Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 28 Sep 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1109393)   #1
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
birmingham superprix

erm i hope this is the right place is not could one of the mods move it to the correct place ....

anyway i was just watching the local news and they were on about birmingham city council wanted to put on a street race the same weekend as the motorshow in 2006, on the old street track but this time with saloon cars. i dont know what you all think but this i think ill be great news.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 15:13 (Ref:1109461)   #2
tyrrellf1
Rookie

tyrrellf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope that it happens but I think that the Council got its fingers very badly burned last time and won't support it this - more's the pity.

A return of the Brum street race and the mooted Manchester street race would make interesting "one off venues" for BTCC, F3 (inc Euro F3), Champ Cars, Superfund Euro F3000 (or whatever its called) etc etc etc.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 20:24 (Ref:1109756)   #3
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh yes please - but I doubt it will happen. Too much fun for councillors and Labour MPs. (ducks).

Jim
Old 28 Sep 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1109758)   #4
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh I would love to see it happen. And if the people on the telly news tonight are to be believed, it's going to happen!
Old 28 Sep 2004, 21:32 (Ref:1109842)   #5
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it was a Birmingham City Council representative that was interviewed on BBC Midlands Today, and he was the one seeming all keen about it.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 21:37 (Ref:1109848)   #6
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Sowman
I think it was a Birmingham City Council representative that was interviewed on BBC Midlands Today, and he was the one seeming all keen about it.
That's what I thought too, Ian. Hope it all comes off.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 21:55 (Ref:1109860)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wonder if they know that they require a government injunction? There is only one event that runs in mainland Britain on closed road The Jim CLark Memorial Rally.

Due to us having fairly rubbish laws in this country - even if you close a road the speed limit still applies - to have that lifted you need a specific goverment injunction - from Mr. Prescott himself I believe. London could potentially happen as Ken has enough clout to make that happen - do Brum city councillors? I doubt it very much.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 22:12 (Ref:1109870)   #8
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
Wonder if they know that they require a government injunction? There is only one event that runs in mainland Britain on closed road The Jim CLark Memorial Rally.

Due to us having fairly rubbish laws in this country - even if you close a road the speed limit still applies - to have that lifted you need a specific goverment injunction - from Mr. Prescott himself I believe. London could potentially happen as Ken has enough clout to make that happen - do Brum city councillors? I doubt it very much.
ermm, haven't they all ready got that?
How did they run the Super Prix in the eighties? Did the Birmingham Street Race legislation have a time limit applied, if not, the precendent has been set it just needs the Council to back it and find funding, surely?
Regards,

Jim Lamb
Old 28 Sep 2004, 22:14 (Ref:1109872)   #9
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JimW
Oh yes please - but I doubt it will happen. Too much fun for councillors and Labour MPs. (ducks).

Jim
Jim, if they saw what you can do with a Crane, they definitely wouldn't allow it!
Rgrds,

Jim Lamb
Old 28 Sep 2004, 22:45 (Ref:1109888)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ss, Birmingham still has the relevant injunction in place I believe.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 22:49 (Ref:1109892)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The only reason it made a loss last time was because the council refused a mega-buck cigarette sponsorship, and instead went for Halfords with an ASH message for a lot less. I won't comment on the right or wrong of that, it depends on your view on smoking, but they made a policy decision.

BTCC on the old circuit would be good. Champ Car would be better...
Old 28 Sep 2004, 23:51 (Ref:1109919)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My understanding is that the injunction is no longer in place - a serious attempt was prevented earlier this year - I would point you in the direction of private land. a la Hyde Park
Old 29 Sep 2004, 05:41 (Ref:1110010)   #13
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
It was an Act of Parliament and it is still in force. What it needs is a statutory instrument - something signed off by a Minister - to activate it for a 2-3 day period.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 07:02 (Ref:1110051)   #14
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this would get a lot of support from the local community in Birmingham.

Birmingham has changed dramatically since the mid 80's, and there is a genuine 'can do' mentality in the local business sector.

However, I can't see the original circuit being used, as two areas of the track are earmarked for resedential development.

Last edited by Redlake27; 29 Sep 2004 at 07:03.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 07:34 (Ref:1110061)   #15
tyrrellf1
Rookie

tyrrellf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The big problem with the layout last time was the lack of suitable pit space - mind you that does not seem to hamper Monaco - so a new layout may allow the opportunity to address this issue. Particularly if they intend to attract a high profile series such as Champ cars.

Lets hope that it goes ahead. What can the ordibary fan do to help? Imagine the momentum that could be generated if all the 10-Tenthers wrote to the council and promised to buy tickets!
Old 29 Sep 2004, 08:01 (Ref:1110083)   #16
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you are interested see http://www.birmingham101.com/superprix/ . Sadly what that site seems to be talking about is not a race but a demonstration.

(I assume that they and this thread are talking about the same initiative.)

I'm trying to find the legislation (not injunction) which allowed the previous races. I seem to remember that it was for five years but want to see how/whether that might be extended. (Getting a Statutory Instrument for a renewal as opposed to a whole new piece of Private legislation would be a very different thing.)

Regards

Jim
Old 29 Sep 2004, 08:18 (Ref:1110097)   #17
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After the first 5 years an extended circuit was proposed that addressed the problem of the pits.I think it was decided that F1 would be needed to make it financially viable,and Bernie would not co-operate!!.Seemed to be a reasonable crowd at dismal Donington last Sunday for BTCC,so maybe that would work?
Old 29 Sep 2004, 13:05 (Ref:1110329)   #18
Ian Sowman
Veteran

The Midlands Today report was definitely talking about a 'saloon car' race - one would expect therefore BTCC - on the original circuit. An earlier poster was correct in saying that the Act of Parliament was still in place.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 00:20 (Ref:1111871)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Yes the act was passed in 1985 and still applies today.
I live in Birmingham and went to the old 1980's Superprix and know people that work on Midlands Today, however I saw the ITV report and they had a map of the track, but had the arrows going round the track the wrong way! Doh!

I drive along virtually the whole circuit each week at some point just going to and from work.
The posts to house the armco is still in place, and there is still some armco barrier left erect from when it last raced in 1990...
Old 1 Oct 2004, 09:29 (Ref:1112095)   #20
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the organiser's email is eve@showplace.uk.com. Send her a mail saying you support it.
I hope it goes ahead as the previous races were wonderful. The midlands is where a race should be held, London gets everything and Manchester has no car history. The Act of Parliament is still in place let's get behind it and get it going.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 11:40 (Ref:1112271)   #21
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
a further point on the Act, it states that the race has to take place on a Bank Holiday weekend.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 21:20 (Ref:1116363)   #22
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
does anyone have the full act?
Old 6 Oct 2004, 00:23 (Ref:1116474)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hansard.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1117067)   #24
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
the press release from the potential organisers is here:
http://www.thegrid.co.uk/Birmingham2006.htm
Old 6 Oct 2004, 16:01 (Ref:1117100)   #25
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Hansard.
Unfortunately not. Legislation is not included in Hansard. Again unfortunately the process of making Acts available on the web has not got as far back as when this Act became law.

Regards

Jim