Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Apr 2001, 20:21 (Ref:81241)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Appologies for what will probably be a long rambling post and no doubt some of this will have been covered elsewhere, but just got home I thought I'd get my initially thoughts down.

Plato vs Thompson - The 2 couldn't have been seperated by more than a few 10ths all weekend. This is going to be one to watch. Muller was fastest, just, but not much in it and on a different day at a different track it could be anyones.

Peugeot - close but no cigar. Eaves lost a wheel during the morning warm-up and Soper had to pit during the sprint to check a loose wheel; something defibately not right. However give it a race or two and they'll be knocking on Vauxhall's door.

JSM Alfa - managed to finish one car in time for qual. Pinkney did more laps in the 1/2 hr morning warm up that the car had ever done previous. Engine went bang during sprint, managed a few laps in the feature, after starting 8 laps behind everyone else. Difficult to judge the true performance on that showing. (And that's one of the 5 engines used already)

ABG Lexus - had one car there but weren't able to get it finished in time to race. Car look very nice, plain black with white decals.

Phil Bennett - what can I say, the man's a star. I know there were those who thought he was only there to bring in the sponsor and make up the numbers (I was sort of one of them) but he did brilliantly in the feature. Outdragged Thompson at the start (those rolling starts in Spiders paid off), dropped back behind the Peugeot but fought back. Soper needed more than just his reputation to stay ahead. Ok, so maybe if the Peugeots were running at 100%.... but it's on the day that counts and a well deserved 3rd. On the podium he was grinning like man who'd just won a double rollover national lottery.

BTCT Sprint - reducing it to 10 mins rather than the full 20+ mins was a good move. 8 cars was a bit of a joke but get the Pugs up to speed, sort the Alfa out and add the Lexus and this could be interesting.

BTCP Sprint - a little strung out by the end but the first 2/3rd was a cracker. Pace cars, rollovers, crashes, overtaking, what more could you ask for.

Gavin Pyper - drove like a man possessed and at one stage was hassling Harrison for the lead of the sprint, surely that wasn't in the script. GA said they've done a lot of engine and it shows. The downside is he seemed to trash his tyres too quickly.

Tyres - wasn't just Pyper with tyre problems. By the end of the feature many of the field were struggling to find grip. can't see them doing Thruxton without a pitstop.

I'm sure I've forgotten something but that will do for now.
Old 16 Apr 2001, 20:41 (Ref:81252)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I'm sure you probably forgot a lot Redshoes, but you remembered a lot more individual incidents than I did! It was all very incident packed, wasn't it ? On initial showing, the production class was the most impressive, but hopefully the touring class will be able to join them soon...

You mentioned spills and thrills... and Paddock was definately the place to be... the gravel there swallowing cars whole as Paul O'Neil and Colin Blair will testify to after rolling there cars. It also sucked in Jim Edwards Jnr's Honda and Simon Harrison's Pug, after it lost a wheel rounding Paddock corner (very lucky that the wheel didn't bounce into the spectators area...)

The incident at the bottom of paddock was the most surreal though... Dan Eaves passed us doen the hill with a large amount of scarping a banging. As soon as he'd pulled the car up at the bottom, the back wheel simply fell off. Surely Vic Lee will be concerned by this... especially in light of the Soper precautionary stop.

The new cars all look (and sound) wonderful. And they are much closer to the production cars in terms of time than they were last year which is great news.

I have been to 5 or 6 meetings already this year, but today seemed to several of us to be the true start of season 2001... which, when many of us attended ALMS and Powertour this same weekend, surely shows the goodwill for the BTCC and the potential that is there for the future. All I can say is roll on Thruxton!
Old 16 Apr 2001, 21:44 (Ref:81279)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Just rememeber something else - the cars themselves.

On the first green flag lap prior to the feature Muller was weaving heavily to get heat into his tyres and I was amazed at just how little grip the car has. Several times I thought he was going to lose the backend.

Coming into Paddock during the sprint Muller and Plato were locking up under brakes on nearly every lap.

Again coming through Paddock the cars were lifting the inside rear wheel (Bennett more than anyone else) and around Graham Hill Soper was regularly on 2 wheels.

