Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 8 Nov 2016, 09:11 (Ref:3686458)   #11551
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would have though Shell threw a few quid their way in the diesel days, and when you think what they were spending with Ferrari their motorsport outlay would have been astonishing.

Yet, what amazed me about that, was that you rarely saw any marketing in gas stations about Audi and their diesel winnings, it was always Ferrari merch.

Yet, all the reps and fleet guys would be using diesel cars, probably a fair few of them Audi's!
Old 8 Nov 2016, 16:38 (Ref:3686547)   #11552
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I would have though Shell threw a few quid their way in the diesel days, and when you think what they were spending with Ferrari their motorsport outlay would have been astonishing.

Yet, what amazed me about that, was that you rarely saw any marketing in gas stations about Audi and their diesel winnings, it was always Ferrari merch.

Yet, all the reps and fleet guys would be using diesel cars, probably a fair few of them Audi's!
To the average motorist, who doesn't know much about motosrport Ferrari is synonymous with it, hence the Ferrari merch. So from a marketing perspective, that makes perfect sense.
Old 8 Nov 2016, 18:26 (Ref:3686569)   #11553
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's been said that Ferrari make more money off of merchandise now than they do cars. Which means they sell cars to fund their ability to sell crap hats and silly watches.
Old 8 Nov 2016, 18:33 (Ref:3686573)   #11554
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It's been said that Ferrari make more money off of merchandise now than they do cars. Which means they sell cars to fund their ability to sell crap hats and silly watches.
Old 8 Nov 2016, 19:54 (Ref:3686595)   #11555
bavila
Rookie

bavila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Isn't that the truth. And IMO you have to be a vain vain guy to walk around in Ferrari stuff, while the average person is driving a Honda Civic.
Old 8 Nov 2016, 19:59 (Ref:3686597)   #11556
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavila View Post
Isn't that the truth. And IMO you have to be a vain vain guy to walk around in Ferrari stuff, while the average person is driving a Honda Civic.
Old 11 Nov 2016, 18:51 (Ref:3687238)   #11557
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
DSC's Audi film show:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/1...udi-sport.html
Old 16 Nov 2016, 18:38 (Ref:3688607)   #11558
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Audi Sport (in an uncharacteristic move for this season) has released photos of their cars before FP begins tomorrow. Both cars will have decals celebrating the whole Audi LMP900/LMP1 program on the engine cover dorsal fin per Audi Media Center.

Also, SC365 reports that the 2017 R18 was only a few weeks away from testing when Audi Sport pulled the plug on the program. I do hope that Audi at least release some digital renders of what the car was supposed to look like, or just complete it for S&G's just to close the program.

BTW, a question that I've had since 2000, so whoever knows will have to dig way back to the early days of the program, but why was the #77 Audi R8 at Mosport in 2000 blow smoke out its exhaust on overrun? I know that the car had to be burning oil or something (though it didn't seem to worry the team; even back then, Audi had telemetry to let them know about problems on the car), but I've never heard a reason why it happened.

Mind you, this was the days before I had a computer, barely had internet, and had a hard time catching the races on TV, though we had DirecTV by then in the living room (this was between my grandma having control over the TV watching westerns and old cop shows like Dragnet and Kojak on TV Land and not having a TV Guide subscription).
Old 17 Nov 2016, 14:28 (Ref:3688846)   #11559
kaivo
Racer

Estonia
kaivo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Old 18 Nov 2016, 00:24 (Ref:3688964)   #11560
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
BTW, a question that I've had since 2000, so whoever knows will have to dig way back to the early days of the program, but why was the #77 Audi R8 at Mosport in 2000 blow smoke out its exhaust on overrun? I know that the car had to be burning oil or something (though it didn't seem to worry the team; even back then, Audi had telemetry to let them know about problems on the car), but I've never heard a reason why it happened.

Mind you, this was the days before I had a computer, barely had internet, and had a hard time catching the races on TV, though we had DirecTV by then in the living room (this was between my grandma having control over the TV watching westerns and old cop shows like Dragnet and Kojak on TV Land and not having a TV Guide subscription).
Unfortunately, there's no mention of it in the official press release: https://www.audi-motorsport.info/v2/.../single/id/902
Old 19 Nov 2016, 05:59 (Ref:3689186)   #11561
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I wonder if Racecar Engineering will do a piece on the stillborn 2017 R18 like they did for TMG's stillborn 2010 TF110 F1 car? I've also read a possible rumor (though it could also be a bad translation) that Audi Sport could finish building the 2017 car and maybe test it as a final farewell to the current LMP1 program.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 19:14 (Ref:3689540)   #11562
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Farewell Audi, what a lofty way to departure from sportscar racing !
Old 19 Nov 2016, 19:15 (Ref:3689542)   #11563
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow that was emotional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 Nov 2016, 19:19 (Ref:3689545)   #11564
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
The end of an era.

