Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 19 Sep 2006, 09:12 (Ref:1713531)   #1
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
M-Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supertouring Volvo 850s

Hi,

This is a follow on from a comment i made on the "Brock's Bathurst winners - where are they now' thread. I was wondering about the history of the Volvo 850 supertourers produced by TWR in the 1990's. From the wagons through to the begginig of the S40s, how many were produced, chassis numbers and what whent where after the BTCC (ie, at least 2 sedans and 1 estate come down 2 Australia). Also, Where are they now?

Any news/info is greatly appreciated!

Mitch
Old 19 Sep 2006, 09:55 (Ref:1713566)   #2
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Redshoes runs a very informative site with the history and whereabouts of a variety of supertourers. Quite a bit about the Volvos on there.

http://www.supertouringregister.com/register.php
Old 22 Sep 2006, 04:52 (Ref:1716047)   #3
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well since that list the 2 S40 that came to Australia as leaving again I wouldn't trust it implicitly. One of them is owned by the Corporate Sales Manager for Melbourne City Volvo and is often displayed in the show room, can't tell you what the chassis nuber is, though
Old 22 Sep 2006, 05:43 (Ref:1716052)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is the chassis a real race car though?

There is an 850 sitting in the Bathurst museum that is a tizzied up road car, used as the show/ride car for Peter Brock's Volvo escapades way back when and doubled up as a race car in the Eastern Creek 12 hour with Mr Brock at the wheel....
Old 27 Sep 2006, 22:21 (Ref:1721566)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The Volvo information came from Greger Petersson of Sportpromotion who has owned, raced, run or rebuilt just about every Volvo SuperTourer at one point or another. His notes to me were fairly brief and not in the best English so I may have misinterpreted a few things but have no doubts that what he's told me is correct.

There were a number of static demo cars built. Apparantly there's one in the showroom at Volvo's UK training division. Chances are the Melbourne one is as well. That said, if anyone has more information on that car and can confirm a chassis number I'd love to hear about it.

I've seen the Bathurst 850 and it's very obviously nothing like the real thing.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 00:45 (Ref:1721644)   #6
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tha Chassis is not a mock up. Weather it is built by TWR, I do not know, but I suspect so because I can't think of any other places Volvo would get a car. It is not just pretty carbon fibre with old brakes and wheels and inefffectual cage bolted in to "look" right.
I am not saying it hasn't made its way back for a refit, but there is at least one in Aust as of 2 years ago and I last saw it 4 months ago.