Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 23 Aug 2012, 14:08 (Ref:3123574)   #3751
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Allan could be off to Toyota in 2014 at some point for all we know.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 14:18 (Ref:3123576)   #3752
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Why would Toyota need him , they already have enough drivers .
Old 23 Aug 2012, 15:48 (Ref:3123617)   #3753
KlBD
Racer

KlBD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I wouldn't guarantee it them .
Tom will stay with Joest, no doubt.
Treluyer and Lottere has proven themselves with winning Le Mans, so Audi will do everything to keep them and they will probably also want to stay in the car they are winning with.
Allan i don't see the same deep connection with Audi, as Tom has. And Fässler, hasn't been the best of the trio, but very likely to stay.

Remember i'm not saying they are leaving Audi, i'm saying i think they are all (but the 3) purchasable for another manufacture, where Tom, Ben and André isn't
For what it's worth, with his background in GTs Marcel seems to be a pretty popular choice for Audi when they need a driver for their R8 Ultras as well.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 22:17 (Ref:3123803)   #3754
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
he isn't the youngest guy there is, plus Toyota has a slew of SuperGT drivers to choose from. For instance Andrea Caldarelli just placed 2nd at Suzuka. Though McNish has been vocal in his praise for Toyota lately
Old 26 Aug 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3125453)   #3755
PaulsF1
Rookie

Austria
Graz
PaulsF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi folks!

I'm building a model of the R18: http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/
I've a few understanding problems regarding the oil system of the car (cooling/storing/leading). For explanation of the problem, please change to the pictures caption.
If somebody can help me, please PM me or comment directly to this thread.
Thanks beforehand!

The orange circled item should be the oil cooler. Everybody agrees? (The big one behind, which seems like to be out of aluminium is the water cooler.) And now, if that's really the oil cooler it's feeding line (or return line, that doesn't matter) leads into the monocoque. That means, that the oil tank is internal. Does that arrangement makes sense? I guess, the oil tank should be mounted at the engines front. Picture source: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...22991&page=100

Another picture of this area. The pipe leads into the monocoque for 100 per cent, I elicited that on another picture. Picture source: http://www.audi4ever.com/v2/blog/det...a4e/index.html

I'm glad for every help!
Cheers, Paul

Last edited by PaulsF1; 26 Aug 2012 at 20:02.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 06:49 (Ref:3126177)   #3756
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Is it me, or does Audi have a huge stockpile of body panels just for the noses of the R18s? I've been examining HQ photos of the LM and sprint noses, and it seems that most, if not all, the body panels there are a modular design that are built up around the actual headlight bins, front diffuser, and nosebox. There are tons of parting lines that show were the body panels attach, and the sprint nose has head light lenses that are flush fitting over the headlight bins, vs the LM variant where the lenses are held in front of the bins.

Also, the "foot" where the front fenders and dive planes attach seems to be retracted compared to the LM noses.

I'm wondering how modular the R18's nose is and if it's built up around the concept of modular parts that can be used to build up different areo specs around a basic nosebox, front diffuser and even headlight bins. Probably one advantage of being a factory team and an attempt to optimize packages aside from tacking on dive planes and gurneys and "dirtying" up the cars. Toyota seems to have opted for similar solutions.

And of course, it seems that the ACO might be "cost capping" LMP1s to an extent under the '14 rules to revert back to the pre-2011 regime of using dive planes and gurneys to add downforce to cut down on cost. After all, dive planes and gurneys--small pieces of plastic and carbon--is a lot cheaper than having stock piles of interchangeable body parts to build up a new areo spec.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 13:47 (Ref:3126350)   #3757
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsF1 View Post
Hi folks!

I'm building a model of the R18: http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/
I've a few understanding problems regarding the oil system of the car (cooling/storing/leading). For explanation of the problem, please change to the pictures caption.
If somebody can help me, please PM me or comment directly to this thread.
Thanks beforehand!

The orange circled item should be the oil cooler. Everybody agrees? (The big one behind, which seems like to be out of aluminium is the water cooler.) And now, if that's really the oil cooler it's feeding line (or return line, that doesn't matter) leads into the monocoque. That means, that the oil tank is internal. Does that arrangement makes sense? I guess, the oil tank should be mounted at the engines front. Picture source: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...22991&page=100

Another picture of this area. The pipe leads into the monocoque for 100 per cent, I elicited that on another picture. Picture source: http://www.audi4ever.com/v2/blog/det...a4e/index.html

I'm glad for every help!
Cheers, Paul
That pipe is not aluminium ..... its a lagging , used to protect the pipe , or whats inside it from heat . Like a lagging around a boiler inside your house , an insulation possibily is a better word .
Old 29 Aug 2012, 11:58 (Ref:3126858)   #3758
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speedhunters article on the R18 engine.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/08/the-monoturbo/
Old 19 Sep 2012, 00:28 (Ref:3138169)   #3759
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Audi now putting their money where their mouth is with the hybrid cars--because of how the TS030 and R18 e-tron quattro ran at Sao Paulo, both R18s will be carrying hybrid systems in Bahrain.

This is in spite of the R18 Ultra having the fastest race lap in Brazil, but Audi seems to realize that the R18 Ultra doesn't have much of a future as Audi and Toyota improve their hybrid cars.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 05:19 (Ref:3138216)   #3760
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Audi now putting their money where their mouth is with the hybrid cars--because of how the TS030 and R18 e-tron quattro ran at Sao Paulo, both R18s will be carrying hybrid systems in Bahrain.

