Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Sep 2009, 14:45 (Ref:2539059)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
CER at Silverstone-Today,Sat 12/9

No pics or thread for best Historic Sports Car race in UK this year.
2/3 sec a lap quicker than Festival Race and lots of DFV's and a 917.
A cross section of European drivers including Bobby Rahal.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2539068)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is that the same as this one at the Nurburgring? http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118200
Old 12 Sep 2009, 17:13 (Ref:2539123)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It's the same series supplemented by Brits joining in.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 18:22 (Ref:2539152)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, so it needs a bit more support then.

Looks very interesting to me.

Not having much detail, can you provide a synopsis?
Old 12 Sep 2009, 18:52 (Ref:2539171)   #5
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It's a Patrick Peter event and details on web.
I'm not there but have an interest in one of the cars.
Thought I could drum up some information.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2539198)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Results are here-

http://www.classicenduranceracing.co...ilverstone.asp

Nice line up of cars! (But no 917 )

Shame about the MS670 not finishing. Interesting that even at such a high level several cars incurred penalties for pit stops outside the window!

Any pics, anyone?
Old 12 Sep 2009, 19:54 (Ref:2539205)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that Mike,what a cracking lap from Rob Hall! I love that Matra!!
Old 12 Sep 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2539225)   #8
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
2/3 sec a lap quicker than Festival Race and lots of DFV's and a 917.
A cross section of European drivers including Bobby Rahal.
Fantastic entry, shame I could only attend yesterday.

Great to see the 712 out to play , I'll post some shots when I've sorted through them.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 08:23 (Ref:2539435)   #9
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A selection of the CER cars, taken on Friday practice/qualifying
Attached Thumbnails
lmes6.jpg   lmes7.jpg   lmes9.jpg  

lmes3.jpg   lmes1.jpg  
Old 13 Sep 2009, 08:26 (Ref:2539436)   #10
brands
Veteran

Good to see the cars were accessible in the paddock too, unlike the big boys hidden away in their garages.
Attached Thumbnails
lmes2.jpg   lmes4.jpg   lmes5.jpg  

lmes8.jpg  
Old 13 Sep 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2539491)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Brands, those pics have to worth a double

Have never seen the Howmet in the flesh- full marks to those responsible for preparing & racing it. Still has to be the Matra, though, for the Gitanes colour scheme and noise..........

Having said that, I would be happy to own any of them!
Old 13 Sep 2009, 19:18 (Ref:2539885)   #12
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Have never seen the Howmet in the flesh- full marks to those responsible for preparing & racing it. Still has to be the Matra, though, for the Gitanes colour scheme and noise..........

Mike, the Howmet was certainly an interesting car. He spun twice at Brooklands, and on the second one he retired. On start up, it sounds just like a Harrier Jump Jet getting started, an amazing car, first time I'd seen it.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 05:05 (Ref:2540179)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Mike, the Howmet was certainly an interesting car. He spun twice at Brooklands, and on the second one he retired. On start up, it sounds just like a Harrier Jump Jet getting started, an amazing car, first time I'd seen it.
Amazing that it gets round the complex at all with single speed transmission! According to info on Wikepedia Ray Heppenstall was going to put the engine in a Cooper Monaco , but used an ex CanAm McKee chassis for first car. The second was built from scratch by McKee. If you have got time, it's all on here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howmet_TX

Again, to those responsible for getting it racing again-
Old 14 Sep 2009, 07:00 (Ref:2540198)   #14
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If only we could these cars to the Silverstone Clssic !!!!!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2540205)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Totally agree about the Matra - I had a toy of it when I was a kid and have loved it ever since! It is a series that attracts some very nice cars.
Shame the 917 wasn't there - when I saw it at the test day just after the Classic the owner said he was doing the race..
Old 14 Sep 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2540264)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Well, it needs someone to start it and you have! It's not an inevitable candidate here, for the simple reason that it's a stand alone race in support of a modern series, so could well have been overlooked, so well done for reminding us.

For the record I was at AMOC Thruxton on Saturday, but did get up to see the 1000kms, yesterday. Yes, I know that I should have been Brands for the HSCC but it's the one area of modern motor racing that I still really enjoy and we only get them over here once a year. In my view cars like the Lola Aston LMP1 and Pescarolos lose nothing to the cars of the Gp4/6 era and later Group Cs, and will be just as iconic in a few years time.

