Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 22 Mar 2017, 14:02 (Ref:3720647)   #1
rx4u
Rookie

UK-ROI
Portsmouth
rx4u should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A new outlook at Lydden could we see change and and a brighter future for Rallycross

Noticed that Lydden has a number of new motorsport events planned in 2017, the farce that is Millionaires rallycross that is leaving and gone to other circuit does these free up the current owners to make available the circuit to other formed rallycross championships. Having seen the tri rallycross challenge from years ago and the challenge Europe series ( not sure that is still going) or International meetings, could this mean other national championships could use Lydden as an away event with its history and closeness to the channel? Are the Millionaires rallycross involved with the organisation of the British series? in some way which restricts what can be held at Lydden or can the owners do there own things. Could we see the series that runs in the north blyton croft hold away events now at lydden.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 22 Mar 2017, 14:12 (Ref:3720650)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Common sense would suggest that it would be a good idea to have a broader range of events at Lydden - more rallycross, more sprints, more circuit racing. The trouble is that as we've seen common sense seems to be in short supply.

There is also the problem with the surface of the circuit - the tarmac is ruined. The whole circuit needs re-surfacing - some clubs avoid Lydden because the surface is so bad, others have specific entries in their regs that reference Lydden (mainly those that limit the number of tyres that can be used - rounds at Lydden allow a more generous allowance of tyres as they just get shredded).
Old 22 Mar 2017, 14:54 (Ref:3720658)   #3
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
World RallyX moving to Silverstone only effects Lydden in that it has lost a revenue stream.
Would not call the BTRDA a north based series after all there are currently only 3 venues for Rallycross in England.

Bit of a catch 22 with Lydden, it needs money to develop it, but needs the revenue from events to do it.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 15:00 (Ref:3720661)   #4
rx4u
Rookie

UK-ROI
Portsmouth
Only 3 venues didn't realise, so adding Lydden to that series bring north and south together would bring benefits to drivers to compete at the circuits I guess
Old 22 Mar 2017, 18:36 (Ref:3720717)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I cant imagine having 3 or 4 events a year plus numerous photo days of cars driving gravel all over its asphalt does the surface any good.

I couldn't really care less about Lydden as a venue. it would be sad for local people to lose it, but the real locals would be happy for it to go, it is heavily restricted already, in the middle of nowhere, hard to see anything much bigger than club racing even being there.

It is run by a group of people I have little time for who have changed the rallycross layout and ruined it to the point where most of the supposed gravel is broken tar and concrete, they have installed a pointless jump in a dangerous place on the track and put a tarmac inner on the best corner to ruin that too.

I will say they have invested in some good things. better pits, new comm box etc. So not all bad.

The place is steeped in rallycross history, but not much else. And it is being drowned of that to some extent.

They need different events there, but they shot themselves in the foot dropping the race series a few years ago. So they only really have themselves to blame.

They have managed to push it as a filming venue a lot, that is good money, maybe they go more into events than race meetings.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 20:08 (Ref:3720743)   #6
rx4u
Rookie

UK-ROI
Portsmouth
Couldn't imagine rallycross not being lydden the circuit has changed a lot, surly concerns over the lack of gravel must of been raised but events have still been held so I Spose can't all be bad. Holding other events and shows can help bring in revenue I guess not having to pay to host the posh rallycross the owners could if willing use to improve the surfaces or they think it's suitable enough.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 21:05 (Ref:3720758)   #7
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read today that Blyton Park is sold to Ginetta. According to the press release they are also going to develop the track. Although they barely mentioned rallycross, it could be an opportunity to have a proper rallycrosstrack that can be used multiple times a year.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 21:53 (Ref:3720770)   #8
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loosing a WRX round as a real track might mean you loose it forever. Höljes for example got a report of things that needed to be improved around the circuit. It was 83 pages long, no kidding, and they will have to spend millions in SEK for rebuilding and adding another floor to the secretary and stewards office next to the start. Doesn't make it easier either when IMG and FIA takes almost all of the profits and the Höljes organisation is left with a big bill and things that needs to be improved, adding further costs.

There are other events in Höljes though besides from WRX. A very competitive crosskart round, folkrace and the "Höljes festival", and a regional rallycross round. Other former WRX or ERC circuits still have rallycross competitions/rounds and other events and they haven't died out.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 22:23 (Ref:3720778)   #9
rx4u
Rookie

UK-ROI
Portsmouth
I'm all for the Millionaires Rallycross abandoning the historic circuits from what I have seen using the history of the sport was all they needed to help them develop it into there Millionaires playground. Yes notable figures from the past have used it and are benifitting from it much to manys dissatisfaction. As soon as Solberg jumped on bored with his many €'s and took it to another level there will only be one final outcome sooner the better alround, what would it take to wrest the ERC title away from them? and develop the sport back up to a more accessible level for the many racers currently sitting in the background waiting for the bubble to burst.
Rallycross back to basics in the own national series would be a start one would think
Old 23 Mar 2017, 08:00 (Ref:3720837)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed fades

IMG are sucking the life and money out of rallycross. And that was my fear from the start. You can stick your head in the sand all you want, and lots of people do, but there is nothing there to establish the future. My biggest fear is that tracks like Holjes do this work, then get dumped for a venue in a car park in Stockholm who can afford to bid more and win the bid.

Circuits that run rallycross can only usually do so a few times a year, not like a normal track that can hold track days, race events etc all year to recoup the money to some extent. An RX venue cannot do this as easily, only with testing and national events a few times a year.

