Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Sep 2017, 03:03 (Ref:3768701)   #601
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Just thinking out loud......i wonder if wiliams could tempt mark webber back into the seat
Don't be daft, he's off to Renault.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 04:00 (Ref:3768714)   #602
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Don't be daft, he's off to Renault.

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 23 Sep 2017, 12:25 (Ref:3769414)   #603
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
So Williams have narrowed it down to Massa, di Resta or Kubica. No offence to Felipe, but I hope they don't play it safe.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 17:04 (Ref:3769443)   #604
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Looking at the list....Kubica it is then? If they do, it will be a good advertising move for Williams as his car will be followed closely..plus I heard somewhere that Rosberg is involved?
Old 24 Sep 2017, 08:35 (Ref:3769540)   #605
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Even if I don't know what issues are going on here with the Williams team, I hope it makes a good choice of the second driver in time
Old 25 Sep 2017, 04:09 (Ref:3769682)   #606
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Looking at the list....Kubica it is then? If they do, it will be a good advertising move for Williams as his car will be followed closely..plus I heard somewhere that Rosberg is involved?
I am glad for Kubica that he is sufficiently recovered to be considered as a possible F1 driver. However, I always thought he was over rated, usually scored less points than Heidfeldt when he was fully fit, so it would probably be better to get Nick back.
Massa or DiResta would be better, and I suspect Massa would still be by far the best choice.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3769710)   #607
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Heidfeld was more underrated than Kubica overrated. I mean 2007 Kubica had the accident, but he kept the car in the title hunt right to the penultimate race in 2008, despite BMW stupidly ending development after their first win. 2009 the car was bad, so not really a fair comparison
Old 25 Sep 2017, 11:36 (Ref:3769724)   #608
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's confirmed that from next year, the official entry is as Aston Martin Red Bull Racing.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 12:32 (Ref:3769735)   #609
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It's confirmed that from next year, the official entry is as Aston Martin Red Bull Racing.
Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer

Takes up a lot of room on a teev screen...
Old 25 Sep 2017, 16:12 (Ref:3769765)   #610
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
FWIW, I think Heidfeld would have been a race winner in a decent car.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3769776)   #611
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We talk about drivers like Heidfeld, Kubica and Massa and their glory days (notable accomplishments) are from almost a decade ago. If you focus on just Kubica and Massa, they both had brushes with greatness (including Massa almost being WDC) and then accidents that put their careers into question.

Massa was able to recover (however I believe it did impact his ability for awhile) and for Kubica the injury was generally considered career ending for quite a long time. While Massa is only a handful of years older than Kubica at this point we are expecting Massa's retirement as being imminent (especially given he actually did retire!). So if Kubia was driving today people would be wondering the same thing. When will Kubica retire?

Who would be older than Kubica (assuming Massa retires to free up the seat at Williams)...

* Kimi at 37 who is WDC and even at that some here clammer for his retirement.
* Fernando at 36 who is multiple WDC and again, many wonder if he is ready to quit.
* Lewis at 32 (roughly same age) who is multiple WDC

So if Kubica was still driving today, I suspect that unless he was a previous WDC, his F1 career would be in it's twilight as well. Could anyone really restart an F1 career at this point purely based upon the potential that was shown many years ago? If had been successful in other top level racing during that gap then maybe, but while I don't follow WRC, he seems to have been just "OK" recently (granted, luck can be a big factor in Rally). But he is just a big question mark IMHO.

I would love to see the Cinderella story for a Kubica return, but it would have to be a big risks for anyone to really consider it.

Richard
Old 25 Sep 2017, 18:55 (Ref:3769791)   #612
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would it be that much more of a risk over, say, di Resta?

I'm pretty sure everyone will agree that Kubica had more potential than di Resta when they entered F1.

Also, you can bet Williams will write a contract clause that deals with the issue of what happens if it turns out Kubica can't actually compete properly due to his arm.
Therefore, they'd be able to swap him for di Resta, or whoever else.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3769797)   #613
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Exactly, being Williams reserve with Kubica signed might work out rather well. Ditto McLaren if Alonso re-signs then has another hissy fit
Old 25 Sep 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3769798)   #614
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
* Kimi at 37 who is WDC and even at that some here clammer for his retirement.
* Fernando at 36 who is multiple WDC and again, many wonder if he is ready to quit.
* Lewis at 32 (roughly same age) who is multiple WDC

So if Kubica was still driving today, I suspect that unless he was a previous WDC, his F1 career would be in it's twilight as well. Could anyone really restart an F1 career at this point purely based upon the potential that was shown many years ago? If had been successful in other top level racing during that gap then maybe, but while I don't follow WRC, he seems to have been just "OK" recently (granted, luck can be a big factor in Rally). But he is just a big question mark IMHO.

