLaren on Silverstone, maybe Hockenheim ? JV and DC at McLaren??? would that be a solution ?
Old 22 Jul 2001, 16:07 (Ref:120225)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Never heard nothing about this. As long as I know MH is likely to stay.
Old 22 Jul 2001, 18:39 (Ref:120244)   #3
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The way I see it, Mika isn't retiring...

This week's Autosport suggests that Mika won't retire voluntarily - Ron Dennis doesn't want to pay him as much money next year, because he doesn't think he'll be as good...he'll 'only' get £3 million plus race bonuses, while MH wants £8 million.

Panis is tied up next year, while Jarno has to decide between Benetton or Jordan. JV is keeping an eye on the McLaren seat, but my money would be on Wurz if Hakk does leave...
Old 22 Jul 2001, 18:53 (Ref:120246)   #4
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi folks

The latest rumour to come my way is that Mika will be staying at McLaren as an advisor/test driver (like Prost did in 1996) as from next season. For me, the only surprise is that it's taken so long for this rumour to be noticed as I first picked it up from Norbert Haug back in May this year! Why didn't I mention it at the time? Well, I did to a few people but I couldn't get clarification of what Norbert actually said. So, I give up and I will give my opinion instead...

Mika may not be the most chatty person on earth in front of the cameras, but he is very different when there are no cameras around and willing to talk. He is very much the public face of F1 as he's considered sportsman-like, gentlemanly, and it is very hard to find somebody within F1 who has something bad to say about Mika.

I also understand that one of Mika's big concerns about next season is that he wants to be sure that McLaren will have TWO test drivers who are good at developing cars. This is to cope with the increased testing McLaren are planning to do in 2002. As the old saying goes: "if you want something done, do it yourself". Alternatively, it could be Ron's way of ensuring that nobody else gets Mika in future. I cannot honestly see him going to another team and I don't think he would either. I gather he's promised Ron that he'll stay with McLaren until he retires (and judging by this latest rumour, even beyond that).

I am anticipating an announcement of some sort at Hockenheim this coming weekend - if only to put everything to sleep. I really hope he doesn't decide to retire - if only to shut up a few people (nobody on this board though) who insisted at Silverstone last weekend that they knew exactly what Mika was doing, even if Mika didn't!

Best wishes

Suzy
Old 22 Jul 2001, 19:13 (Ref:120248)   #5
Kenny W.
Racer

Kenny W. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best (but most unlikely) rumour I saw was when he was seen talking to Jaguar. (Officially just keeping his options open).
No shortage of money and he could get the 2 year contract he is rumoured to want. This could at last give something to compare just how good he and the McLaren are, and how good the Jag could be.
Old 22 Jul 2001, 20:00 (Ref:120258)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Suzy, thanks.

Always love your posts !

Old 22 Jul 2001, 20:06 (Ref:120263)   #7
Total-F1
Veteran

We have quite a few people on the inside round here, don't we! Maybe Renault should come here!
Old 22 Jul 2001, 20:22 (Ref:120271)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Suzy.

I'll be sorry if this turns out to be true. But the big question remains-who gets the race seat???

Wurz? Then who's the second test driver?
Heidfeld? Possibly
Trulli? Maybe his best chance yet?
Button? I doubt it
Fisichella? Hmmmmm.
Panis? Could McLaren get him out of the contract at BAR?
Old 22 Jul 2001, 22:29 (Ref:120319)   #9
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great post and i hope he does becomke test driver / advisor and JVill gets the seat. If nothing else, we would then know if he still has what it takes to win which i believe he does.Lookout Suzy, the smoothest guy in 10/10ths is on your tail
Old 23 Jul 2001, 00:00 (Ref:120346)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Alan, can you keep quiet ??

It was just a compliment !!!

(although I can't handle that name...)
Old 23 Jul 2001, 05:54 (Ref:120398)   #11
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Mika retires(which I don't know that he will) I think that there are a lot fo good possibilities as replacements, Kimi and Nick and Fernando would all be excelent choices, and even JV, if he's still got some of that old fire still left in him.
Old 23 Jul 2001, 09:53 (Ref:120454)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IF (and it's a big if because by all accounts Mika will sign to drive) Mika retires, McLaren have an abundant number of drivers that they can sign, and who want to drive for them, including:

- Wurz
- Panis
- JV
- Heidfeld
- Trulli

If I was Mercedes, I would be pushing for Heidfelds contract. Considering Nick is a Mercedes protege, he was groomed by them for F1, and his track record into F1 is fantastic. He's young so has a long future and now has experience in F1 that would make him able to take Mika's place. The only bad point is the fact Raikkonen has outshone him sometimes this year but I'm sure Mercedes won't be too worried about that.

I don't know why so many are on the JV bandwagon. He was the one who put himself in the position he's in now and why should McLaren bail him out? There are younger drivers in F1, such as Heidfeld, Raikkonen and Trulli, who deserve the drive just as much, or even more than JV, considering JV has been outshone by Panis quite often this year.

On the subject of Panis, he would be the sensible choice. Experienced and has proven he's as quick as DC and Mika, it would be good way for him to finish his career. But his race pace is sometimes questioned, and he isn't the world best qualified. But his testing is renowned, particularly after last year.

The outsiders don't need too much explanation. Trulli is highly unlikely, but is deserving as he's highly talented, he's more than matched Frentzen but his overall race pace is questionable. Wurz shouldn't even come into consideration. He hasn't 'done a Panis' and completely impressed the team yet. But he may find a drive soon with another team.

