Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Sep 2015, 06:12 (Ref:3576882)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Castle Combe Autumn Classic - 3rd October

Can never understand why this doesn't get better cover as it's a fabulous meeting, well attended and with some great grids. FISCAR will be there with The Jon Gross Memorial Trophy race incorporating the Mort Goodall Cup for prewar Astons and also our usual Marque race which has about 40 entries in it. Joe Cox is also bringing a grid of Austin Healeys.

http://www.castlecombeautumnclassic.co.uk/
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 25 Sep 2015, 14:57 (Ref:3576991)   #2
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have enjoyed both previous Classic meetings at Combe and have booked tickets to go next weekend.
I think the circuit are pushing their luck charging £20 but I'm fool enough to pay, this year anyway.............

I'm sure the hideous infield won't distract from the Classic event too much.
Old 27 Sep 2015, 07:12 (Ref:3577352)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Always seems to get busy this time of the year . Colin will be there in his S Type . We have also got a car over at Zandvoort and I'm going to Dijon . Delta Motor Sport will soon be advertising for a transport manager 😳
Old 28 Sep 2015, 20:57 (Ref:3577828)   #4
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Entry list http://www.ccracingclub.co.uk/assets...-28th-Sept.pdf
Old 3 Oct 2015, 09:08 (Ref:3578997)   #5
brands
Veteran

An excellent grid Mr T.
Fog has lifted but a tad chilly.
Old 3 Oct 2015, 19:59 (Ref:3579254)   #6
brands
Veteran

A good days racing from the Classic, just a shame about the FIScar red flag.
I hope the DBR1 damage, front and rear, is "only" superficial.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1694.jpg  
Old 4 Oct 2015, 07:37 (Ref:3579420)   #7
Paul Leek
Rookie

France
Faye la Vineuse
Paul Leek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Have enjoyed both previous Classic meetings at Combe and have booked tickets to go next weekend.
I think the circuit are pushing their luck charging £20 but I'm fool enough to pay, this year anyway.............

I'm sure the hideous infield won't distract from the Classic event too much.
It was my first visit to the circuit yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought £20 was good value - we parked near Tower, walked the circuit twice during the day and also watched a couple of races at Bobbies.

Having read your remark re the "hideous infield" I wondered what to expect. Now I know - what a disfigurement of an otherwise delightful circuit those solar panels are. At least they don't look so bad from the Paddock/Pits, but from where we we parked...

We'll definitely go again.
Old 4 Oct 2015, 11:01 (Ref:3579450)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The advantage of the solar farm is that it secures the circuit for some time ahead. There will be a contract in place so the site can't be changed into a housing estate for its duration. Sometimes the bigger picture is more important.
Old 4 Oct 2015, 13:41 (Ref:3579476)   #9
Paul Leek
Rookie

France
Faye la Vineuse
Paul Leek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
The advantage of the solar farm is that it secures the circuit for some time ahead. There will be a contract in place so the site can't be changed into a housing estate for its duration. Sometimes the bigger picture is more important.
I'd guessed it would be something like that.. Thanks for the info.
Old 4 Oct 2015, 20:37 (Ref:3579562)   #10
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably my favourite meeting of the year. The crowd is always so appreciative and knowledgeable and the atmosphere very laid back, all underlined by the exceptional help given by marshals and recovery crew when my day came to an abrupt end. They've been talking about making it a 2 day event for a couple of years now, I think they should.
Old 4 Oct 2015, 20:40 (Ref:3579563)   #11
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Took my Dad and we thoroughly enjoyed the day - mainly out at Quarry. Will post link to some snaps soon.
Old 5 Oct 2015, 09:17 (Ref:3579661)   #12
Chris Todd
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey
Chris Todd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great day, well done to Castle Combe and all the competitors.
The meeting reminded me of the early Revivals.
Like Goodwood, Combe does seem to lend itself to Classic racing and without doubt this meeting gets better every year.
A 2 day meeting (new grids for Sunday) for 2016 would be awesome!
Old 5 Oct 2015, 11:23 (Ref:3579686)   #13
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a great race in the saloons, some splendid battles with the Minis and the 51 Anglia. I love the Combe circuit, opportunities for the smaller cars.
Old 5 Oct 2015, 12:58 (Ref:3579714)   #14
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
AGD A105/6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very enjoyable day, but a surprisingly under-subscribed saloon race, I was hoping for a few more slower driver and/or car combinations so I could have a dice. Not sure who had the loneliest outing, the winning Mustang or me. Hope for a better turnout next year!

