Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Feb 2004, 11:56 (Ref:863896)   #1
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Recent McLaren pace?

Are McLaren in trouble?

I hate to make a big deal about this, but even if they are running heavy fuel loads, surely they would be quicker then they have been the past week.

Even the reliability was an issue.

I was concerned due to their times, and even Planet-F1 picked it up:
http://www.planet-f1.com/Home/story_14281.shtml

But then again, Planet-F1 is a bit of a tabloid website.

The car was quick in Valencia, but the MP4-19 hasn't held onto that lap record anymore.

The car had shown a lot of pace, but judging by the times, i saw nothing at all impressive.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 12:14 (Ref:863915)   #2
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm...i really would be surprised if Mclaren can't sort out the MP4-19.

Mclaren has a very very good engineering team which could iron out any problems. And considering that the MP4-19 is based heavily on the MP4-18 which had practically done a season worth of testings, any major problems should be foreseen, detected or solved by now.

I think that, after initial record breaking runs, Mclaren are assured of the pace and is now focussing more on setup, heavy fuel, strategy and trying new things, and running slightly off pace to hide their true potential.

I'd really be surprised if Mclaren can screw things up 2 years in a row..
Old 5 Feb 2004, 12:21 (Ref:863924)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I agree, GTR, but then I would'nt have thought a team as good as them could have balls up last year as bad as they did either.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 12:28 (Ref:863935)   #4
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason they are slow is that DC is driving.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 12:35 (Ref:863946)   #5
Barny
Racer

Barny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jasonhill9884
The reason they are slow is that DC is driving.
A bit harsh old boy!
Old 5 Feb 2004, 12:39 (Ref:863951)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
I agree, GTR, but then I would'nt have thought a team as good as them could have balls up last year as bad as they did either.
I think that points to how good McLaren is. Last year had a lot of balls up and they were close to winning a championship!

As for if they are in trouble. I think they are in decent shape (although I couldn't say if they have the 1st, 2nd or 3rd best car at the moment). I'm afraid it is a 'wait till Melbourne at least' one. Four and a bit weeks!
Old 5 Feb 2004, 12:50 (Ref:863966)   #7
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
But remember, This year is DC's Year!
Old 5 Feb 2004, 12:50 (Ref:863969)   #8
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Agreed, I dont think they are in trouble at all. It's just testing afterall.

As for the top 3, I've narrowed it down to 6 outcomes:

Ferrari, Williams, Mclaren

or

Ferrari, McLaren, Williams

or

Williams, Ferrari, McLaren

or

Williams, McLaren, Ferrari

or

McLaren, Ferrari, Williams

or

McLaren, Williams, Ferrari

Old 5 Feb 2004, 12:58 (Ref:863979)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think you could well be on to something there
Old 5 Feb 2004, 15:57 (Ref:864175)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow..that must be the surprise of the century!
Old 5 Feb 2004, 16:03 (Ref:864184)   #11
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well they were testing with a heavy fuel load... but it intrigues me that they aren't faster. You never know, they could be sandbagging, as they have been designing this car for about 18 months now
Old 5 Feb 2004, 17:31 (Ref:864278)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
gee.... WREX.. you should be a bookie... who'd have thought that about THOSE possibilities...
Old 5 Feb 2004, 19:18 (Ref:864406)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing is the car has been quick and you don't just lose pace. Therefore I can only assume they're confident of the car's speed and are working on other things without feeling the need for "show-off" lap times.

Of course the tabloid headlines F1 attracts love to suggest a big team is in trouble.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 20:36 (Ref:864508)   #14
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Well Jasonhill, if its because DC is slow it doesn't say much for the rest of the drivers in GP racing. DC got fastest lap at Silverstone's British GP last year during Barrichello's meteoric win and remember how slow TGF was that day? If DC is so bad, so slow, how did Mikey win the WC last year? Or are you insinuating that Ferrari's Schumacher/Barrichello arrangement was extended to the whole field just so TGF could win his sixth title?
Old 5 Feb 2004, 20:58 (Ref:864530)   #15
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seriously doubt they are in trouble. Mac used to be consistently at the top of the times in previous years of testing. This time around its not so. I dont think it because the car is slow though. I think its because they know how fast it is on low fuel and are trying to sort out the heavy fuel runs.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 02:42 (Ref:864934)   #16
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never count McLaren out. Last year was their "restructuring" year. They've had plenty of time to develop this car. This type of discussion comes up every year. Testing is only testing. Wait till Melbourne to make judgements of speed.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 02:59 (Ref:864946)   #17
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find it strange that no one can conceive of the possibility for Renault to become 3rd. Given their rate of improvment and their high level of competitiveness at certain races last year it's certainly possible. Remember MS got LAPPED. Historically no team is at the top forever and new teams rise to the top. The status quo may be in for a change.

Also, I have not had a good feeling about McLaren lately. I think it's entirely possible they may not do that well this year.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 04:01 (Ref:864982)   #18
zonda
Rookie

zonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tere,
i agree DC is quick, problem is he doesn't seem to be able to string 16 quick races together, only the occasional which is not the best way to win a WC.

Regarding Mclaren, i would be surprised if they are that far of the pace. Like mentioned above, they where off the pace last year and where the only one with a driver in contention for the WC in the last race of the year.

dave
Old 6 Feb 2004, 09:11 (Ref:865157)   #19
Barny
Racer

Barny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never write McLaren off, they have admitted they had problems last year, the car was said to be very difficult on the limit, which is why both drivers qualifying was inconsistent, they also has poor reliability and they they were developing two cars all season, yet they were still a major player.
They will be moving into the Paragon this year which will improve thier facilities no end, the old factory was small cramped and outdated.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 14:09 (Ref:865456)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That "small, cramped and outdated" factory is still better than what many teams have.

In terms of the pace of the car, McLaren will be there or there-abouts, as they always are.

A few weeks ago, they set very quick times in Valencia and some people were saying they were guaranteed to win. Then we hear it about Williams, and now both of them will apparently be overshadowed by BAR and Renault - it's all nonsense.

Still, I suppose making wild claims based on a few testing times is what happens every winter.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 14:24 (Ref:865475)   #21
Gt_R
Veteran

Quote:"I find it strange that no one can conceive of the possibility for Renault to become 3rd...their high level of competitiveness at certain races last year it's certainly possible. Remember MS got LAPPED."

Hmmm...while i don't doubt Renault possess the quality and potential to perform and challenge the top 3... the car just in front of the "lapped" MS was a Renault of Jarno...which was also lapped

Last edited by Gt_R; 6 Feb 2004 at 14:25.