Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Jan 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2815248)   #151
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Racing lab is a nonsense term... there's no such thing. A car is either legal to compete in a race or it's not.. there's no in between, even though there seems to be for Porsche.

Imagine all companies would be starting to test illegal/experimental cars during actual races... that's completely mental and only confuses the casual viewer. Cars should be tested during test sessions and only race if they meet the current regulations and are willing to compete.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 14:16 (Ref:2815260)   #152
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If it can compete it is legal. It may not be classified , but it is authorized to race.
The reason that this is being done is because it is new technology and there are no adequate set of rules created for hybrid vehicles....which BTW the ACO, and ALMS are trying to "push".
Old 13 Jan 2011, 14:24 (Ref:2815262)   #153
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the story at http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2011...e-intent-23192

Quote:
Porsche AG board member for research and development Wolfgang Durheimer told the Carsales Network that a member representing the ACO spoke to him at Detroit, soon after the car's unveiling with regard to the brand making another long-distance campaign at Le Mans.

Durheimer will take over the Bentley and Bugatti interests among the Volkswagen Group as of February, however motorsport is also part of his portfolio.

"We definitely want to be at Le Mans. It's the jewel in the crown of any racing effort."

And if Porsche returns to Le Mans it will be as a factory effort, says Durheimer.

"We are in discussion with the different rulemakers around the world to find a hybrid [race] category.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 14:47 (Ref:2815270)   #154
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Am i the only one that feels that for racing you have to have a competiton, whats the point of having a brand new class at le mans thats only going to serve porsche, as for the technology, the flywheel hybrd systems are not practical for road use, so i see no need for further development

Last edited by arakis; 13 Jan 2011 at 15:11.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 14:56 (Ref:2815273)   #155
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
Am i the only one that feels that for racing you have to have a competiton, whats the point of having a brand new class at le mans thats only going to serve porsche
You seriously think the GT classes wouldn't have been rewritten in the coming years to embrace hybrid technology anyway? With or without Porsche. Pull your head out of the sand.

Plus there's no use getting in a tiz about something that isn't going to happen until around 2013 is there...
Old 13 Jan 2011, 16:16 (Ref:2815300)   #156
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
Am i the only one that feels that for racing you have to have a competiton, whats the point of having a brand new class at le mans thats only going to serve porsche, as for the technology, the flywheel hybrd systems are not practical for road use, so i see no need for further development
Le Mans and Sportscar Racing has a long history of allowing experimental cars to race, that don't fit any of the rules. Typically they aren't counted in the class results, and there's been times they haven't been included in the results at all.

Think of the Panoz "sparky", the Rover BRM turbine, the Howmet TX... I am sure that there are many other such examples.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 20:08 (Ref:2815376)   #157
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If anyone is interested here are some thoughts from John Dagys on where the 918 could race.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...rtscars-113/P1

Interesting stuff about a possible return to the LMP1/GT1 equal footing like in the late 90's. Manufacturers with (loosely) production-based stuff like Porsche and Jag going up against the protos. That might be enough to get Japanese manufacturers involved again. After all with the regs being opened up to various new technologies, there should be numerous ways to create a winning car.

I've no idea how you would begin to performance balance it all but that will be a job for the ACO.

This is the sort of positive talk the 918 should be leading to. Not people crying because it doesn't fit into GT2.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 20:21 (Ref:2815385)   #158
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for posting!
Old 13 Jan 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2815427)   #159
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
SuperGT cars could potentially slot in where the 918 is, with some hyrbid tech already being looked at in SuperGT for the future, I don't see why not.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 10:10 (Ref:2818186)   #160
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
does anyone knoe how much kj williams-porsche system can store
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 21 Jan 2011, 07:04 (Ref:2818634)   #161
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I notes an interesting comment in the article about Porsche more likely to return to Le Mans than F1:

"We would not necessarily have to line up against Audi, but we would do it if we need to and it would mean there are two of the [VW] group's brands fighting in the races. The likelihood that the group wins would therefore obviously be increased."

I think it is interesting that he mentioned a positive aspect of two VAG brands racing in the same category.
Old 21 Jan 2011, 07:23 (Ref:2818638)   #162
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Me too!
Old 21 Jan 2011, 09:03 (Ref:2818668)   #163
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I notes an interesting comment in the article about Porsche more likely to return to Le Mans than F1:

"We would not necessarily have to line up against Audi, but we would do it if we need to and it would mean there are two of the [VW] group's brands fighting in the races. The likelihood that the group wins would therefore obviously be increased."

I think it is interesting that he mentioned a positive aspect of two VAG brands racing in the same category.
Perhaps VAG are coming around to the idea that beating the competition, even at the expense of one brand > being beaten.

That being said, I still find it hard to believe Audi or Porsche would be satisfied in playing second fiddle. Time will tell.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 21 Jan 2011 at 09:08.