Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 May 2008, 09:15 (Ref:2194250)   #26
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenok
And why they must enter DTM? Not WTCC?
Who was claiming that?!? Certainly not me.

Quote:
They've never had V8 in their model line. And RWD.
And I'm sure you find many RWD cars at your local Audi shop?!?
Old 5 May 2008, 09:24 (Ref:2194258)   #27
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They will lose Loeb and it is great damage
Well you never know, Seb might turn to circuit racing. But anyway a brand is way bigger than a driver.

Quote:
And why they must enter DTM? Not WTCC?
C5 is way too big for WTCC. Besides what use is for Citroen to go head to head with Seat and Chevy?The C5 aims right at Audi and Mercedes.

Last edited by Go_For_Pole; 5 May 2008 at 09:27.
Old 5 May 2008, 09:30 (Ref:2194262)   #28
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
And I'm sure you find many RWD cars at your local Audi shop?!?
But they can be V8. When I see Citroen RWD and V8 are the last what I think. I think it's not good for marketing purposes.
On the other hand French must develop their V8 engines and I don't know any V8 from PSA.
Old 5 May 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2194266)   #29
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
When I see Citroen RWD and V8 are the last what I think. I think it's not good for marketing purposes.
V8=premium and it is true that currently when you see Citroen you tend to associate it with smaller cars. But that can be one idea behind a marketing campaign, to change perceptions.
Old 5 May 2008, 09:37 (Ref:2194268)   #30
Valenok
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
Well you never know, Seb might turn to circuit racing. But anyway a brand is way bigger than a driver.
Is Seb good enough for DTM-racing?
I just want to say that Loeb is one more reason to leave WRC
Old 5 May 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2194269)   #31
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
But they can be V8. When I see Citroen RWD and V8 are the last what I think. I think it's not good for marketing purposes.
On the other hand French must develop their V8 engines and I don't know any V8 from PSA.

Did you bother to read the TCT news article? There is a big chance it wont be Petrol V8's in DTM for 2010...
Smaller highly efficient high on enviromental tech engines is right down PSAs ally...
Old 5 May 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2194280)   #32
Valenok
Racer

Quote:
Did you bother to read the TCT news article? There is a big chance it wont be Petrol V8's in DTM for 2010...
Smaller highly efficient high on enviromental tech engines is right down PSAs ally...
So big changes? I'm afraid it isn't simple - i'd like to see V6turbo, but I think BMW has another opinion. May be "not over 6 cyl" as Class 1? Not a bad idea, I think...
Old 5 May 2008, 10:51 (Ref:2194324)   #33
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Really? Because it's been a while since i saw the Peugeot brand name in both WRC and Dakar Type Rallying. Also what world class racing format do you see both brands in going head to head?
Peugeot and Citroen have battled fiercely in the WRC. In 2002 Peugeot was a top-dog in WRC, with Burns and Gronholm. In that year Citroen entered with Loeb and Radstrom. 2003 was Citroens first complete year in WRC, with an effort completely independant from Peugeot. Peugeot stayed as an official works-team until 2005, with Gronholm and Martin. in 2006 there were still some very professional privateers in the WRC with a 307 WRC, Stohl and H. Solberg.
Old 5 May 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2194354)   #34
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
This is true of course but when Peugeot quit WRC it was stated that PSA would not allow such a thing to happen again.
Old 5 May 2008, 12:19 (Ref:2194357)   #35
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
i'd like to see V6turbo, but I think BMW has another opinion.
I don't think BMW would dislike that, they've got a biturbo V6 in their line up (the engine from the 335 / 535) which would be perfectly suitable. However, the common carbon base chassis would be more against BMW's will as they want to race cars based on their production cars (like WTCC and their GT2 M3), not silhouettes.
Old 5 May 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2194364)   #36
Valenok
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
I don't think BMW would dislike that, they've got a biturbo V6 in their line up (the engine from the 335 / 535) which would be perfectly suitable. However, the common carbon base chassis would be more against BMW's will as they want to race cars based on their production cars (like WTCC and their GT2 M3), not silhouettes.
V6 from BMW? I'm surprized. I think, BMW is fond of inline sheme, not V6. 335/535 also have 6 cylindres in line.
As for common chassi, it remember me V8Star - common chassi and other parts, but DTM will have original engine.
Old 5 May 2008, 12:41 (Ref:2194369)   #37
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Hehe, guess that shows how closely I've been following rally the last decade. Thanks for the lesson Werner

I do remember the PSA brandswitch in Dakar though and wondering if the WRC way might have had something to do with signed contracts with drivers?
Old 5 May 2008, 12:51 (Ref:2194372)   #38
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
V6 from BMW? I'm surprized. I think, BMW is fond of inline sheme, not V6. 335/535 also have 6 cylindres in line.
As for common chassi, it remember me V8Star - common chassi and other parts, but DTM will have original engine.
I stand corrected, you are completely right. I had read over the 'V' part, BMW is inline indeed.
Old 5 May 2008, 14:54 (Ref:2194438)   #39
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
Maybe BMW themselves would still not field cars, but maybe they'd support interested privateers. With a common chassis and reduced aero they only had to supply engines.
Hopefully this new rules will bring independant privateer efforts back into DTM.

