Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Sep 2018, 20:40 (Ref:3848379)   #1426
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Does Vandoorne have any independent financial backing or was it all through being a McLaren protégé? Money and not being utterly hopeless are what’s keeping Ericsson in F1 despite the fierce competition for seats.
So are you comparing Ericsson to Vandoorne in talent of financial terms?

Ironically I always backed Marcus because he did very well in the junior formula up to GP2. But it did seem the further he went the harder it got. Whereas Stoffel did very well up to and including GP2.

However it's doubtful anyone would say the two of them are the same level.
Old 5 Sep 2018, 20:56 (Ref:3848388)   #1427
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
No, I wasn’t comparing them in terms of talent. But Ericsson has money and his links to Longbow. I genuinely don’t know if Vandoorne has any backing that might put him in the same frame as Ericsson and, therefore, a contender for the non-Ferrari seat at Sauber.
Old 5 Sep 2018, 21:01 (Ref:3848390)   #1428
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think Toro Rosso is his best hope if any
Old 5 Sep 2018, 21:09 (Ref:3848394)   #1429
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
You’re probably right, and that’s a long shot. Being dumped isn’t good for the reputation.
Old 6 Sep 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3848528)   #1430
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
This seemed very whiny and self-pitying to me: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...rs-too-quickly. Let’s face it, people aren’t jumping to conclusions; Vandoorne’s had nearly two years. Bit of dignity in the face of adversity wouldn’t go amiss.
Old 6 Sep 2018, 20:40 (Ref:3848550)   #1431
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
But remember how quickly people were lauding him after his debut race at Bahrain in 2016?
Old 6 Sep 2018, 20:45 (Ref:3848552)   #1432
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Yes, I don’t remember Vandoorne complaining then.
Old 6 Sep 2018, 21:35 (Ref:3848558)   #1433
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I recall Checo getting jettisoned after one year even though the car was crap! There gave long been stories that his attitude wasn't enderaring to many at Woking but Force Blah blah normally praise him for spirit etc?! Maybe he's grown up a bit since 2013.

Magnussen got elbowed for political reasons after doing a pretty good job.

If Stoffel was removed for not doing much with a top car i think people would be fair to write him off. But the facts are the equipment has been rubbish and he's basically been Alonso's stooge. Frankly he did bloody well to get close to Alonso on pace. Only Hamilton has ever been able to do that on a regular basis.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 13:26 (Ref:3849190)   #1434
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
“McLaren: Can they compete?” They say no - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-poorEURTM-car
Old 10 Sep 2018, 14:01 (Ref:3849194)   #1435
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing I’m most happy about him being dropped, isn’t that he’s dropped, isn’t that Norris gets a chance. But it’s the fact I don’t have to see #2 on a car which doesn’t deserve the number as they are regularly lapped.

I always thought #1,2,3 should of been reserved and even Ricciardo shouldn’t run #3
Old 10 Sep 2018, 14:50 (Ref:3849201)   #1436
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Prost won the championship in 1993 bearing #2. Either you number the cars in championship order, or you reserve #1 for the champion (if he wants it - Hamilton doesn’t use it) and allow otherwise free choice. Why reserve 1-3, but not 4-6, or 4-8, or 4-10? The move to allowing drivers to pick their own numbers was presumably a nod to the practice Stateside, but not many F1 drivers have really made canny commercial use of it (an exception being Bottas, or should I say “Bo77as”).
Old 10 Sep 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3849206)   #1437
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
interesting point there about the lack of marketing/commercial applications stemming from the numbers.

Carlo55ainz does it as well with 55, but like Bo77as, im not sure they do much more with it other then their twitter/insta usernames. probably on some clothes and hats as well but really its not that much.

Hamilton has a new clothing line coming out with Hilfiger but from what i recall its just stuff with a big 'H' on it and not his number.

i always liked Kimi's reason for taking 7 as it was the number he had the year prior to the rule coming in and he saw no reason why to change it going forward. classic Kimi!

anyways, back on topic...i found that article refreshing. an honest assessment from Mclaren with the team not shying away from fault. no spin no BS no equivocation...just honest.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 01:54 (Ref:3849282)   #1438
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
The thing I’m most happy about him being dropped, isn’t that he’s dropped, isn’t that Norris gets a chance. But it’s the fact I don’t have to see #2 on a car which doesn’t deserve the number as they are regularly lapped.

