Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Aug 2009, 07:48 (Ref:2522188)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
AC Ace - advice please

I have a friend who is interested in buying an Ace to race in FIA spec races. Who is a good marque expert to talk to as it seems a possible minefield and an expensive mistake if you get it wrong. If you know of a car that is either race ready or needs work PM me... thanks
Old 16 Aug 2009, 07:57 (Ref:2522192)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Andy Shepherd, surely. He's been racing ACs and particularly Aces for years.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 16:16 (Ref:2522393)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
They are very,very expensive for what they are.
Had a Ford engined one.It was crap!
Peter Bradfied has one for sale but get one with race history.
Look good
Old 2 Sep 2009, 11:40 (Ref:2533052)   #4
428FRUA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hampshire
428FRUA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ace Racing

Thanks John, I have raced all kinds of ACs over the last 30 years and won a few championships along the way. I love the brute power of the Cobra, but the Ace Bristol is in another league. Delicate and fabulous to place on the track. The chassis is pre-historic but behaves incredibly well, and the engine is sweet as a nut (with a little help from Steve Stanton). Racing one is not a fight, more like dancing with a beautiful girl! I'm old enough to share my hard won knowledge with anyone who really wants to learn.
Good hunting, Andy.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2533055)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Andy I think you spoke to him last week and he said that you were very helpful..
Old 2 Sep 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2533059)   #6
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428FRUA View Post
Thanks John, I have raced all kinds of ACs over the last 30 years and won a few championships along the way. I love the brute power of the Cobra, but the Ace Bristol is in another league. Delicate and fabulous to place on the track. The chassis is pre-historic but behaves incredibly well, and the engine is sweet as a nut (with a little help from Steve Stanton). Racing one is not a fight, more like dancing with a beautiful girl! I'm old enough to share my hard won knowledge with anyone who really wants to learn.
Good hunting, Andy.
Oooooooooohhhhh............ you have just encouraged me to get on with my project, a 1936 BMW 319/1. Steve Stanton is quoting me to do a race engine for the VSCC Set 3 races next year. It may not have quite the kudos and grunt of a 328, but they are so beautiful, and for the date, a very advanced chassis.

Steve McQueen.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 12:24 (Ref:2533090)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This should raise a laugh,lord knows why I have remembered it but body off resto,you will need 490 pop rivet's to put it back onto the chassis,rivet counter?me?
Old 2 Sep 2009, 12:40 (Ref:2533107)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I rebuilt an ACE Bristol/BMW engine years ago, a very interesting design with cross over pushrods and hemi chambers as I recollect. It was quite funny actually as i recollect because I had a row with the owner of the establishment and left but the engine block was away being bored, a couple of weeks later I got a call from his partner pleading with me to go back and reassemble it as no one could fathom how the thing went back together being a nice chap I did but left as soon as the task was completed.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2533117)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Andy, welcome. I know it's way off topic but dare I ask what state the 428 Silhouette car is in, since the AMOC Super GT races could sure do with some extra entries?
Old 2 Sep 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2533118)   #10
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
This should raise a laugh,lord knows why I have remembered it but body off resto,you will need 490 pop rivet's to put it back onto the chassis,rivet counter?me?
On a 1936 BMW 319/1?

Pop rivets were invented just before WW11, however, I don't think even BMW had a time machine................

Steve McQueen.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2533127)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No,sorry,I was referring to the Ace.Only ever did four restos,did an interesting one for a well known Historic Rallyist,had to extend the drivers side of the cockpit to give him enough leg room!