Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:08 (Ref:2932644)   #151
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Let's just get this straight (with everyone) - Sky's model is completely different to the BBC. Where the BBC chase viewing figures, Sky chase subscriptions. That's how they make their money. If Sky can increase subscriptions, it doesn't matter so much if they get far less viewers than the BBC

I reckon Sky will produce very good coverage because they will want more subscribers. If they can produce coverage that is good enough to win over the hardcore that does watch it, it may tempt many of those who initially refuse to subscribe

Plus it's all about creating a monopoly in sports
The irony is that the BBC doesn't even need to chase viewing figures, they get paid even if someone buys a TV and never turns it on.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2932645)   #152
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
I can pretty much gurantee it won't happen. If Sky had a full deal people may approach it better but with half the races being shown on BBC most fans will just put up with that and not wish to fork out £600 for the other 10 races.
If the coverage is better than the BBC's, as was the case with Eurosport in the 90s, people will subscribe and watch all the races on Sky

Autosport subscribers - great article here
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2932646)   #153
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow. 11 pages and counting
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2932647)   #154
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If the coverage is better than the BBC's, as was the case with Eurosport in the 90s, people will subscribe and watch all the races on Sky
Who cares? Those figures are going to be no-where near BBC's 'old coverage'.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2932648)   #155
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Let's just get this straight (with everyone) - Sky's model is completely different to the BBC. Where the BBC chase viewing figures, Sky chase subscriptions. That's how they make their money. If Sky can increase subscriptions, it doesn't matter so much if they get far less viewers than the BBC

I reckon Sky will produce very good coverage because they will want more subscribers. If they can produce coverage that is good enough to win over the hardcore that does watch it, it may tempt many of those who initially refuse to subscribe

Plus it's all about creating a monopoly in sports
It is different, though the BBC doesn't need the viewing figures to get revenue, the TV Licence does that for them and all those people who have subscribed to Sky Sports or who are thinking about it will be paying for their TV Licence as well. So yes Sky are going to have to make their F1 coverage pretty damn good if they are going to get new subscribers.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:19 (Ref:2932652)   #156
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

BBC coverage has moved on a lot since the 90's. I fail to see how Sky can significantly better it, although they will do a good job I am certain.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:22 (Ref:2932653)   #157
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
BBC coverage has moved on a lot since the 90's. I fail to see how Sky can significantly better it, although they will do a good job I am certain.
1) I think the BBC will cut back further and their coverage will go backwards

2) Sky aren't going to rest on their laurels. They will innovate. Take cricket, for instance. Channel 4 took it forward after snatching the rights from the BBC, but Sky have taken it further again

My only concern is that Sky Go, Sky's live streaming service which will be my only way of accessing Sky when I'm in uni, is only free up until February 2012 with no word on whether it'll continue to be free after (i.e. they're probably going to charge). In which case, I have no legal access when I'm in uni, and I can't be bothered streaming it illegally as that's just too much of a hassle

Last edited by jab; 29 Jul 2011 at 13:31.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:22 (Ref:2932654)   #158
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Great coverage doesn't always equal more subscribers though. Even if the coverage is brilliant (and I'm sure Sky will do a good job) I know I won't bother subscribing. Just not that interested enough to pay such a ridiculous sum, and I'm guessing (I know it's such a long shot ) from the comments here that I'm not the only one in that situation
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:26 (Ref:2932659)   #159
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the beeb could cut down to the speed (fox) standard, send a pit reporter, will buxton?, and have the other 3 idiots in the studio in north carolina gleaning the international feed for info.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:30 (Ref:2932662)   #160
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
1) I think the BBC will cut back further and their coverage will go backwards

2) Sky aren't going to rest on their laurels. They will innovate. Take cricket, for instance. Channel 4 took it forward after snatching the rights from the BBC, but Sky have taken it further again

My only concern is that Sky Go, Sky's live streaming service which will be my only way of accessing Sky when I'm in uni, is only free up until February 2012 with no word on whether it'll continue to be free after (i.e. they're probably going to charge). In which case, I have no legal access, and I can't be bothered streaming it illegally as that's just too much of a hassle
Only problems is that F1 is in the dark ages as regards TV and media- FOM didn't recognize the power/potential of the internet, thought HD was an unneccesary expense and believes restricting broadcasters rights to use of footage (to protect F1 revenue) is the way to go rather than letting broadcasters innovate.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:31 (Ref:2932664)   #161
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltb View Post
the beeb could cut down to the speed (fox) standard, send a pit reporter, will buxton?, and have the other 3 idiots in the studio in north carolina gleaning the international feed for info.
That's rather similar to Sky's coverage of Indy Car.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:32 (Ref:2932665)   #162
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
Great coverage doesn't always equal more subscribers though.
People have short memories. When people see how good the coverage is, they'll forget ever having said they'll never subscribe

The only people that lose out here when it all pans out will be those who genuinely can't afford it
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:36 (Ref:2932666)   #163
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Could I ask you all kindly to vote in this poll in armchair, if you have time?

