Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 29 Mar 2009, 19:54 (Ref:2428365)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Audi A3 TDi - 170BHP/140BHP

Hey,

I am on the lookout for a new car, and have a shortlist of a BMW 320CD or an Audi A3 TDi.

However, I know Audi do a 140BHP version and a 170BHP version, both are 2 litre diesel units, however I just want to know what do they do to the car to increase the BHP by 30 from the 140 version?

I know the 170BHP version is 15kg heavier, I am just wondering if its possibly different filters or a bigger turbo or exhaust?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 22:11 (Ref:2429367)   #2
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe all they do is fiddle with the ECU. I have an A4 1.9 TDI, originally it only had 100hp, but I had it ''chipped''(ECU remapped), and now it develops 180hp. The extra torque is amazing, still the same top speed but gets there quicker. Also it returns between 5 and 7 miles per gallon more. I'm very pleased with it, just make sure you change the cam-belt within the recommended time.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 10:51 (Ref:2429671)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Being the cynic that I am I would doubt increasing an A4 diesel engine by 80 bhp would also increase the MPG as all the chip does is inject more fuel.
Fair enough if you go along at the same speed and don't use the "extra power" you should get more MPG.
I have an HDI Pug that is chipped up and does good MPG, but if I "murder it", it does less MPG !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 Mar 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2429912)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
OK, apparently the 170 version has a different exhaust system and a DPF (Diesel Particle Filter) which increases the weight of the car slightly.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 05:42 (Ref:2432940)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a new A4 140,had it chipped to give about 185bhp,that was a better bet that the new 170 version I bought a year ago,more economical,far better "Grunt".Cruising on Autobahns at 100mph would give a constant 47mpg in the previous car but now I'm lucky to see 43mpg,but its not been chipped-----------yet!!
Old 4 Apr 2009, 20:18 (Ref:2433555)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I drove a 140BHP S-Line A3 the other day at my local Audi dealership and although the car felt ok (it was actually a very hard ride) I was a bit disapointed that the ratios between 5th and 6th gears weren't wider, in fact there is hardly a difference, probably about 100 revs or so, which kinda makes 6th gear pointless, especially when you often have such a rubbishly short first gear in TDi's...