- Lola-DTM-chassis: 200.000€
- fake BMW-engine built by Zytek: 100.000€
- Beating the factory squads of Audi and Mercedes: Priceless...
Old 5 May 2008, 15:18 (Ref:2194455)   #40
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Maybe BMW themselves would still not field cars, but maybe they'd support interested privateers. With a common chassis and reduced aero they only had to supply engines.
Hopefully this new rules will bring independant privateer efforts back into DTM.

- Lola-DTM-chassis: 200.000€
- fake BMW-engine built by Zytek: 100.000€
- Beating the factory squads of Audi and Mercedes: Priceless...
Sounds like a wet dream. If this is possible with the new regs I dont see any reason why STCC/BTCC and its likes wont follow it. It could be the greatest.
Old 5 May 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2194488)   #41
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always wonder why the DTM doesn't do this: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/gallery.php?num=7353

They have Mercs, BMWs, Jags, Audis...
Old 5 May 2008, 17:44 (Ref:2194524)   #42
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And the cars are slower than Super 2000.

The best thing for touring car racing would be for the DTM and ADAC Procar to merge in to one S2000 series covering Central Europe.
Old 5 May 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2194525)   #43
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
And the cars are slower than Super 2000.

The best thing for touring car racing would be for the DTM and ADAC Procar to merge in to one S2000 series covering Central Europe.
Naw, the best would be DTM re-naming itself to DRM running to slightly altered GT2 rules with Porsches, M3s, CLKs and Audi R8s/S5s.

I don't think S2000 would ever really fly in Germany. After all STW was never nearly as popular as DTM.
Old 5 May 2008, 19:19 (Ref:2194570)   #44
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Well DTM used to be "S2000" type cars (before S2000 existed). What makes DTM so successful today is all the Promo and big recognized names in the sport. DTM is extremely well managed on that end. No reason to assume the same couldn't be made with the same resources for S2000 type of cars.
Old 5 May 2008, 20:34 (Ref:2194642)   #45
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was STW, which was discontinued when they kicked life into DTM again. DTM has always run fast/spectacular cars. But another manufacteror won't make it (much) better, neither will new regs. Kill it, and focus on things that have the potential to entertain. Like the BTCC, or sportscars.
Old 5 May 2008, 20:43 (Ref:2194650)   #46
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well DTM used to be "S2000" type cars (before S2000 existed). What makes DTM so successful today is all the Promo and big recognized names in the sport. DTM is extremely well managed on that end. No reason to assume the same couldn't be made with the same resources for S2000 type of cars.
DTM never used anything like S2000...the Class 1 cars were far different animals (and IMO still the coolest touring cars on earth...unfortunately ridiculously expensive too)

I don't like the fact that it will be essentially a spec series if they introduce the single chassis, on the other hand, they aren't really touring cars at the moment anyway and with the new regs, at least it's easier for a new brand to join. I suspect we'd see a lot more "Citroens" if you can develop a new car for whatever change you got lying around
Old 5 May 2008, 23:36 (Ref:2194755)   #47
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
That was STW, which was discontinued when they kicked life into DTM again.
How can you say something as silly as DTM not being called DTM but STW and then say DTM was started up again?!?

The Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft (German Touring Car Championship, or DTM) was a touring car racing series held from 1984 to 1996.

And here you can find some videos from the time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUAE-819OG4

STW was run 94-99 and is something else...
Old 5 May 2008, 23:43 (Ref:2194761)   #48
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye
the Class 1 cars were far different animals (and IMO still the coolest touring cars on earth...unfortunately ridiculously expensive too)
It was only changed to class 1 cars in 93, and that change is probably what killed it off in the end. But even a class 1 car is closer to an S2000 car then todays DTM cars (which really is a pure GT car).
Old 6 May 2008, 00:44 (Ref:2194788)   #49
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
It was only changed to class 1 cars in 93, and that change is probably what killed it off in the end. But even a class 1 car is closer to an S2000 car then todays DTM cars (which really is a pure GT car).
1.) I think he was refering to Gr. A as a S2000 predecessor
2.) DTM is not even like true GT racing but more like Super GT/Rolex GT prep2 which are -by the majority of the fans - not regarded as true GT series.
I guess they are even closer to NASCAR than to S2000.
Old 6 May 2008, 01:16 (Ref:2194802)   #50
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, thought the DTM car were pure tube-frame chassis with a carbon body resembling the street car but aero-modified, aka the NASCAR way. Do wish they would develop and world-wide touring car standard, maybe bringing other manufacturers into DTM can make a rules package others can pick up. The C5 looks like a good DTM silhouette and isn't a bad looking car, RWD V8 (petrol or diesel?)