I would love to see the Cinderella story for a Kubica return, but it would have to be a big risks for anyone to really consider it.

Richard
Is it strange that as long as he has been in F1, I think of LH as still being one of the young ones with the younger 'new' guys and Vettel and Alonso as the old guard. No idea why and when I think it sounds funny but he just seems like there should be many more years than Vettel has in the tank.
Old 26 Sep 2017, 02:06 (Ref:3769856)   #615
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
What chance is there... that Honda is in line to take over Aston Martin?
Old 26 Sep 2017, 05:24 (Ref:3769870)   #616
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Agreed. But I fear Perez (or any driver going to Ferrari for the next few years) will be playing second fiddle to Vettel. I think all the drivers are aware of this, and someone like Perez would probably be happy take the cheque and do as he's asked. Can't see anywhere else where he'd have a chance of winning a race or two, and getting paid handsomely for it. He'd do better than KR for sure.
Perez would spend his time trying trying to put Vettel into the wall like he does with Occon, how would he make Ferrari a better team?
If you wanted someone, take Occon.
Old 26 Sep 2017, 05:48 (Ref:3769871)   #617
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer

Takes up a lot of room on a teev screen...
Maybe TAG Heuer will go back to McLaren?

Mansour Ojjeh still owns 25% of McLaren and Ron Dennis is gone
Old 26 Sep 2017, 06:33 (Ref:3769873)   #618
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
He doesn't own any of TAG-Heuer though does he?
Old 26 Sep 2017, 06:50 (Ref:3769874)   #619
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Perez would spend his time trying trying to put Vettel into the wall like he does with Occon, how would he make Ferrari a better team?
If you wanted someone, take Occon.
Over FIVE months later???
Old 26 Sep 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3769919)   #620
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Would it be that much more of a risk over, say, di Resta?

I'm pretty sure everyone will agree that Kubica had more potential than di Resta when they entered F1.

Also, you can bet Williams will write a contract clause that deals with the issue of what happens if it turns out Kubica can't actually compete properly due to his arm.
Therefore, they'd be able to swap him for di Resta, or whoever else.
Does Di Resta come with a Mercedes discount on engines though? He's one of their drivers (although with their withdrawal from DTM he might be 'spare'). Di Resta is another 'what might have been' - pretty sure he was in line for a Mercedes seat at one point wasn't he? Can't remember if it was Schumacher coming out of retirement or Lewis leaving McLaren that scuppered his chance.
Old 26 Sep 2017, 12:18 (Ref:3769920)   #621
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you believe this, 2018 might be a bad year for the mad russian... http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/09/26/...at-toro-rosso/
Old 26 Sep 2017, 13:00 (Ref:3769931)   #622
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
If you believe this, 2018 might be a bad year for the mad russian... http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/09/26/...at-toro-rosso/
2017 is going to be a bad year for him, think he's out for Malaysia. And can you really put him back in the car for anything other than the US GP is they want Gasly to go for the SF title after pulling him to test Gasly in the car? Barring something crazy like he bins the car mid race. Oops, think that happened last week.
Old 26 Sep 2017, 13:55 (Ref:3769949)   #623
S griffin
Veteran

I hope RBR do Aston Martin proud next season, what a great way to promote the brand
Old 26 Sep 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3769995)   #624
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I hope RBR do Aston Martin proud next season, what a great way to promote the brand
I find it somewhat puzzling that Aston Martin has the finances available since their own financial situation appears less than rosy. I do not pretend to know all the ins and outs but historically they have been on shaky ground for some considerable time. I did try researching their current investors but it gets a little grey in places for anyone who is not well versed in company structuring. My understanding is that the company is owned by an Italian consortium but there also appears to be some investment from Mercedes. Anyone throw any light on it?
Old 26 Sep 2017, 19:00 (Ref:3769999)   #625
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I find it somewhat puzzling that Aston Martin has the finances available since their own financial situation appears less than rosy. I do not pretend to know all the ins and outs but historically they have been on shaky ground for some considerable time. I did try researching their current investors but it gets a little grey in places for anyone who is not well versed in company structuring. My understanding is that the company is owned by an Italian consortium but there also appears to be some investment from Mercedes. Anyone throw any light on it?
It looks as though a considerable amount comes from Kuwait, as well as Italy and/or Switzerland. During 2016, the holding company raised £200 million in a flotation of preference shares, and for the year ending December 2016, the holding company recorded a loss of £162 million. The preceding year the loss was just under £73 million.