Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Nov 2014, 07:48 (Ref:3478483)   #26
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd suggest that with the legal and financial problems Tesco have after their deliberate & fraudulent mis-reporting of financial results, and the complete replacement of senior management, that sponsoring motorsport is the last thing on their agenda for several years.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 07:52 (Ref:3478484)   #27
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
I'd suggest that with the legal and financial problems Tesco have after their deliberate & fraudulent mis-reporting of financial results, and the complete replacement of senior management, that sponsoring motorsport is the last thing on their agenda for several years.
I agree wholeheartedly!

You and I both know, however, that many more will grab the calculator of wishful thinking (possibly the same one Tesco use for accounting), and do the good old 2+2=7 off season special
Old 25 Nov 2014, 15:03 (Ref:3478604)   #28
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my wishful hoping is that the Jaguar name won't be discredited with someone like Plato involved
Old 25 Nov 2014, 15:44 (Ref:3478618)   #29
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
my wishful hoping is that the Jaguar name won't be discredited with someone like Plato involved
Old 25 Nov 2014, 17:08 (Ref:3478639)   #30
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I couldn't agree more. Jaguar is a brand that in general oozes cool, and a figure such as Plato would ruin that image for more people than it would give an image boost to. And Jag take image very seriously. Plato would be a huge mistake, no matter what he wins. There are a handful - yes, not many, but some - of drivers as good if not better than Plato and with good backing. None of them are anywhere near as... ...controversial...
Old 25 Nov 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3478653)   #31
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even without all of the shady and peculiar financial company goings-on, I just don't think Tesco would be a great fit with Jaguar, image-wise. Exclusive, cool, relatively expensive premium brand hardly aligns well with cheap, accessible, abundant 'everyday' retail. To me.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 18:32 (Ref:3478661)   #32
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Jaguar were to return to racing, one of the GT series or the GT class of the WEC would be a better marketing fit for the company than the BTCC, both in terms of the venues visited and the other brands that are competing.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 18:43 (Ref:3478666)   #33
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What about a cigarette brand, like Silk Cut?
Old 25 Nov 2014, 20:10 (Ref:3478677)   #34
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What about a cigarette brand, like Silk Cut?
Hey...they could run a pair with Andy Wallace and Jan Lammers driving with technical assistance via a ouiga board!

Ok...funs over.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3479054)   #35
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
Even without all of the shady and peculiar financial company goings-on, I just don't think Tesco would be a great fit with Jaguar, image-wise. Exclusive, cool, relatively expensive premium brand hardly aligns well with cheap, accessible, abundant 'everyday' retail. To me.
Waitrose is more Jaguar I would think.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 13:21 (Ref:3481053)   #36
Mac and Jakes Dad
Rookie

Mac and Jakes Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see Jags in BTCC or DTM.

If they go for BTCC how about something along lines of Infiniti ParaRacing Team.

Same model, but supporting our Marines, the Jag Racing Green would be appropriate, the rivally already exists and hopefully it could draw new fans to BTCC.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 15:48 (Ref:3481085)   #37
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 3rd armed force charity team ?
Old 4 Dec 2014, 18:38 (Ref:3481921)   #38
Mac and Jakes Dad
Rookie

Not quite sure why you'd call Paras Racing a "charity" team

Lead by Derek Palmer Snr
Prepared, built and developed cars for BTCC, ETCC and WTCC. Won Privateers’ champion in the FIA European Super Touring Championship, as well as European Super Touring Trophy and lots more

Driven by
Derek Palmer Jr
Dutch Touring Cars, Historic Touring Cars, European Saloon Car Championship, Historic Super Touring Cars (Others FIA GT, British GT and European GT championships)
&
Richard Hawken
3 Club Touring Car Championship wins, driver of the season, 2 podiums at the David Leslie Memorial. Bought and successfully ran to championship success an ex-BTCC David Leslie Nissan Super Touring car.
10 years in Super Touring cars, Cavalier and Primera

Backed by Infiniti(Nissan)
I'd say they had a pretty good pedigree.
Just because they want to raise awareness and funds for Support Our Paras, the official charity of The Parachute Regiment, I wouldn't call them a charity team
Old 4 Dec 2014, 18:41 (Ref:3481923)   #39
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac and Jakes Dad View Post

Lead by Derek Palmer Snr
Prepared, built and developed cars for BTCC, ETCC and WTCC. Won Privateers’ champion in the FIA European Super Touring Championship, as well as European Super Touring Trophy and lots more

Driven by
Derek Palmer Jr
Dutch Touring Cars, Historic Touring Cars, European Saloon Car Championship, Historic Super Touring Cars (Others FIA GT, British GT and European GT championships)
&
Richard Hawken
3 Club Touring Car Championship wins, driver of the season, 2 podiums at the David Leslie Memorial. Bought and successfully ran to championship success an ex-BTCC David Leslie Nissan Super Touring car.
10 years in Super Touring cars, Cavalier and Primera

Backed by Infiniti(Nissan)
I'd say they had a pretty good pedigree.
Just because they want to raise awareness and funds for Support Our Paras, the official charity of The Parachute Regiment, I wouldn't call them a charity team
Whilst the information is wonderful, I don't think charity was being used in a derogatory way. Just saying its a team back by a charity
Old 4 Dec 2014, 20:35 (Ref:3481956)   #40
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's hardly blue-chip, quality sponsorship. Whichever way you want to dress it up, it still comes across as a charity team so long as that's the team name.
Old 4 Dec 2014, 22:13 (Ref:3481989)   #41
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac and Jakes Dad View Post
From the team's website
Quote:
The aim of the team is to specifically help raise awareness and funds for Support Our Paras, the official charity of The Parachute Regiment, one of the most iconic Regiments in the British Army.

All profits generated by the Infiniti Support Our Paras Racing Team will be donated to the ‘Support Our Paras’ charity.
Team's stated aim is to support and raise funds for a charity. What else would you call them if not a charity team?
Old 4 Dec 2014, 22:29 (Ref:3481992)   #42
Mac and Jakes Dad
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
From the team's website

Team's stated aim is to support and raise funds for a charity. What else would you call them if not a charity team?
I don't disagree that one of their aims is to raise cash for a charity, I just thought to call the team itself a charity, was well, a bit uncharitable.

If they can be competitive, does it really matter who they want to pass some of their revenue on to?
Old 4 Dec 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3481995)   #43
Mac and Jakes Dad
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
Whilst the information is wonderful, I don't think charity was being used in a derogatory way. Just saying its a team back by a charity
That's a fair comment maybe I'm a bit too sensitive when it comes to this particular team. I'll try and dial it down a little.