This is in spite of the R18 Ultra having the fastest race lap in Brazil, but Audi seems to realize that the R18 Ultra doesn't have much of a future as Audi and Toyota improve their hybrid cars.
I think Audi saw the demise of the Ultra a long time ago.
I still believe the main reason for them running it was as a backup if the hybrid system should fail.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 06:36 (Ref:3138226)   #3761
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
That decision has nothing to do with the Sao Paulo result. The #2 R18 ultra lost 50 sec when Kristensen got held up in the pitlane during the safety car period. Yet still it finished only 15 sec down on the #1 R18 quattro.

The Bahrain track layout favors hybrid cars a lot, because of its 7 hybrid activation zones. The strength of the R18 ultra are fast corners, but there are very little of those in Bahrain.

By running the same car specification Audi can double the data they get during practice sessions. This might help them to address the tyre wear issue more quickly...

Fuiji has fewer hybrid activation zones. So Audi could go back to one ultra over there.

Last edited by gwyllion; 19 Sep 2012 at 06:55.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 09:54 (Ref:3138340)   #3762
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I can not find an official announcement from Audi about this.

It seems that some news sites came to this conclusion based on the provisional entry list on the FIA WEC website. Strangly, on the FIA website there is another provisional entry list, which is supposed to be more recent (18/09/2012 vs 16/9/2012), and on that list the #2 is still an ultra.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 10:33 (Ref:3138358)   #3763
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
I can not find an official announcement from Audi about this.

It seems that some news sites came to this conclusion based on the provisional entry list on the FIA WEC website. Strangly, on the FIA website there is another provisional entry list, which is supposed to be more recent (18/09/2012 vs 16/9/2012), and on that list the #2 is still an ultra.
Endurance-Info seem to know that Audi will do this:
http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-13383.html
Old 19 Sep 2012, 10:39 (Ref:3138362)   #3764
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
That is just written based on the entry list. As I wrote earlier, the two provisional entry lists have conflicting information regarding the #2 Audi.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 11:15 (Ref:3139031)   #3765
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
And now Endurance-Info have an official Audi press release in English posted up which confirms two e-trons for the rest of the season...

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...cus-13410.html
Old 20 Sep 2012, 11:20 (Ref:3139032)   #3766
The Badger
Veteran

Ha ..... Toyota put the wind up'em then !!!

Would live to see Toyota react with a 2nd car .....
Old 20 Sep 2012, 13:59 (Ref:3139108)   #3767
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
According to the press release, the change to 2 e-trons will be for the rest of the season. And I did notice that all year the Ultra can be as fast as the e-tron on a flying lap, but over a race run, the e-tron tended to be more consistent. And that extra 200+bhp from the hybrid system does help in traffic and some drivers have said that the e-tron does handle better, even if it is down on top speed.

I also believe that Allan and Tom have struggled with the Ultra relative to the e-tron because of how little running that they had in the Ultra before Silverstone and Brazil, as well as the fact that they mostly tested the e-tron.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 14:04 (Ref:3139109)   #3768
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Ha ..... Toyota put the wind up'em then !!!

Would live to see Toyota react with a 2nd car .....
At least at Fuji I think we will see their second car again...

Old 20 Sep 2012, 15:30 (Ref:3139156)   #3769
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
TMG have continued to deny a second entry for any WEC round this year because of budget and logistics.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 20:31 (Ref:3139269)   #3770
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
That's a bunch of PR IMO, Davidson still holds out hope- http://www.lemanslive.com/Lemanslive...ecovering-well
Quote:
“I hope to be back racing soon, and I might be ready for the WEC round at Fuji, Japan, in October, if Toyota chooses to enter two cars. We shall see..."
Old 20 Sep 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3139292)   #3771
nasdriv87
Veteran

Brazil
Brazil
nasdriv87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hum. does someone knows what had happened to R18 hybrid system here a t interlagos... some of my friends which gone to see the race said that hybrid system from audi was turned off while racing here

is that true?!?!?
Old 20 Sep 2012, 21:43 (Ref:3139311)   #3772
Flo aus N
Rookie

Flo aus N should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasdriv87 View Post
hum. does someone knows what had happened to R18 hybrid system here a t interlagos... some of my friends which gone to see the race said that hybrid system from audi was turned off while racing here

is that true?!?!?
dont think so, because in the last sector, the times of the Hybrid were 2-3 tenths faster than the times of the ultra.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 15:49 (Ref:3139670)   #3773
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
In http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmjwdGQEIVI#t=13m19 Patrick Head reveals that Audi will stick to Williams Hybrid Power flywheel solution next year.
Quote:
Audi are going to be running again with the same unit in it next year. Obviously lighter, faster. As typically in motorsport nothing can stay the same. Or be it, it will be the same basic unit but pushed much harder than it has been this year.

Last edited by gwyllion; 21 Sep 2012 at 16:12.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 20:36 (Ref:3139728)   #3774
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
In http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmjwdGQEIVI#t=13m19 Patrick Head reveals that Audi will stick to Williams Hybrid Power flywheel solution next year.
Understandable with the 2014 regulations coming.
I do however believe we will see a new system in 2014.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 06:18 (Ref:3142870)   #3775
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
In http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/the-ra...-audi_638.html Ralf Juttner explains the process of converting the #2 to an e-tron quattro on site. The biggest problem was putting the e-tron livery on the cars because of the extremely hot temperature in Bahrain