Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Nov 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2337431)   #601
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
As Ronnie Corbett said "I know my place"
I presume that was meant in jest as anyone who read the whole of my comments would know that I was far from wealthy myself and a self admitted meeting tart. However my comment still stands - if you have been used to the more glamourous meetings the idea of a Mallory Park MG meeting has limited appeal.....
Old 19 Nov 2008, 08:59 (Ref:2337461)   #602
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
I presume that was meant in jest as anyone who read the whole of my comments would know that I was far from wealthy myself and a self admitted meeting tart. However my comment still stands - if you have been used to the more glamourous meetings the idea of a Mallory Park MG meeting has limited appeal.....
I'll have you know that at Silverstone a few years ago I had a hell of a ding dong race with an Austin 1100 turbo,could not get past him,enjoyed the race so much raced pass my window for driver change(Tim has the photo somewhere)and was removed from the result sheet,yes Simon,bloody BMC rubbish.(I was driving Tims plastic D by the way)
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 19 Nov 2008, 09:15 (Ref:2337475)   #603
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Eric I dont know you from Adam but if you race a Fiesta yet have an XK at home I would have to assume you to be an inverted snob!
Old 19 Nov 2008, 09:19 (Ref:2337477)   #604
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce
I'll have you know that at Silverstone a few years ago I had a hell of a ding dong race with an Austin 1100 turbo,could not get past him,enjoyed the race so much raced pass my window for driver change(Tim has the photo somewhere)and was removed from the result sheet,yes Simon,bloody BMC rubbish.(I was driving Tims plastic D by the way)
The Botelle Brother's car (if that was it) was in fact a 1300.

Simon. Uncle Eric is Tim's uncle.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2337482)   #605
simon drabble
Veteran

I had worked that out but as I have never met Tim its all a bit meaningless!!!
Old 19 Nov 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2337490)   #606
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You have, they were both standing behind me in the pits at Spa when you asked the way to signing on.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2337493)   #607
simon drabble
Veteran

being the rude man that you are you didm't introduce me ;o) mind you I was a tad stressed at that moment as I was due out straight after - as it turned out I could have taken my time....
Old 19 Nov 2008, 10:04 (Ref:2337509)   #608
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No, but I told them who you were.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 12:08 (Ref:2337562)   #609
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well thats a point i thought we were all going to meet up on the Thursday evening. Wot went wrong.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 12:13 (Ref:2337566)   #610
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Off topic this is the 2009 thread.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 12:15 (Ref:2337567)   #611
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It's not,some policeman!
Old 19 Nov 2008, 12:33 (Ref:2337576)   #612
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
No its not.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 13:08 (Ref:2337606)   #613
simon drabble
Veteran

Based on Terry Bower's cryptic clues it seems that he is now chief instructor at Spa. That being the case it would be fair to assume he has a nice place there in which case can I suggest he holds a ten tenths drinks party on Thursday this year?!
Old 19 Nov 2008, 14:03 (Ref:2337643)   #614
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Based on Terry Bower's cryptic clues it seems that he is now chief instructor at Spa. That being the case it would be fair to assume he has a nice place there in which case can I suggest he holds a ten tenths drinks party on Thursday this year?!
if this will be in our watering hole I would support that !
Old 19 Nov 2008, 14:33 (Ref:2337652)   #615
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No, but I told them who you were.
Er, did you? Simon was probably not a stressed as me then.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 15:35 (Ref:2337686)   #616
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
You spotted the deliberate mistake then.

Tim,

Yep.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2337734)   #617
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Botelle Brother's car (if that was it) was in fact a 1300.

Simon. Uncle Eric is Tim's uncle.
!300 cc,bugger,no wonder I couldnt catch it
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 3 Jan 2009, 12:16 (Ref:2364454)   #618
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Dinkel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy new year everyone!

Cheers, about Spa6: I've had it running around like a madman snapping the allsorts. I'd like to follow one or two teams in the 6 Hrs race . . . Think about it.

To focus is my verb for '09.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 22:51 (Ref:2397171)   #619
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISCracer
. . . E types that can beat GT40s...........
Are you referring to the Minshaw E that won Spa6 '08?

If that is so I can tell you the GT40s aren't exactly pulling away from the 300-325 brake Jags. And in corners they aren't even a match!

Also - and you will probably know - Wolfgang Friedrichs Project Aston DP212 won Spa6 a few years ago and in performance figs that's not too far away from a proper racing E.

Must be the drivers then, or am I naive?
Old 14 Feb 2009, 08:20 (Ref:2397296)   #620
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Small correction, Dinkel; although Freidrichs does indeed own Project 212, the car he won the Spa 6 hours in (with David Clark and Simon Hadfield driving, I believe) is his Project 214 replica. In fact it has consistently been a podium place finisher, there. Yes, it has a strong engine, but in period the Project Astons would and should have been quicker than lightweight E-types, anyway. There is no doubt that all these cars now are developing greater power than they were in period but they really shouldn't be quicker than a well driven GT40, so it must be down to the drivers ...... mustn't it?
Old 14 Feb 2009, 08:29 (Ref:2397300)   #621
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkel
Are you referring to the Minshaw E that won Spa6 '08?

If that is so I can tell you the GT40s aren't exactly pulling away from the 300-325 brake Jags. And in corners they aren't even a match!

Also - and you will probably know - Wolfgang Friedrichs Project Aston DP212 won Spa6 a few years ago and in performance figs that's not too far away from a proper racing E.

Must be the drivers then, or am I naive?
Thats what a minority want you to think Dinkel.A couple of years ago at the Classic,an E Type was just romping away from a GT40[proper driver on board] along every straight.Proper drivers post race comments are not suitable for family reading!
Old 14 Feb 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2397321)   #622
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Before we go further, wasn't one of the GT40s being pedalled by Simon H? Also I believe Jon and the rest of the Minshaw clan are pretty good racers too.

Anyway one of the things to hobble the GT40s was the number of fuel stops.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2397375)   #623
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Simon H would be quicker than the Minshaws but slower in answering questions!Did he race a GT 40 at Spa?He was usually was part of the Aston whatever you want to call it team before he helped chauffeur the maroon 904/6 last year.Most of the cars at the sharp end last year had read the rules incredibly well and yes the E's were as quick or quicker in a straight line than a normal GT 40.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2397387)   #624
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Apologies, I thought he was out in a GT40. Hey ho.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 13:45 (Ref:2397421)   #625
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Ouch what did I start?!

How come an E is faster in the straight than a GT40 with - at least - 100 brake more then?

I looked at GT40s (or Ford GTs as they were named at that time) at Spa's straight up to ER and the LS 'hairpin' and saw E-types driving pretty clean lines where as the Fords needed correction. I could - and still can - not hardly believe they ever won LM! They look like crap to drive cars to me. But then, I'm just the silly spectator.

About the fuelstops: I can imagine that. Quickest lap last year was a GT40 if I'm correct.

Must be one of the reasons why HEM6 has a hard time to finish top3 and the main reason why the MGBs can finish in the top 20.