Just in case anyone wasn't convinced these are definate NOT SuperTourers
Old 16 Apr 2001, 22:02 (Ref:81288)   #4
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a query on the Alfa engine. Are they allowed to repair (if possible) the one that blew today ? How much of the engine counts as 'the engine'.

If it was just the head that blew maybe the engine block itself can be reused.

Apart from that the series has potential, once the Alfa's & Lexuses (or is it Lexi) get up to speed and the Pug's develop more speed things could get interesting. 10 car all very close is a lot better than 30 cars stung out around the circuit.

I think that a some of the huge croud will go hope a little dissappointed, hopefully good TV coverage will get them to return later in the season.

Simon
Old 16 Apr 2001, 22:08 (Ref:81292)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Possibly a little disappointed by the super sprint with the tourers... but cetainly not by the production sprint and the feature race. And, although I missed the Clio race, i'm reliably informed that this was as good as ever... even if it was minus the 10 Tenths contingent...
Old 16 Apr 2001, 22:26 (Ref:81301)   #6
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great day guys.
Well remembered on most of the salient points of the day folks.
Having said our goodbyes this evening I bumped into Mr Soper and said hi !
He seemed a little sheepish when I pointed out that he probably isn't too popular with the Vauxhall boys....but what the heck.....he is Steve Soper....a legend in his own slipstream.
Old 16 Apr 2001, 22:34 (Ref:81307)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Invader
I bumped into Mr Soper and said hi !
He seemed a little sheepish when I pointed out that he probably isn't too popular with the Vauxhall boys
Do you have to keep digging up 1992 again
Old 16 Apr 2001, 22:44 (Ref:81310)   #8
Tim.Lad
Racer

Tim.Lad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too had a great day the vauxhalls where stunning the Peugeots where great but i`m sure they will get on pace soon, and what about the lap long side by side with Thomson and Plato only for plato to loose the posision again on the next lap, would you have seen that in the ST days ? and I think JSM need a pat on the back for all the effort this weekend
Old 16 Apr 2001, 22:57 (Ref:81319)   #9
fudge
Rookie

fudge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Mr. Redshoes I hope a few of the questions about the ability of Phil Bennett have been answered today!

I read your thoughts about today and I'm pleased to see that your initial opinion may have changed slightly.

What a fantastic start to the BTCC, next stop Thruxton!
Old 16 Apr 2001, 23:00 (Ref:81323)   #10
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll read it tomorrow, Redshoes I am somewhat tired at the mo!
Old 16 Apr 2001, 23:12 (Ref:81326)   #11
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup I agree with just about everything already said. The Tourers super sprint was nowhere near the fun we were promised. Sorry but there it is!

The production class were the saving grace of the day! Brilliant! The Feature was a great race for both classes!

The support package? Good in places. Especially the Clios and the pre '61 GP.

The big Screen? It didn't look that big to me and where it was sited you needed binoculars.

Pitlane Walkabout? Hmm! It was so crowded there that you could hardly move, the better known drivers had such huge crowds in front of them that you could waste all of your time trying to get their autographs. Half the drivers didn't seem to give a toss.

On the whole though, a great day!
Old 17 Apr 2001, 06:16 (Ref:81399)   #12
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RIKB
On the whole though, a great day!

Yes I have to agree.

I hope to publish a variety of photographs in the next couple of days, so stay tuned!!

Kelvin
Old 17 Apr 2001, 07:42 (Ref:81411)   #13
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thoughts from Brands for what they are worth:

The wheels falling off problem is a function of the rear hubs which are a TOCA supplied standard part...
Apparently Vauxhall have had the same problem in testing and Lexus are quite concerned as they are using the same part as their front hub...

The Alfa was killing its dampers in under 3 laps, had to get a new set manufactured Sunday night (after Mr West leaned on the manufacturer in spectacular fashion) only for the engine to die in the Sprint... looked more promising than the Pugs which I thought were poor. Even the detailing on the cars looked bad and I think their weekend will be described as perhaps a little embarrasing.

Yes, Phil did a great job. Was glad to see him shrug off his altercation with the barriers in the morning warm up.

Point of interest... 888 say they could have their 5th car finished before Thruxton if needs must... that has to upset the likes of Lexus and Alfa who are struggling for bits...

