Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Mar 2012, 15:52 (Ref:3040973)   #226
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
David I can only help with 2!

BHP for Grp A was either 195 or 210, depending on who you ask!!

The Challenge cars were defo not Group A spec as I remember, I will see if I can find out exactly what - IIRC it was loosely GrpN.
Old 18 Mar 2012, 11:42 (Ref:3043848)   #227
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Chunterer, do you know what they revved to to make that sort of power?
Old 18 Mar 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3044146)   #228
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Alas no maybe messrs Watts, Brundle or Taft are lurking on here somewhere?!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 16:36 (Ref:3049506)   #229
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Can't help with the technical stuff- but I have found a pic of Armin Hahne chasing a Camaro during one of the pccasional Metro Turbo appearances in Germany...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7572724...in/photostream
Old 15 Apr 2012, 15:58 (Ref:3059624)   #230
metro22
Rookie

metro22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a Metro that was an endurance racing car in around 1984. It has no shell number but is a seamwelded shell with superb ally cage and rear turrets. it has been run as a turbo though is now not. It has a turbo side exit exhaust and loads of other modifications like Mini heater and under bonnet racing battery. It has holes in the back of the rear wings where fuel fillers have been in the rear corners and the original filler hole is welded up but it now has a more central one. It has been updated to Mk2 headlights and was last used as a sprint car around ten years ago. I will post some images once i have worked out how to do so.
Old 7 May 2012, 11:59 (Ref:3070611)   #231
mario abreu
Rookie

mario abreu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Metro22... I'm really interested in those pics. Please post them when you can!
Mario
Old 10 Aug 2012, 09:13 (Ref:3118263)   #232
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Hmmm interesting developments.

Look out for a Group A Metro Turbo back on track in the UK very soon.....

What's more it will be driven by a quick driver, someone who will be very familiar with them!

Should be fabulous to see again.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 11:04 (Ref:3118302)   #233
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

What's more it will be driven by a quick driver, someone who will be very familiar with them!

A stab in the dark - Patrick Watts?
Old 10 Aug 2012, 14:39 (Ref:3118379)   #234
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
A stab in the dark - Patrick Watts?
So the grapevine suggests.....
Old 10 Aug 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3118383)   #235
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bugger, that's just increased my race insurance policy.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 17:54 (Ref:3118435)   #236
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Ha ha i've just cottoned on!!
Old 23 Oct 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3156605)   #237
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure if this 1982 Datapost Metro leaflet below is of interest to see for anyone on this thread........ (I found it amongst a collection my old Mini stuff).

Old 27 Nov 2012, 10:36 (Ref:3172138)   #238
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro22 View Post
I have a Metro that was an endurance racing car in around 1984. It has no shell number but is a seamwelded shell with superb ally cage and rear turrets. it has been run as a turbo though is now not. It has a turbo side exit exhaust and loads of other modifications like Mini heater and under bonnet racing battery. It has holes in the back of the rear wings where fuel fillers have been in the rear corners and the original filler hole is welded up but it now has a more central one. It has been updated to Mk2 headlights and was last used as a sprint car around ten years ago. I will post some images once i have worked out how to do so.
Apologies for my delayed response to your post 'metro22' but I'd love to see some more photos of your ex-1984 endurance racing Metro. It sounds so much like one of the ex-Group A cars that we're talking about here, and it'd be really nice to try and source it's history in full - assuming you are still unsure of it's exact past?
Old 27 Nov 2012, 10:40 (Ref:3172142)   #239
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

And here is the little baby in question - lifted (hopefully no a problem!) from a post on Facebook by Richard Walbyoff, and captioned...

'1984 Metro turbo being rebuilt ready for 2013 season to be driven by Patrick Watts just like 1984'
Attached Thumbnails
8765_4240647207642_1247278043_n.jpg  
Old 27 Nov 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3172151)   #240
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I really hope that Patrick treats her with the respect she deserves.
Old 28 Dec 2012, 14:33 (Ref:3182452)   #241
justforfun
Rookie

justforfun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I really hope that Patrick treats her with the respect she deserves.
Patrick didn't damage it when he was a works driver so shouldn't now that he owns it I would guess. The interesting thing is it going to kick the arses of the rovers and jag xjs?
Tyres were a problem in period but not now also how much do mini experts like nick swift now know about engines and gearboxes? I am sure the wick was turned down to preserve the gearbox in the eighties. Better oils, fuel, instrumentation etc.
Roll on JD classics rnd1 donnington.
Old 28 Dec 2012, 14:48 (Ref:3182457)   #242
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, if he were to post here, he could confirm the "wick" theories.

And of course, welcome to our friendly forum.
Old 28 Dec 2012, 15:57 (Ref:3182465)   #243
justforfun
Rookie

Hi all, interesting thread I stumbled on when looking for Tips on looking 30 yrs younger just to impress 60 yr old woman who had the same tips. not that interested in cars but It's a fact that the boxes were the achilies heal of the GPA turbos so modern production methods used by the likes of Quaife and better oils should make a big difference.
Look at the qualifying times compared to race times, especially on the long ETC races, something was being looked after to make it last maybe the gearbox or temperatures I guess.
Anyone know where the metro that went to 'young kid as birthday pressie' is now ? I have a friend that is interested now that PW has the 003/006 chassis.
Happy new year justforfun
Old 28 Dec 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3182527)   #244
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
Patrick didn't damage it when he was a works driver so shouldn't now that he owns it I would guess. The interesting thing is it going to kick the arses of the rovers and jag xjs?
Tyres were a problem in period but not now also how much do mini experts like nick swift now know about engines and gearboxes? I am sure the wick was turned down to preserve the gearbox in the eighties. Better oils, fuel, instrumentation etc.
Roll on JD classics rnd1 donnington.
Interesting points raised. Would someone like Nick know more about setting up one of these than the late Roger did in period though?

The other thing I would need to confirm is about the gearbox.... when you mention modern gearboxes like Quaife... surely the car would have to run an original box under the rules of the JDC series?

All of which suggests it's down to the driver/s and how good the guys are in the bigger cars that you rightly refer to!
Old 29 Dec 2012, 01:29 (Ref:3182599)   #245
justforfun
Rookie

Gears can be remade the same but better machining, steel and heat treatment. Oils are way more tolerant to heat. Yes the rules are there to stop someone putting in a 6 speed sequential that adds performance not to make people use something that breaks all the time. We don't want to see a senario like the st marys trophy at goodwood this year when half the pre 60 cars retired on the first 3 laps. That brings into question, is motorsport for the drivers or spectators? Chicken or egg? It's actualy for the driver to keep his chosen class attractive, ie compeditive, cost effective and legal or it will
deminish and die. So getting back to subject quickly, the promised metro turbo battles with rovers, jags, capris etc need to last more than a few laps so i hope they don't make the gears of pig iron. Cheers Justforfun
Old 30 Dec 2012, 13:54 (Ref:3182956)   #246
northington
Rookie

northington should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watts 2013 Metro Turbo

Does anyone happen to know who prepared the #35 car for Patrick Watts?
Old 30 Dec 2012, 13:57 (Ref:3182958)   #247
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Are you on Facebook, John?
Old 30 Dec 2012, 14:04 (Ref:3182961)   #248
northington
Rookie

northington should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry no
Old 30 Dec 2012, 14:07 (Ref:3182965)   #249
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
I will send you an email John then.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3183029)   #250
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Copied from my Austin Rover Motorsport Facebook group...

This original 1984 Group A MG Metro Turbo (Patrick Watts #34) was sold and exported to Atlanta following the withdrawal of Austin Rover Motorsport from the 1984 British Saloon Car Championship. It was supplied by Roger Dowson Engineering complete with several freshly rebuilt 200bhp Howley engines, and 10 split rim BBS centre lock wheels. It was campaigned by John Brichetto in the IMSA series as a GTU contender for 3 years. The colour photo shows the same car at Donington in 1984, and the black & white at Road Atlanta in 1985.

This rare car is now FOR SALE, so if anyone is interested please make contact and I will put you in touch with John - also known as 'northington' on here.

Tags
arg, btcc, group a, metro turbo, roger dowson engineering