However, this is all debate for 2003 as Mika WILL be driving for McLaren next year. And if I was going to drop a driver, I'd drop DC. Compared to Mika since 1998, he's done SFA except for this year, when he decided to actually pull his finger out. But it's too late. He should have been sacked long ago.
Old 23 Jul 2001, 10:03 (Ref:120456)   #13
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika wont be retiring at the end of this season. I think he'll stick around for another 3 seasons. The way I see it, next season will be DC's last with Mclaren and he'll be replaced by Nick Heidfeld in 03. Mika will remain team leader partnered by Heidfeld in 03 and maybe even in 04.

The only way I see Mika retiring earlier would be if Mclaren are relegated to mid field runners and I dont think that'll happen. He's still hungry for another World Title.

Kimi Raikonnen has Ferrari written all over him. He may even be partnering Michael as early as 03. I doubt whether he'll go to Mclaren. Both him and Juan Pablo look like Ferrari drivers to me - Ralf Schumacher may be the one to go to Mclaren in 05 if he gets tired of Williams - but thats a long way of.
Old 23 Jul 2001, 11:30 (Ref:120494)   #14
Total-F1
Veteran

There's the salary issue between Ron and Mika to consider as well...

DC has been hard done by McLaren - this year's car has been the one that has suited him the most - Adrian Newey openly favours Mika, doesn't like DC and subsequently designed the car around the Finn...
Old 23 Jul 2001, 11:40 (Ref:120501)   #15
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it happens it would be good due to seats opening up but on the other hand MH would be a loss AJ would have any joke about interviews

I reckon

1. DC
2. AW
test
NH

not a bad team if you as me
Old 23 Jul 2001, 15:20 (Ref:120585)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RALFANATOR

I reckon

1. DC
2. AW
test
NH

not a bad team if you as me
Wurz over Heidfeld?!?!?!?!?

You must be kidding!!!

I think Mania is right on the button about DC's future at McLaren. He will soon realise that McLaren is Mika's team, and if he's on top form, the team will only concentrate on him. But obviously he's too thick to realise it, or just ignorant.

The future McLaren-Mercedes team will certainly be led by Heidfeld as...well look at my previous post. His team-mate might be someone not even in F1 yet, you never know.

The worrying thing about McLaren is their lack of youth policy. They have no young drivers coming through the ranks anymore, apart from a couple of drivers, but I cannot remember them at this point in time.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 07:46 (Ref:120930)   #17
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz

Wurz over Heidfeld?!?!?!?!?

You must be kidding!!!

I think Mania is right on the button about DC's future at McLaren. He will soon realise that McLaren is Mika's team, and if he's on top form, the team will only concentrate on him. But obviously he's too thick to realise it, or just ignorant.

The future McLaren-Mercedes team will certainly be led by Heidfeld as...well look at my previous post. His team-mate might be someone not even in F1 yet, you never know.

The worrying thing about McLaren is their lack of youth policy. They have no young drivers coming through the ranks anymore, apart from a couple of drivers, but I cannot remember them at this point in time.

I think any combo would be a great team but in testing Wurz has often outpaced DC & MH . but Mania does make a good point
Old 25 Jul 2001, 16:47 (Ref:121617)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And then there's the story on Autosport.com that has Mika testing a DTM car that happens to belong to the team owned by his manager, one Keke Rosberg ... and being right on the pace, to boot, even with Erja in the car.

Could Mika be taking a sabbatical (as Prost did) to recharge his batteries in another venue, and then come back to drive for Toyota in 2003 and win another championship?

It's a thought.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 16:50 (Ref:121620)   #19
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see DC and JV at McLaren, but I think that is doubtful, and McLaren seems to be on the way down...

My guess is that if Mika leave's we'll just see a little less of Erja making faces in the garage..
Old 25 Jul 2001, 18:20 (Ref:121665)   #20
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Were you talking about this ?, Liz...

Old 26 Jul 2001, 02:37 (Ref:121900)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes. Beauty of a car isn't it? Meaning the CLK!
Old 26 Jul 2001, 14:15 (Ref:122079)   #22
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
And then there's the story on Autosport.com that has Mika testing a DTM car that happens to belong to the team owned by his manager, one Keke Rosberg ... and being right on the pace, to boot, even with Erja in the car.

Could Mika be taking a sabbatical (as Prost did) to recharge his batteries in another venue, and then come back to drive for Toyota in 2003 and win another championship?

It's a thought.
Perhaps Mika is just looking towards a future career in Touring Cars. Many ex-F1 drivers take up the sport. It earns a bit of money, but mostly its good fun for them. They can really RACE each other in tin-tops. Mika would probably love it. And considering the Mercedes connection, it would be a great coup for the DTM.

I don't think Mika would take a sabbatical. I think when he quits, he quits. He won't be back.

Plus, the only reason why Prost took a sabbatical (in 1992) was because he didn't manage to get an F1 ride, and not to 'recharge his batteries'. Considering he'd been fired by Ferrari, and had tested for Ligier (but he couldn't go to a lower team, could he?) he sat the year out because there was no other choice. Or, that's my view of it anyway.
Old 26 Jul 2001, 20:02 (Ref:122234)   #23
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't see Mika going to Toyota but thanks for the suggestion Liz as this might just get the silly season off and running