Because IMG don't give a flying about Holjes, not even a slight damn. What they want is someone else bidding to make them more money. To start a turf war as they have in Germany no doubt. Quite why we have 2 German rounds in a country that has never really embraced rallycross to the same level as Sweden or Finland or Norway is utterly beyond me, oh no wait, money. Of course.

Holjes are lucky they get big crowds, but I would think their race fee is massive, this is not a way to improve rallycross, make it better, it is simply a way of making money. NOTHING more. The tracks like Slomzcyn, Valkenswaard all knew they could not make this pay so bowed out, fair play to them. They came out with their heads and tracks alive still as they did not take on the debt. Some tracks no doubt feel trapped by IMG and that is exactly what they want, to push you into making unnecessary improvements to a venue that does not need them for what it does all year round. But for one weekend a year.

A decent promoter would have offered a better deal to these existing venues, to tempt them, help them, but no IMG said we'll go to Turkey they pay more, lol that went well, or Argentina, they pay more too, lol that went even better, Italy, yes they will pay aswell, and there were 5 people there and that failed aswell.

It's not big enough to warrant these pathetic fees, and it never will be for existing venues other than France, if even Holjes cant make money that ahs to be telling you something surely.

What happens then to Holjes if they lose the round, they probably go under and the sport loses another famous and good track possibly as does Swedish rallycross.

IMG would not even slightly care.

I hope that one day things change, but with these cretins involved my fears are that when they go and find something else to pump money into, rallycross has not been made a non event by greed and woeful foresight.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3720932)   #11
rx4u
Rookie

UK-ROI
Portsmouth
So whts the score with rallycross challenge Europe is this still going, and Lydden
Would be great if an event could be held, so many names have either pa ckled up or mothballed cars. Would like to see an International Meeting at Lydden with the likes of Scott backing it he has a good fleet of cars maybe he could attract some big names to help attract sponsorship for the event. loco drink company could bE good
Old 27 Mar 2017, 06:04 (Ref:3721754)   #12
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
End of season British Rallycross Grand Prix at Lydden from 2018 would replace some lost revenue from WorldRX moving to Silverstone

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 27 Mar 2017, 06:47 (Ref:3721762)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Croft won't give up the meeting though, not sure if it is tied in contract wise, but I can't see Croft giving it up.

And why should they, other tracks had their chance to run that event years ago and Croft took the plunge.

Sadly now it is basically a British championship weekend with a few foreigners, it could attract better at Lydden no doubt, but unless they want to buy the title off Croft or DDMC, it will never happen.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 08:46 (Ref:3721796)   #14
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given the proximity to France, I wonder if a combined French round would work. With the strength of the Championship in France, this would be fantastic. It's easier to get to for French fans that Kerlabo too.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 08:47 (Ref:3721798)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It would be a shame to see less rallyx at Lydden, let's hope more races makes sure the circuit doesn't go to waste
Old 27 Mar 2017, 09:21 (Ref:3721811)   #16
rx4u
Rookie

UK-ROI
Portsmouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Given the proximity to France, I wonder if a combined French round would work. With the strength of the Championship in France, this would be fantastic. It's easier to get to for French fans that Kerlabo too.
One could only dream of this happening nice thought, the Belgium and Dutch championships would I think be a more suitable option as it has proven credibility. Just how there series are fairing at the moment I'm not sure but combining the nations would I'm sure boost the entry's and be more enticing for competitors as the circuits have been a feature for a long time for the respective series, would like to see Lydden, Valkenswaard, and Massmechelen in a series these are all accessible and not to far away! I believe Essay is a stunning track but may be just a little to far?
Old 27 Mar 2017, 09:49 (Ref:3721829)   #17
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The Benelux countries are struggling for numbers now too, their national series is even worse than ours for numbers, they should clearly be running together. Maybe losing WRX is a reason for this, not sure.

We in Britain need to do two things.

One is amalgamate the BTRDA and RAC series. No brainer that someone with balls should have done years ago in the MSA. Or should never have allowed the Stott split years ago.

Two amalgamate with Ireland like we used to and visit there for either a Mondello double header or there and another track like we used to. Hopefully then some of their guys would be enticed to come over aswell as they used to. More tricky this one due to costs obviously.

Combining with France is nice on paper, but why on earth would they want us!!! Our cars don't match their classes other than Supercar and their series is going fine thanks!!
Old 27 Mar 2017, 11:52 (Ref:3721845)   #18
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebby View Post
'replace some lost revenue from WorldRX moving to Silverstone'
Assuming that the loses that are rumored are untrue and aren't in big 6 figure pound numbers for the lydden rounds the past years. WRX is expensive.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3721861)   #19
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
And let's be honest here, Silverstone are hardly flush are they!!
Old 27 Mar 2017, 16:05 (Ref:3721900)   #20
rx4u
Rookie

UK-ROI
Portsmouth
When the rich boys leave Lydden and go an play at silverstone for the OTT Rallycross what's the likelihood of this being another permanent track open to use by the minions or is it just a pop up Mickey Mouse track?
Old 28 Mar 2017, 07:52 (Ref:3722074)   #21
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think you will have to wait and see, I have not heard anything about it yet, but will probably go there a few times this year, so will see if anything is being done work wise.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3722088)   #22
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I think you will have to wait and see, I have not heard anything about it yet, but will probably go there a few times this year, so will see if anything is being done work wise.
There is a pic in the Silverstone thread:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=147224&page=3