Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2014, 21:32 (Ref:3433248)   #76
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Yes I agree they have and they look fine on a flat plane.. On a F1 car they are exposed and have a "wagon wheel" look to my eyes, but hey it's all subjective in the end it's only my opinion..

I am not opposed to change, I am opposed to change just for the sake of it..

I understand Michelins reluctance to come back to F1 because they produce the tires for LMP so then so why not have F1 use the same specification,if that is indeed even possible ??
By "worked out just fine" I was meaning more the technical aspects.

They may have turned into fashion, but the larger wheels/lower profile tires did, after all, start in tin top racing for functional reasons.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 01:40 (Ref:3433307)   #77
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
By "worked out just fine" I was meaning more the technical aspects.

They may have turned into fashion, but the larger wheels/lower profile tires did, after all, start in tin top racing for functional reasons.
Precisely!

Hembrey is just full of it trying to protect his patch!

The article criticizes 18" wheels and at the same time states that Pirelli want to go to 19" or 20" rims. Make up your mind son!
Old 13 Jul 2014, 14:40 (Ref:3433449)   #78
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

*As foot note* most road car related tyre people I have spoken to think that low profile tyres are a pain in the neck, due to the lack of rubber between the tire, the rim and the road surface..
Put 13" wheels and the brakes that fit under them on those peoples cars and I will bet money they will change their mind PDQ. Road cars today have become too heavy and too fast too utilise a smaller rim than 15" and the OEM market in general is using 16" minimum. It is only the extreme end of the after market that uses stupidly low profiles.
Old 14 Jul 2014, 02:50 (Ref:3433718)   #79
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Put 13" wheels and the brakes that fit under them on those peoples cars and I will bet money they will change their mind PDQ. Road cars today have become too heavy and too fast too utilise a smaller rim than 15" and the OEM market in general is using 16" minimum. It is only the extreme end of the after market that uses stupidly low profiles.
Yes. My old Alfa sedan had originally had 80 aspect ratio tires. I would have my fun driving it, but when I went over the limit, the yaw on those tall tires made it a challenge to get back. When I later went to 40 aspect ratio tires, it was very noticeably easier to get back.
Old 14 Jul 2014, 14:52 (Ref:3433833)   #80
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I understand Michelins reluctance to come back to F1 because they produce the tires for LMP so then so why not have F1 use the same specification,if that is indeed even possible ??
not sure if this has been brought up already, but last year didnt Michelin cite the smaller rim size as one of the reasons not to come back,even going so far as saying they prefer 18"?

to put this rule change, and Hembrey's comments' in a different context, could we be seeing the first stages of a tire manu switch and/or a return to two tire manus?

its F1 and the reason is never as simple as 'this is what the fans asked for' right?
Old 19 Aug 2014, 18:14 (Ref:3445483)   #81
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
According to this, Pirelli will be ready to supply 18'' wheels as early as 2016.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115431
Old 20 Aug 2014, 00:24 (Ref:3445564)   #82
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
According to this, Pirelli will be ready to supply 18'' wheels as early as 2016.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115431
It takes how long to design wheels and tyres? Send the design brief to China, you will have them in a month.
Old 20 Aug 2014, 09:53 (Ref:3445637)   #83
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
It takes how long to design wheels and tyres? Send the design brief to China, you will have them in a month.
Why bother, just switch to Michelin.
Old 20 Aug 2014, 10:43 (Ref:3445646)   #84
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why bother, just switch to Michelin.
Just give them the option of switching to 18" wheels if they want to and the option of running any tyre they like on them.
Now that would be fun.
Old 20 Aug 2014, 22:42 (Ref:3445836)   #85
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Just give them the option of switching to 18" wheels if they want to and the option of running any tyre they like on them.
Now that would be fun.
No it wouldn't. They would all switch.
Old 20 Aug 2014, 22:50 (Ref:3445838)   #86
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Yes they would have to switch to the 18" rims, and I bet you they all would have all switched by Monza on 7 Sept.

2 years really Pirelli!
Old 20 Aug 2014, 23:24 (Ref:3445846)   #87
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
On reflection, that would answer the headline question, yes 18" wheels are a good idea!
Old 31 Aug 2014, 17:38 (Ref:3449296)   #88
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tires are potentially very relevant, at least for road cars. However, with the current standardized, 13-inch, relatively wide and artificially non-durable slick tires the potential is not used. And that is a shame. A Formula One which is entirely focused at the show and embraces artificially means, will not survive that long; the stakeholders cannot find a reason for their presence then.
Therefore I think 18-inch wheels are the way to go, but Formula One should take a step further. Harder, 18-inch, smaller all-weather tires from various suppliers is the way to go. Those tires would provide better racing - pit stops are no longer necessary and hence drivers are forced to pass on the track - and a more spectacular drive, as they provide a bigger slip angle.
Old 31 Aug 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3449353)   #89
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Tires are potentially very relevant, at least for road cars. However, with the current standardized, 13-inch, relatively wide and artificially non-durable slick tires the potential is not used. And that is a shame. A Formula One which is entirely focused at the show and embraces artificially means, will not survive that long; the stakeholders cannot find a reason for their presence then.
Therefore I think 18-inch wheels are the way to go, but Formula One should take a step further. Harder, 18-inch, smaller all-weather tires from various suppliers is the way to go. Those tires would provide better racing - pit stops are no longer necessary and hence drivers are forced to pass on the track - and a more spectacular drive, as they provide a bigger slip angle.
Michelin ......
Old 31 Aug 2014, 22:54 (Ref:3449355)   #90
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Michelin ......
A tyre war would be interesting.....
Old 31 Aug 2014, 23:00 (Ref:3449356)   #91
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Michelin ......
Silverstone 2013.
Old 1 Sep 2014, 01:22 (Ref:3449378)   #92
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Silverstone 2013.
Those were Pirelli's finest tyres Pingguest.

Sorry you'll have to spell it out.