Still everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, judging from the rearcam view:
Attached Thumbnails
HTC CC flying Fords1.jpg  
Old 5 Oct 2015, 19:11 (Ref:3579803)   #15
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Todd View Post
A great day, well done to Castle Combe and all the competitors.
The meeting reminded me of the early Revivals.
Like Goodwood, Combe does seem to lend itself to Classic racing and without doubt this meeting gets better every year.
A 2 day meeting (new grids for Sunday) for 2016 would be awesome!
It was two days last year. I think we all enjoy this meeting as its not full of hostility and corporate. Hope it just says as is, good old club motor sport.
Old 5 Oct 2015, 19:59 (Ref:3579813)   #16
Cornerworker
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare, UK
Cornerworker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was 2 days last year because it was merged with the Finals meeting. This year they are on separate weekends. The Classic element has always been 1 day.
Old 5 Oct 2015, 20:46 (Ref:3579824)   #17
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't realise the DBR1 got so badly bent, there are some good pictures on the Telegraph online.
What happened
Old 5 Oct 2015, 20:51 (Ref:3579827)   #18
brands
Veteran

A two day Classic meeting would be good, assuming CC have the space. It was pretty rammed on Saturday with a chunk of spectator parking taken over for car clubs etc.
I've not seen Hammerdown used to park cars since the British GT/F3 days.

There was talk of the HSCC and their 60th Anniversary next year....
Old 6 Oct 2015, 10:44 (Ref:3579929)   #19
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD A105/6 View Post
Very enjoyable day, but a surprisingly under-subscribed saloon race.
Andrew, I think the problem with the fairly low entry was because this meeting was an 'add-on' to the regular HSCC/HRSR Historic Touring Car calendar and was slotted only a week after Brands and a couple of weeks before the HSCC Finals meeting at Silverstone. Hopefully better scheduling may be considered if this is going to be part of the calendar next year.
It was also a bit disappointing that more Mk 1 and Mk 2 Jags didn't join in with the Historic Tourers (apart from Colin, who we claim as one of ours anyway) as the race was open to the JEC pre-66 saloons too.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 12:14 (Ref:3579945)   #20
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a disappointment Peter, perhaps a bit more lobbying needed if there's to be a next time. Speaking to some of the drivers, they didn't realise there was another race they were eligible for.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 13:04 (Ref:3579954)   #21
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On this coming Saturday 10th there is another meeting with two races for HSCC HF3 (1000 cc screamers). Looks a good entry as well, in quality if not quantity.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 14:40 (Ref:3579968)   #22
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
I should have added that Jag driver Les Ely also entered HTC, albeit in his BMW and I think there was a late entry XK150 on the back of the grid, although not sure quite how that qualifies as a touring car!
Old 6 Oct 2015, 17:43 (Ref:3580031)   #23
brands
Veteran

A batch interesting cars in the paddock and on track demos:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0003.jpg   IMG_0008.jpg   IMG_0921.jpg  

IMG_0995.jpg   IMG_1435.jpg   IMG_1477.jpg  

Old 6 Oct 2015, 17:45 (Ref:3580032)   #24
brands
Veteran

and some Healeys from their 25th Anniversary Challenge, qually and race 1.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0617.jpg   IMG_0671.jpg   IMG_0625.jpg  

IMG_0728.jpg   IMG_1382.jpg   IMG_1412.jpg  

Old 6 Oct 2015, 18:23 (Ref:3580038)   #25
brands
Veteran

VSCC Pre-War Sports-Cars
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1001.jpg   IMG_1026.jpg   IMG_1033.jpg  

IMG_1110.jpg   IMG_1086.jpg   IMG_1038.jpg