Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Feb 2024, 23:31 (Ref:4197207)   #26
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Good stuff . Look forward to catching up . We had better organise a time and spot to meet up .
Old 19 Feb 2024, 07:23 (Ref:4197233)   #27
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Under the station clock at noon. I will be wearing an oil stained rose, smell faintly of two stroke and be carrying a rolled up copy of "The Bromham Gazette".

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 19 Feb 2024, 07:54 (Ref:4197235)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds good except for the Bromham Gazette.
Old 19 Feb 2024, 08:29 (Ref:4197239)   #29
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Is this from the 39 steps . Brilliant Max
Old 19 Feb 2024, 18:31 (Ref:4197332)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just received this from Reis Race Retro:

Quote:
Dear Visitor,

It is with great sadness Clarion Events Ltd and Stoneleigh Park announces the cancellation of this year's highly anticipated Reis Race Retro event. Following extensive discussions and in consultation with the Warwickshire District Council Safety Advisory Group and Warwickshire Police, it has been determined that adverse weather conditions, particularly extensive flooding, rain forecast through to the weekend and road closures render it unsafe to proceed with the event as scheduled.
There is more info but that's the gist.
Old 19 Feb 2024, 18:47 (Ref:4197336)   #31
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh well, what a joke! I know the weather been bad recently but come on! It's going to be hard for them to win people over for next year.
Old 19 Feb 2024, 19:00 (Ref:4197339)   #32
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Oh well, what a joke! I know the weather been bad recently but come on! It's going to be hard for them to win people over for next year.

But I assume that being advised and warned about possible weather gives them a realistic chance of a successful insurance claim for lost earnings.
Old 19 Feb 2024, 19:01 (Ref:4197340)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just had a call from the organisers, they've moved everything on to next year. So don't forget to vote for my MGB
Old 19 Feb 2024, 19:04 (Ref:4197341)   #34
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh such a shame. It was due to be my first day out with MiniMM for ages! Ah well. It is what it is. Milk. Spilt. Crying. No use.

Old 19 Feb 2024, 19:59 (Ref:4197356)   #35
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just had a call from the organisers, they've moved everything on to next year. So don't forget to vote for my MGB
Even Royal Mail should be able to deliver most of the postal votes within a year, so get scribbling folks!
Old 19 Feb 2024, 21:53 (Ref:4197366)   #36
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is just ridiculous! Honestly, what is the world coming to?

It reminds me of a photo that's been doing the rounds on the internet: the top half depicts a road fifty years ago, with six feet high snowbanks either side after the snowplough had been through, and various women & children walking along, and the caption is "1973 - off to school". Then the bottom half depicts a similar road, but with just the lightest dusting of snow and not a soul around, and the caption for this one reads "2023 - back to bed".

How true that is!
Old 19 Feb 2024, 23:22 (Ref:4197374)   #37
midgetman
Veteran

Have you seen the photos of the area? Last weekend people had trouble getting to the MG Triumph show there apparently - all sorts of problems with closed roads, I saw complaints from frustrated visitors taking hours to find a way through the floods.

In case anyone hasn't seen the announcement, this is more than "danger from wet fields". There actually aren't any fields, just lakes:

https://www.facebook.com/share/LsH8AfWMMCW3GV62/

We're I still exhibiting, I would be very unhappy at getting myself into the show only to suffer reduced attendance due to the floods in the area. Calling it off is a brave decision, but reduces the financial damage to others.

Old 20 Feb 2024, 00:26 (Ref:4197378)   #38
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, I hadn't seen the photos, and, admittedly, it does look pretty well flooded there.

Is this a known problem for the venue I wonder? If so, then perhaps a more suitable venue could be found? (Not for this year, obviously.) I have no idea if that's viable, but maybe it's a consideration for the organisers...

I see that the auctioneers have stated that the auctions are to go ahead, venue as yet TBC. I'm guessing that, at this late stage, they won't be able to find a suitable venue to hold them on the original dates, so it probably means a postponement for those too, unless they go online only?
Old 20 Feb 2024, 06:30 (Ref:4197388)   #39
midgetman
Veteran

A lot of comments online blaming HS2 works affecting field drains. Who knows?

Old 20 Feb 2024, 08:12 (Ref:4197397)   #40
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
A lot of comments online blaming HS2 works affecting field drains. Who knows?

Very fashionable to blame HS2 whereas I strongly suspect the real answer is local authorities not maintaining ditches and drainage systems plus the site also not maintaining the grounds in such a way that water disperses. Not rocket science to say water runs downhill therefore lets provide some channels for it to flow in, and maintain them. Cf the Somerset levels.
Old 20 Feb 2024, 12:20 (Ref:4197423)   #41
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Anybody would think the climate was changing.....
Old 20 Feb 2024, 12:51 (Ref:4197427)   #42
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Does seem a bit ironic what with Stoneleigh being an Agricultural centre.....

Oh well, makes my decision whether to go on Sunday a bit easier........
Old 20 Feb 2024, 13:43 (Ref:4197441)   #43
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I was booked in the Premier Inn down the road and now can't get through to them to cancelled. None of the PI lines are being answered and no contact email on their website. GGGGGGRRR
Old 20 Feb 2024, 13:44 (Ref:4197442)   #44
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stoneleigh is bordered on three sides by a River Avon which doesn't help when the water levels are high and the ground is pretty saturated.
Old 20 Feb 2024, 22:40 (Ref:4197510)   #45
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
I was booked in the Premier Inn down the road and now can't get through to them to cancelled. None of the PI lines are being answered and no contact email on their website. GGGGGGRRR

Should be able to "manage your booking" online - its on the top banner on the webpage......
Old 21 Feb 2024, 01:02 (Ref:4197537)   #46
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are many fields around here that seem not to be draining at all. Extensive puddles in tractor tracks and the like that have remained for weeks. Not so much deep floods as thoroughly sodden ground.

It probably does not help that in the past few years we have seen extensive building work for commercial properties and a new rail head to serve them, right along the low part of the natural drainage into the local river system.

In addition to that the nearest hillside has had and is still seeing, housing development at a large scale and a new "relief" road to channel rainwater into the natural flood areas.

In the middle of the local flood plain has been built a vast Aldi distribution centre.

We had a trip back from the South a few weeks back when the SatNav guided us along some interesting cross-country routes whilst avoiding traffic issues on the M3, M24, M1 and M42. We saw several HS2 work sites on that trip, albeit mostly at night. It would not surprise me at all if that scale of civil engineering activity was creating chaos with water tables and drainage after the recent wet periods
Old 21 Feb 2024, 01:08 (Ref:4197540)   #47
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone still needing a Race Retro style fix next weekend and within travelling distance of North Notts/Lincolnshire here is one option that might be of interest.

https://www.greatbritishsportscars.c...-24th-february
Old 21 Feb 2024, 08:04 (Ref:4197567)   #48
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is another "Motorsport" fix in Northamptonshire on Sunday.
HSCC are holding their Historic Sporting Trial at Sywell (opposite the Airfield)starting at 10.30. A bit of mud will not put those boys off!
Old 21 Feb 2024, 18:11 (Ref:4197655)   #49
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
And Straightliners have a big show at Elvington this weekend if drag racing and speed records are your thing . They are one of mine.
Old 22 Feb 2024, 15:53 (Ref:4197793)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
There is another "Motorsport" fix in Northamptonshire on Sunday.
HSCC are holding their Historic Sporting Trial at Sywell (opposite the Airfield)starting at 10.30. A bit of mud will not put those boys off!
I was confused until I found this: https://www.historicsportingtrials.com/ not the HSCC but looks good fun.