Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Sep 2009, 13:57 (Ref:2535906)   #1
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rolling start procedure

I think this came up in another thread recently, but I can't remember where. It also came up at Donington at the weekend. What do people understand the correct rolling start procedure to be? Does the race start for everyone when the lights go off, or for each car individually when it crosses the start line? I imagine that there are arguments for both, but what is the right answer? Or isn't there one? Many thanks, Robert
Old 7 Sep 2009, 14:10 (Ref:2535922)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The correct procedure is,as mentioned in'Safety Car Etiquet', there is absolutely no overtaking BEFORE the start finish line for anyone.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 14:25 (Ref:2535930)   #3
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here we go again -- as a Starter my interpretation is ROLLING START - cars in two line, race starts as soon as lights go out; SAFETY CAR start or restart - single file, no overtaking before start/finish line.

If a driver is out of position before the lights go out on a rolling start, I will report it to RC, as for any driver overtaking before the line on a safety car start.

However, possibly one of the clerks who regularly visit may like to comment? JohnGee, Dave Brice?
Old 7 Sep 2009, 14:30 (Ref:2535935)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
It depends on the CoC, championship regs and or circuit geography, some allow racing to start when the red lights go out and some wont allow racing before you cross the start/finish line.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 14:37 (Ref:2535940)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone stated in SC Etiquet,the clerk should re-aquaint himself with the blue book.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2535942)   #6
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rolling start

I guess three different - and informed - views in the first three posts tells its own story. There does seem to be a lot of uncertainty about the subject.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2535943)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Only for some.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2535951)   #8
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Mike Sweeney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably not relevant for Historics, but:

In FIA GT / GT3, and Britcar - all rolling start races - the race starts when the lights go out; whether or not you have passed the start line.

However, under safety car conditions, when the SC extinguishes its' lights and leaves the circuit, no passing may occur until after the start line. However, in the case of Spa where there are sometimes 2 x SC, the cars behind the 2nd SC can re-commence racing when their SC leaves the circuit and green flags are waved at the Marshals posts.

No idea whether the same rules apply for Historic racing, though.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 15:04 (Ref:2535964)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thanks Mike,thats really add'ed to the confusion.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2535977)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
When you start a race from a standing start you start racing when the lights go out no matter where you are on the grid, why would it be different on a rolling start?

Here's the rolling start regulation from the series I do
When a rolling start is used, all cars will follow the pace car in grid order maintaining position until the starting signal is given.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 15:22 (Ref:2535981)   #11
SWCRacing
Racer

SWCRacing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Falcemob is more correct than most, apart from Brian

FIA rolling start as per the International Sporting Code is Red lights out, Race started

MSA (Blue Book) is slightly different in that the particular regulation states that timing will commence once the line is crossed. Ask any CoC when racing starts, and they will say "when the lights go out"

All the above can (and are ) modified by Championship Regs or circuit requirements (Spa I believe)

Best advice? Go to the new driver's briefing (Even if you are not a new driver) and ask the question of the CoC. That way you will have an advantage over your fellow competitors!!
Old 7 Sep 2009, 15:23 (Ref:2535983)   #12
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as per mr sweeney ,thats exactly how we do it in DMN ..
Old 7 Sep 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2536059)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
In that case,in order to stop any unfair advantage,should that be re-worded to 'untill the grid is reached'? ie,no overtaking untill then,it would then become as a standing start,but a rolling standing start----------------------------.I can imagine there being quite a few red flags using this method,perhaps its best just to have standing starts,that would save all of the confusion/questions etc.No doubt someone would have something to ask though.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 18:08 (Ref:2536091)   #14
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Spa earlier this year, it was clearly stated that you could overtake as soon as the lights went out. With a grid of 70 single seaters, the sharper drivers further down the field were able to overtake a lot of cars into the "Hamilton" chicane, on the assumption that the lights had gone out ahead.

I think that's where problems might arise - if the lights hadn't gone out it could all have got a bit nasty. BTW, it took over 30 seconds for the entire field to cross the line. You can cover a lot of ground in 30s...
Old 7 Sep 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2536145)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
my first RS was Spa 2004 . . . 75km/ph we where told . . . until you cross the line, holding formation . . . .little old me (with yellow X sticker just removed) came round La Source to an empty track . . . . everyone nailed it and f***ed off!, cars where drifting up Eu Rouge and running out of road. before I even saw the line.

the start line was about 200m from the bottom of Eu ROuge then.

a Baptism of fire if you like, but another nail in the coffin for respectability in historics, or at least the implementation of rules.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 17:27 (Ref:2536656)   #16
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
At Spa earlier this year, it was clearly stated that you could overtake as soon as the lights went out. With a grid of 70 single seaters, the sharper drivers further down the field were able to overtake a lot of cars into the "Hamilton" chicane, on the assumption that the lights had gone out ahead.

I think that's where problems might arise - if the lights hadn't gone out it could all have got a bit nasty. BTW, it took over 30 seconds for the entire field to cross the line. You can cover a lot of ground in 30s...
I do remember that race!, yes some of your drivers down the field were "sharpened" by me but we had a FLYING START which means lights out its all go. and a ROLLING START is overtaking only after crossing the line.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2536714)   #17
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Most of the races I have done in latter years have all been rolling starts, lights out race is on , restarts with pace car cross the line first . Thats from the COC.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Sep 2009, 21:36 (Ref:2536755)   #18
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I put the question to some of the senior CoCs from various organising clubs. General consensus was lights out = race start, UNLESS championship regs say otherwise. It could even vary on same day with different championships running. So make sure you read your regs. if you have a rolling start!!

Last edited by Bryan Degerlund; 8 Sep 2009 at 21:38. Reason: added comment