Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 7 Feb 2002, 15:56 (Ref:211668)   #1
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gugelmin retires

Mauricio Gugelmin has decided to hang up his helmet.

He said that his decision was influenced by his two huge accidents last year which could have been fatal were it not for the HANS device. He was also hit by the death of his young son after a life long illness resulting from birth complications.

He wants to spend time with his family and admitted that he had lost his appetite for racing. He may take another role with PacWest.

Farewell and Good luck Mauricio, I, for one, will miss you.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 17:36 (Ref:211709)   #2
bulldogspirit
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
bulldogspirit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the good old days of Gugi in F1 driving for March with Capelli. I'll miss him, but I think he's made the right choice, it's not worth continuing without appetite. Good luck to him in the future.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 05:54 (Ref:212150)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
thought the appetite went about 3 years ago......i am glad big mo is finally gone, wish him all the best.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 06:07 (Ref:212154)   #4
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gomick
thought the appetite went about 3 years ago......i am glad big mo is finally gone, wish him all the best.
I'm glad he got out of there before he got really hurt for no reason. He was also wasting a good seat when guys like Memo were travelling to all the races begging for a chance and getting spit on.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 20:28 (Ref:212565)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I've already forgotten about this thread. Mo who?
Blundell was a bum, too.
Sorry.
New blood at PacWest will revitalize the team.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 20:39 (Ref:212580)   #6
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have PacWest named a replacement yet?

I hoped Gidley gets it (sorry Servia)
Old 8 Feb 2002, 23:52 (Ref:212787)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Big Mo was an absolute gun back in 1997... it's a shame he has been knocked around so much and has lost his edge
Old 9 Feb 2002, 20:54 (Ref:213124)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He was actually the Worlds Fastest racing driver for a couple of years after his 240.942mph pole lap at Fontana. Held it until 2000 when Gil broke it.
Old 9 Feb 2002, 23:43 (Ref:213412)   #9
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Austin
I'm glad he got out of there before he got really hurt for no reason.
My thoughts exactly. Mauricio hadn't really been good since 1997. That, coupled with his two big accidents last year, makes me glad he made the decision to retire before anything really serious happened to him.
Old 10 Feb 2002, 00:36 (Ref:213452)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope we'll be seeing him in some capacity though, he is a friendly and cheerful fellow even when he probably didn't feel like being, and of course he's one of the last who raced with Senna...

Farewell, Mo and let us hear from you.

P.S. Gidley who?
Old 10 Feb 2002, 00:52 (Ref:213461)   #11
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Memo Gidley , the guy who gives it 110% in all practice/qual/races if it wasn't for Andretti at Cleveland, he would surely have overtaken Dario, and won!

Hope you land on your feet Memo!
Old 10 Feb 2002, 03:25 (Ref:213509)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad to see Big Mo' go, but his time is up, and better to check out with health in tact and no bones broken. IMO it's been coming all last season, his heart just didn't seem in it anymore.

Servia should get the seat, because he's put his career on the line with PacWests decision on who will drive the second car.

IMO Gidley didn't do enough to deserve the seat, while Servia drove the car to the limit all last season.
Old 10 Feb 2002, 11:26 (Ref:213607)   #13
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Beer Baron
Memo Gidley , the guy who gives it 110% in all practice/qual/races if it wasn't for Andretti at Cleveland, he would surely have overtaken Dario, and won!
I agree. Memo should get the seat. Servia is deserving of a seat too, but Memo should definitely have one. Cleveland should have been his for sure.

Plus, if Memo gets the seat, I'll have a third driver for my Fantasy Champ Car team!
Old 10 Feb 2002, 12:20 (Ref:213641)   #14
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Memo will get something. He wouldn't be a bad fit in the IRL either.
Old 10 Feb 2002, 14:57 (Ref:213754)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let him go to Brand X and welcome. He might enjoy it and at least he'd be working.

But back to Mo, have you heard the rumours that he might be entering the sweepstakes for Chief Steward? I'd like to see him get it.
Old 10 Feb 2002, 15:01 (Ref:213761)   #16
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
If it means he comes to the UK and gets me free tickets again i'm all for it!!!

But seriously I'd love to see him stay in some capacity and as head of the drivers asscociations he's the perfect candidate for a Chief Steward position as he understands what the drivers want and what needsz to be done.
Old 10 Feb 2002, 15:12 (Ref:213778)   #17
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Liz

"Let him go to Brand X"

Does every post have to be a cheap shot for you? I would go on, but you aren't worth any more. I think Everyone can see you aren't objective enough to be a credible journalist anymore, nor should you be taken seriously.

Last edited by Dr. Austin; 10 Feb 2002 at 15:20.
Old 11 Feb 2002, 00:18 (Ref:213855)   #18
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Let him go to Brand X and welcome. He might enjoy it and at least he'd be working.

Racing is a career, I'm sure Memo has put in a lot of work not to snub a drive in a series that is gaining momentum!

If there were more than 22 rides available in CARt this year it might be possible that everyone who wants a ride gets one

2001 was a tough season for Mo, not only did he suffer a lot of sadness with his son dying, but suffered 2 serious accidents,
Old 11 Feb 2002, 01:25 (Ref:213870)   #19
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Also Liz what a pity it is to see your indiffernce remarks about him, this is the very reason why the Indy forum was split here, as it is impossible to debate racing with this rude beheviour. Would be nice if you started posting some good things about CART, ****ing on the IRL does not imply talking good about CART, and vice versa.

There still is a great journalist called Shaw who talks so positively about CART, and he goes by the name of Jeremy!