I always thought #1,2,3 should of been reserved and even Ricciardo shouldn’t run #3
I would have liked to see the numbers allocated according to the finishing positions of the previous year's championship.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 02:45 (Ref:3849287)   #1439
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why?
Old 11 Sep 2018, 07:12 (Ref:3849293)   #1440
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Why?
Because that is the traditional way it was done prior to this recent drivers chosen career number nonsense.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 07:12 (Ref:3849294)   #1441
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I wish the FIA would mandate more visible numbers.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 07:36 (Ref:3849296)   #1442
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Prost won the championship in 1993 bearing #2. Either you number the cars in championship order, or you reserve #1 for the champion (if he wants it - Hamilton doesn’t use it) and allow otherwise free choice. Why reserve 1-3, but not 4-6, or 4-8, or 4-10? The move to allowing drivers to pick their own numbers was presumably a nod to the practice Stateside, but not many F1 drivers have really made canny commercial use of it (an exception being Bottas, or should I say “Bo77as”).
Why not give trophies to 1-6 in the race or 1-8 or even 1-10 then?

The top 3 numbers should be reserved for the top 3 in the championship. If they choose to run it that’s down to them, but no one should be allowed 1-3 in my opinion if they didn’t finish 1-3 in the previous year
Old 11 Sep 2018, 10:16 (Ref:3849344)   #1443
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I would have liked to see the numbers allocated according to the finishing positions of the previous year's championship.
Drivers' or Constructors' championship?
Old 11 Sep 2018, 11:43 (Ref:3849361)   #1444
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Drivers, to me the plate is earned by the driver and should be his number the following season.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 12:32 (Ref:3849368)   #1445
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Drivers, to me the plate is earned by the driver and should be his number the following season.
What numbers would rookies run?
Old 11 Sep 2018, 12:42 (Ref:3849370)   #1446
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ah - so different to how it used to be (aside from #1).

We are starting to see repeated use of numbers - notably #28 and # 10. Also a couple of drivers have raced with more than one number.

I think that reserving only #1 for the reigning champion is right, all other numbers should be free - but I also feel that the reigning champion should be obliged to run #1 on their car.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 12:54 (Ref:3849375)   #1447
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I genuinely don't care what numbers people carry as long as they're visible and don't change mid-season (or mid-session!).

Arguing over a numbering convention is fiddling while Rome burns. There are *vastly* more important problems that F1 needs to solve.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 13:27 (Ref:3849384)   #1448
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
They just did that after '95. Before that teams got the numbers they more or less were stuck with for many years. It gave the Ferrari the iconic 27/28 and Williams the iconic 5. Tyrrell got 3/4.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 14:06 (Ref:3849394)   #1449
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Because that is the traditional way it was done prior to this recent drivers chosen career number nonsense.
Quote:
What numbers would rookies run?
I think the current system is just fine. Clearly messing with this a can of worms.

Other ideas to consider...

1. Driver points totals from the prior year.
2. Driver points totals for the current year
3. Driver power unit penalties points
4. Random draw at the start of each weekend.

Some of those may cause car numbers to change race to race or session to session. So be it! In case of ties in the numbering scheme, drivers will fight it out using inflatable Sumo wrestler suits.

Additional tweaks...

* Drivers who participated, but did not score any points in the prior year have both a large "L" for "loser" placed in front of their number as well as a graphic of a hand making an "L" on the forehead section of the helmet.
* Novices will have a large red "N" placed in front of their number along with a flashing red light above the roll-hoop.
* Pay drivers will have a large "$" sign (or use £ or € if that is more appropriate) placed in front of their number. Rear wing should include two values. Amount promised to the team and amount paid out so far. Optional tin cup can be affixed to right or left mirror mount so that fans can throw spare change at the car in an attempt to help raise funding.
* Drivers who have rich parents must glue a silver spoon to their helmet.
* Drivers who had their rich parents buy them a team must drive a car that looks like a large silver spoon.
* Prima donna drivers with an established record (such as prior world champions) will have an asterisk placed in front of their number as well as the number of explicit contract exceptions they have shown on the rear wing. For example, "I am #1 driver on my team", "I get veto rights on my #2 driver" and "No red M&Ms in my trailer" would mean "3" on the rear wing.

Richard
Old 11 Sep 2018, 14:25 (Ref:3849400)   #1450
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
I think when Webber gets his seat at Renault, he should run 21 (Multiple times on the car).