What a way to finish.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 20:04 (Ref:3689565)   #11565
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Which Audi prototype will go down as your favorite? Mine is the R18 Ultra and EtronQuattro. Essentially the R18's from 2011-2013.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 20:07 (Ref:3689568)   #11566
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first R18 (2011) and the last R18. A lot of people say it's an ugly car but I love how radical it is.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 20:11 (Ref:3689571)   #11567
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep89 View Post
The first R18 (2011) and the last R18. A lot of people say it's an ugly car but I love how radical it is.
I also saw it as more radical than ugly. The problem I had with that car was not the looks, but that I never saw how that high nose would work for LM and the other low downforce tracks. And sometimes aero and set-up was just too complex. And then add pick-up to the equation
Old 19 Nov 2016, 20:12 (Ref:3689573)   #11568
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Which Audi prototype will go down as your favorite? Mine is the R18 Ultra and EtronQuattro. Essentially the R18's from 2011-2013.
2011-2013 R18 for me too. If I had to narrow it down then the 2012-2013 R18 Quattro. First win for a hybrid at Le Mans and first win for a 4WD car at Le Mans. It was the first introduction to the current era.

My favourite memory was being trackside in 2008.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 20:18 (Ref:3689578)   #11569
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Goodbye Audii, thanks a million for the great racing over the last 18 years and especially for the pit visit and other access you gave ten-tenths members at le mans, i hope you return soon
Old 19 Nov 2016, 20:21 (Ref:3689580)   #11570
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really like the 2000 R8 with the open rear wing. I also like the 2010 R15+ for some reason, and the 2011 R18. I liked the 2014 LM-spec, especially the rear, and also the 2015 LM spec. The 2013 LM spec would have been perfect for me, if it weren't for the big nose.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 20:35 (Ref:3689583)   #11571
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Hindy's prediction that Audi will be back before Peugeot caused 20 seconds of very awkward silence on the WEC stream.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 21:12 (Ref:3689589)   #11572
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Hopefully someone from Peugeot heard it and decides to do something about it
Old 19 Nov 2016, 21:17 (Ref:3689596)   #11573
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Hopefully someone from Peugeot heard it and decides to do something about it
I honestly think Hindy underestimates the trouble VAG is in, I don't think they'll be restarting any large-scale motorsport activities anytime soon (and with that I mean at least 5-6 years).
Old 19 Nov 2016, 21:47 (Ref:3689604)   #11574
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Mostly because the US Government was like "Oh, you'll pay us $15 billion to shut us up? We'll gladly take it!" And yet, we have new Ford, Chevy, Dodge and GMC pick up trucks dumping tons more NOX and CO2 out their exhaust per vehicle than many (as in clustered) of the VW/Audi diesels that the EPA deemed questionable.

Say what you want about the EU regs (which apparently allowed defeat devices by not explicitly outlawing them, not as strict on NoX emissions), they do criminalize large pick up trucks and tractor trailer rigs more than the US does it seems. Believe me, if Ford or GM got caught doing the same thing, the US Government would go easier on them. After all, the Obama Administration bailed out GM and Chrysler. At least Ford trimmed the fat and avoided a Gov't bail out deal.

Also, I don't think that Hindy is underestimating anything as of yet. He knows a lot more than you or I, the common race fan, knows. And even though Peugeot is now profitable again, they're still b****ing about costs in such a way that it make's TMG's gripes seem like asking for a legitimate favor, which I wouldn't be surprised that asking for a favor (under the tech regs) is at least part of Peugeot's winge-fest in regards to cost. Not to mention that VAG and most of all several of it's divisions are still hugely profitable. Audi are still setting huge sales records and raking in profits.

But you do have to understand the cynical side of me on this, too. As soon as we see major contributors to the US Govenment's defense plans and endorsers of politicians' tax returns and those of the oil companies and such, then maybe I'll take seriously the US Gov't's objections.

Not to mention that Daimler AG are similarly getting hammered in the US and especially the EU and other countries for doing even worse on their trucks and large vehicles with emissions and fuel economy regs. But then again, Daimler only have three motorsports programs, one that they spend half a billion USD on annually (F1), one that they don't spend hardly any money on, though it's seemingly a matter of national pride (DTM), and one that's a customer program (GT3).
Old 19 Nov 2016, 23:19 (Ref:3689614)   #11575
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Here are some of my impressions of "Awesome Audi" from the 2000 Petit Le Mans. Earlier, when all the talk was about Audi entering the American Le Mans Series, my response was, "So what?"

It didn't take very long for me to understand 'What and Why?'.

http://www.lasersol.com/CyberMotor/p...esome_audi.htm