Oh, and the Clios just weren't the same... none of my old sparring partners showed up/featured although top trivia:

The winner of this years opening round and the winner of last years opening round had something in common?

Both cars were engineered on the weekend by Mark Fish...

Cheers

RickP: Clio51
Old 17 Apr 2001, 08:01 (Ref:81412)   #14
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watchout too later in the week for my pictures of the Clios!
I enjoyed the Clio race as much as anything, I hope my pictures will reflect the close racing!

Kelvin
Old 17 Apr 2001, 09:40 (Ref:81442)   #15
thompson_fan
Racer

thompson_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When i saw some of the pics from the feature with Thompson on 2 wheels going down the inside of Plato i am amazed that there weren't more safety car periods.

Still i was right about JT winning the feature race at least. HEHEHE
Old 17 Apr 2001, 16:28 (Ref:81601)   #16
Tim.Lad
Racer

Tim.Lad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where is that pic ?
Old 17 Apr 2001, 17:31 (Ref:81629)   #17
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey ...... I am impressed with everyones observations ..... what can I add to what has already been said?
Old 17 Apr 2001, 17:51 (Ref:81642)   #18
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I stood opposite the JSM garage on Monday morning after a rather slip slidey, horrendous Sunday. The difference was unbelievable. They must have worked half the night and cut the time by 5 seconds and the handling was so much better. I stood and watched Tim Harvey's face as he read the times off the screen. As lap by lap went past and the times came down and down to within 2 seconds of the Astras the smile got wider and wider. When the session eventually finished the whole garage was leaping up and down - a sight to be seen. Richard West was even in the midst of it. This season is going to be fun.

Other thoughts - I thought the production sprint race was more of a Clio race than the Clios were!
Well done to Jim Junior - I still don't think it has quite sunk in there!!
Old 17 Apr 2001, 17:56 (Ref:81644)   #19
redshoes
Veteran

Fudge, I never questioned Phil's ability, but I doubt even he expected to do that well. In fact he posted as much a few weeks back.
Old 17 Apr 2001, 21:16 (Ref:81729)   #20
Phil Bennett
Rookie

Phil Bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy days

Yeah thanks guys - but nevermind the 3rd position apparently I was more sideways than Yvan at Paddock Hill. That is better than a lottery win on double roll over week!!

Thruxton home of the Church corner should make for an interesting follow up!
Old 17 Apr 2001, 21:52 (Ref:81744)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It sounds like you lot a had a great time!

I won't be going to any rounds until there are more tourers though I think. If they had 14 or 15 then i'd go along.

What are BMP doing with the coverage this weekend - are they showing the production sprint aswell?
Old 17 Apr 2001, 23:46 (Ref:81777)   #22
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well what can i say about the weekend

got drunk
got wet
got cold
got muddy
got excited
got very excited
phil bennett third place feature race - get in there my son

im sure redshoes will back me up but i think bennett definately knew the eggy bennetts were in attendance when he stepped on the podium it had to be the largest cheer and there was only 4 of us!!!

not a bad start to the season in terms of touring cars but the support races lacked excitement whoops except for the clios of course!!!
Old 18 Apr 2001, 16:20 (Ref:81993)   #23
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No-one'e mentioned the elise race yet. I really really want one.
Old 18 Apr 2001, 18:28 (Ref:82043)   #24
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, funny you should mention that, as the Elise race was the first that myself and SL saw and I was mightily impressed. Last year I thought they were dead boring, except for Gwyndaf Evans' magic at Silverstone.

This looked like an entirely different series; close, hard racing, overtaking, spins... Not bad at all.

Clios were as biff 'n' barge as ever, but - as Rick said - not many of the past heroes are returning to the series, but I'm sure they'll get over that.

BTCC itself - well, I can't add much that hasn't already been said on that one, barring a huge WELL DONE!! to Richard West's team. They've transformed the whole thing and made it quite a nice little package. Now we can look forward to further development and more cars as the year progresses.

Thruxton, here we come!!
Old 19 Apr 2001, 20:57 (Ref:82479)   #25
redshoes
Veteran

Attached Thumbnails
bigcheer.jpg