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129486
Nowhere for a person who alreadt has Sky to vote, sadly
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:45 (Ref:2932673)   #164
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
People have short memories. When people see how good the coverage is, they'll forget ever having said they'll never subscribe

The only people that lose out here when it all pans out will be those who genuinely can't afford it
And that, in these uncertain times, may be more than an insignificant few.

Last edited by Lotusonpole; 29 Jul 2011 at 13:50.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:46 (Ref:2932674)   #165
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4766 so far !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
There's already a petition.

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/keepf1onthebbc

If they get 100,000 it's possibly debated in Parliament
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:49 (Ref:2932679)   #166
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

No they won't. When you've a mortgage, children and bills to pay in the curent climate everything has to be costed and justified. A lot of people will not be able to justify the cost.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2932681)   #167
GrahamH
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
GrahamH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the posts here critical of the BBC.

Firstly, it looks like they are desperate to get out early from a contract that they entered into to broadcast F1, in order to reduce their spending. Effectively selling their F1 rights is an easy way to do that, certainly much easier than managing the costs in the rest of their business more effectively.

Secondly, in the context of the unsavoury business of the phone hacking scandal, doing a deal to pass control of another sport to a company part owned by the Murdoch family seems to show some very poor judgement from a public service broadcaster.

Finally, Adam Parr: Oh dear. Adam, make your team perform better. Then you'll be able to get more money from sponsors, and fans might buy more of your branded merchandise. Don't blame the fans for your own commercial problems.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:54 (Ref:2932687)   #168
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
I agree with the posts here critical of the BBC.

Firstly, it looks like they are desperate to get out early from a contract that they entered into to broadcast F1, in order to reduce their spending. Effectively selling their F1 rights is an easy way to do that, certainly much easier than managing the costs in the rest of their business more effectively.

Secondly, in the context of the unsavoury business of the phone hacking scandal, doing a deal to pass control of another sport to a company part owned by the Murdoch family seems to show some very poor judgement from a public service broadcaster.

Finally, Adam Parr: Oh dear. Adam, make your team perform better. Then you'll be able to get more money from sponsors, and fans might buy more of your branded merchandise. Don't blame the fans for your own commercial problems.
Bravo. Very good post.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:54 (Ref:2932688)   #169
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
No they won't. When you've a mortgage, children and bills to pay in the curent climate everything has to be costed and justified. A lot of people will not be able to justify the cost.
Too true.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:55 (Ref:2932690)   #170
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We can't even vote with our feet and not pay the license fee, Democracy anyone?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2932695)   #171
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusonpole View Post
And that, in these uncertain times, may be more than an insignificant few.
It won't matter, though. You could get a quarter of the viewers that is currently expected on Sky and they'll still do well out of it. The only way it could go wrong is if only one man and his dog watches, which isn't going to happen - F1 fans are far too loyal

We've had it far too cushy with F1 for a long time. Look at every other sport. Football went largely to Sky in the early 90s. Golf and tennis is very much split between Sky and the BBC like F1 now. Cricket is all live on Sky with highlights on the BBC or Channel Five. They're all split in the same way as F1 will be

F1 is the only one that currently has all its events broadcast on 1 FTA channel, and has been for years - it's unusual in the sporting world for that to be the case. So 1) it was inevitable that F1 would go to a subscription channel at some point and 2) it's only following all the other sports, who realised years ago that you can make more money if you have 2 or more TV channels paying a quite a bit instead of 1 paying a lot

For a sports championship to have some events on one channel and some on another one is not unusual. In fact, it's pretty much standard. F1 is catching up, not falling behind
Old 29 Jul 2011, 14:04 (Ref:2932696)   #172
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
This is what Jake Humphrey has said about it in today's Evening Standard:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...put-into-f1.do
Old 29 Jul 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2932704)   #173
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lol, sounds to me like he might be about to jump ship!

Blimey, he couldnt be fuether up Sky's wallet!
Old 29 Jul 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2932707)   #174
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Lol, sounds to me like he might be about to jump ship!

Blimey, he couldnt be fuether up Sky's wallet!

His entire piece had one single paragraph on Sky..............

Sky has done wonderful things with cricket and football, it offers incredible depth of the sports it covers and has already signalled its intention to take the sport to new levels. We'll see how a sport that is so dependent on big TV audiences will react to the news of partly non-free-to-air F1 coverage.

And i, personally, can't see anything other than the truth in his statement.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 14:36 (Ref:2932711)   #175
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fox View Post
We can't even vote with our feet and not pay the license fee, Democracy anyone?
Of course you can vote with your feet. Get rid of your telly, no need to pay the licence fee. Simple.

Oh, hold on, you want to keep your telly? Because you watch stuff on it? That isn't F1?

okkkkaaayyyy.....

Point being, the license fee covers a lot of stuff, F1 is just a minor (but expensive) part of it.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky