Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Aug 2009, 09:36 (Ref:2521249)   #26
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
there is a simple solution to the moaners who moan about rural life and noise and being a pain in the butt to everyone else
in the old days we would have burned them at the stake for being a witch
not sure if its still legal
fire can be dangerous, on H&S grounds drowning by ducking stool is better....
Old 14 Aug 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2521321)   #27
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
damn forget the elf n safety brigade will want us to carry out a risk assesment plan before lighting the fire and then the fire may be tooo loud and we get served an ASBO
Old 14 Aug 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2521372)   #28
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Don't forget, smoke is carcinogenic, and you may also need a licence from DEFRA for the CO2 you release...

Ducking? Forget it. Do you know how many forms you have to fill in for disposal of waste in a watercourse?
Old 22 Aug 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2526237)   #29
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary7 View Post
On holiday in New Zealand last year I looked at a couple of the tracks on South Island which had permanent manned measuring posts, and they limit cars to 95dB at 30metres distance and 90deg angle with the car on full power, a much more representitive method.
I've just been looking into this issue as we are taking a couple of cars to NZ for the Bruce McLaren Festival in January 2010 and they recently sent the regulations.

The big problem with this is that you have no way of testing before getting a car 12,000 miles to the circuit and suddenly being told you are over the limit??

I'm not sure what we will do as both cars I am taking run un-silenced in Europe and it will be a significant cost to have silencers made. And even if we do we still run the risk of getting to NZ and the cars are too noisy.

Bit of head scratching going on.....
Old 22 Aug 2009, 20:12 (Ref:2526247)   #30
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re-packable stainless are available in various sizes from Merlin Motorsport Roger.Only problem being that they can be a little bulky.??
Old 22 Aug 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2526295)   #31
driftwood
Veteran

you have no choice but to move with the times and make a system that allows a silencer to be installed for quite meetings and removed for noisy days

there are wars and battles to be fought fight the war but loose the battle over noise as the war is the bigger picture to be allowed to race our cars
Old 23 Aug 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2526852)   #32
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
You can also use adjustable supertrapps as I have and got out of trouble with in the past before building a proper system, they can cost power though.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 21:09 (Ref:2526894)   #33
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
You can also use adjustable supertrapps as I have and got out of trouble with in the past before building a proper system, they can cost power though.
Looking after young Mr. Ashleys needs at Oulton, his LSD as I call it, LDS/Alfa needed to be subdued in the noise department, HSCC regs, aquired said super trap from paddock shop in an effort, they let us race but as for under 105db's not on. Went to Goodwood with a silencer in the system, no chance of passing. Local Partco supplied another, welded the lot up and at 4000 rpm passed, till young Mr. Ashley decided to try a bit.... huge flag black in colour, pee off etc etc. plus of course a huge drop in power. Of course filled exhausts will work not so bad on a big saloon, will not look too bad, just imagine the contraption on the rear end of a P261 exhaust, justifiably described as the finest looking F1 car of all time. Thanks but no thanks. Those at Goodywood that day will remember the rear of a certain Ferrari and it's attendant contraption. looms if the rule spreads.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 00:35 (Ref:2527603)   #34
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have always noticed the visiting UK cars are much louder than the local Australian cars at our race meetings (eg F5000 run mufflers), and was surprised (not unpleasantly) to see cars running completely unsilenced at Silverstone - enjoy it while it lasts is all I can say...

Roger if you find out the measuring technique used by the race organisers you ought to be able to work it out - mind you there can also be the issue of ambient noise at the track increasing readings compared to an otherwise-quiet workshop! Best to err a couple of dB on the safe side I suppose.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 20:30 (Ref:2536728)   #35
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Test day 9th September Goodwood at no more than 97 dingle bells, The thought of those lovely contrived contraptions invented in a vain attempt to curtail all that beautiful music from up-setting the Sunday morning lawn mower brigade. pity I'm going to miiss it.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2536775)   #36
driftwood
Veteran

and the lawn mowers make more racket!
Old 9 Sep 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2537040)   #37
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
and the lawn mowers make more racket!
And it happened Drifty, in spite of an all night effort fitting a standard 'E' exhaust to an HWM/Jaguar [3-4ltr] it failed the 97 dingle bells level, lawnmowers 2 Jaguar 0, the fishing rod is getting nearer or maybe the plop of the float when it hits water will jar the noise orgs into a less excitable state over motor racing.
Old 9 Sep 2009, 13:04 (Ref:2537052)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
What is that 97 db about- my road car won't even make that! I'll stick to Snet at 105db. (but appreciate why you were testing at Goodwood on this occasion! )
Old 9 Sep 2009, 13:39 (Ref:2537069)   #39
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Combe has always been more strict than most circuits because of the local "aggro".
I remember one meeting when my car "just scraped through" and my nearest rival in the championship didn't. He did some Hasty bodge up with some road stuff he found in the local garage and just made it onto the grid.
I recon I could have have won it in the tow truck as he seemed to have lost about 40 HP
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Sep 2009, 14:31 (Ref:2537091)   #40
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
One thing that has P8ssed me off over the years is being at meetings (the same bl**dy meeting) and one racehas to abide by the 105db rule and then some other race on the bill IS allowed to run open pipped and are as noisy as hell.

That is what I object to. A scrutineer will say oooO you are very close to the limit at the noise test yet another race on the bill will not even have noise testing.
Old 9 Sep 2009, 19:18 (Ref:2537251)   #41
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I was advised my car was on the limit again at Rockingham but everywhere else its fine also on the track its dead quite as no induction noise, I really think its about time drive by testing was bought in.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 03:10 (Ref:2537472)   #42
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
One thing that has P8ssed me off over the years is being at meetings (the same bl**dy meeting) and one racehas to abide by the 105db rule and then some other race on the bill IS allowed to run open pipped and are as noisy as hell.

That is what I object to. A scrutineer will say oooO you are very close to the limit at the noise test yet another race on the bill will not even have noise testing.
Yep I found that incongruous at the Silverstone Classic & Roger said he found it frustrating with his Bizzarini (from memory).

I have seen drive-by noise meters at Sandown here in Melbourne which is in the middle of suburbia there are houses within100m of the track
Old 10 Sep 2009, 07:04 (Ref:2537537)   #43
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Yep I found that incongruous at the Silverstone Classic & Roger said he found it frustrating with his Bizzarini (from memory).

I have seen drive-by noise meters at Sandown here in Melbourne which is in the middle of suburbia there are houses within100m of the track
It should at least be all 105db at any given meeting where most races are being run to that - other wise what is the bloody point (and what fool make this stuff up! Surely that one LOUD race will be the one that is P*ssing all the up tight local off.

As long as this never gets like Goodwood Track days / Sprint with 98db. Which is absolute cobblers.

When you can have a road car as Load as you want! Christ you should have heard my last one!
Old 10 Sep 2009, 07:33 (Ref:2537554)   #44
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I went to a trackday once and a TVR Cerbera brand new from the factory failed the noise test!
Old 10 Sep 2009, 07:45 (Ref:2537562)   #45
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Goodwood Revival test days (yesterday and today) are being run at 98db!!!

You should see the lengths that some drivers have to go to to get their cars through. Ever seen a Ferrari with enough plumbing bolted on the back to heat a whole house?
Old 10 Sep 2009, 07:49 (Ref:2537564)   #46
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimlerman View Post
The Goodwood Revival test days (yesterday and today) are being run at 98db!!!

You should see the lengths that some drivers have to go to to get their cars through. Ever seen a Ferrari with enough plumbing bolted on the back to heat a whole house?
I is Laughable - I went there in a Mini Cooper S (No a Real one) and that onely just got in.

I'd have done a few more Track days (but no way I was quitening this thing down after building the thing - http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50591650&hl=en#)
Old 10 Sep 2009, 09:23 (Ref:2537619)   #47
driftwood
Veteran

noise limits vary due to local planning rules snett has 120 limit racmsa set 108 for races but some meets are 105
international races are free hence why u will get 1 race noisy and all others are quite its the specific race not the meeting that is international
sod goodwood to much pomp n ceremony let alone people traffic and noise issues im going fishing
will carry P261 brm beer case!
Old 10 Sep 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2538003)   #48
Philip Venables
Rookie

Australia
Philip Venables should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re Goodwood test days, yesterday and today, noise limit was 105db, not 97db. Track days are usually 98db, open test days and club days vary from 98 to 105db
Old 11 Sep 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2538554)   #49
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Venables View Post
Re Goodwood test days, yesterday and today, noise limit was 105db, not 97db. Track days are usually 98db, open test days and club days vary from 98 to 105db
Stand corrected, 97/98/105 dingle bells still way below a bog standad 'E' exhaust.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 15:21 (Ref:2538560)   #50
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
Stand corrected, 97/98/105 dingle bells still way below a bog standad 'E' exhaust.
These locals / sad do-gooders that move into an area where a classic race venue has been for "ever" need to be rounded up and publicly flogged.