Anyway back to the CERs!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 12:35 (Ref:2540391)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Well, it needs someone to start it and you have! It's not an inevitable candidate here, for the simple reason that it's a stand alone race in support of a modern series, so could well have been overlooked, so well done for reminding us.

In my view cars like the Lola Aston LMP1 and Pescarolos lose nothing to the cars of the Gp4/6 era and later Group Cs, and will be just as iconic in a few years time.
Well said John. Being a bit pre-occupied with house clearance myself and it being part of a 'modern' w/end had completely missed the CER race. As you say, those LMP1 things are likely to be at Silverstone classic in 20**
Old 14 Sep 2009, 13:16 (Ref:2540421)   #18
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I had a nice chat with the guy driving it, on Friday, and asked what happened at Le Mans Classic when he put it in the kitty litter in front of me. Apparently it snapped sideways under braking.

He then did the triple, in front of me, when he just plain understeered off at Brooklands. The issue seems to be that the turbine spins at a minimum of 60%, venting via a wastegate down the centre pipe, then spools up to 100% when the throttle is applied! It strikes me as being more than a bit tricky to drive...

I have a LOT of pictures of the thing, from both Le Mans and Silverstone, and will post some here soon. I missed the picture opportunity Friday night, when it pottered round the back of the paddock, accompanied by much finger pointing, and jaw dropping...

I agree about the pace of the race. There were some quick cars, and drivers, out there. I was VERY surprised at how far down Luco finished in that 936, though?

Oh, and I met 2 faces in the paddock who weren't in the entry list, Jeff Lister, and Gareth Burnett, with Jeff's tidy little Lola. Sadly, they had to miss the race, as 5th gear started to pop out. Discretion was chosen, and a rebuild decided upon.

Hearty congratulations to a Mr. Rahal, who won, BTW.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 15:18 (Ref:2540519)   #19
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A fantastic collection of cars. Shame that quite a few failed to finish, especially the Matra. Really think, as they only had 1 support race on Sunday, that this should have been it. No offence to Radical racers, but I think the crowd would have love it and it would have been a nice comparison from the old to the present.
Thanks a lot guys.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 15:30 (Ref:2540520)   #20
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
A fantastic collection of cars. Shame that quite a few failed to finish, especially the Matra. Really think, as they only had 1 support race on Sunday, that this should have been it. No offence to Radical racers, but I think the crowd would have love it and it would have been a nice comparison from the old to the present.
Thanks a lot guys.
I agree Nick. They were louder & with more variations in engine sounds and body shapes than the modern cars. Shame about the car that decided to leak oil all round the circuit during qualifying though!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 15:43 (Ref:2540532)   #21
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
I agree Nick. They were louder & with more variations in engine sounds and body shapes than the modern cars. Shame about the car that decided to leak oil all round the circuit during qualifying though!
Steve you'll learn that at every meeting involving historic cars, you will get the mandatory oil slick.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 15:45 (Ref:2540535)   #22
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Steve you'll learn that at every meeting involving historic cars, you will get the mandatory oil slick.
Just had a think about that. And yes-every historic meeting I've marshalled at there's been an oil slick!! Keeps us busy though
Old 14 Sep 2009, 19:00 (Ref:2540687)   #23
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/event...e-1000-KM.html

Included the CER.
(I could not attend this year so I cannot give you additional shots this time)
I agree with John's first post, that it is the best Historic race in the UK....
Request for shots from the Ring, Spa and Barcelona could still honoured
Old 14 Sep 2009, 19:10 (Ref:2540700)   #24
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I had a nice chat with the guy driving it, on Friday, and asked what happened at Le Mans Classic when he put it in the kitty litter in front of me. Apparently it snapped sideways under braking.

He then did the triple, in front of me, when he just plain understeered off at Brooklands. The issue seems to be that the turbine spins at a minimum of 60%, venting via a wastegate down the centre pipe, then spools up to 100% when the throttle is applied! It strikes me as being more than a bit tricky to drive...

I have a LOT of pictures of the thing, from both Le Mans and Silverstone,
The "thing" is here
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/2827/Howmet-TX.html

For those who don't know the driver, and also Tim does not mention it, he is seriously handicapped in one of his arms, and still manages to drive the car around at significant speeds. He has enthusiastically contributed to our article.

Also there was Lola T70 MKIII #130 that went straight to Japan after completion, did one race and crashed. After having been converted into a spider it did many years in the USA but has now been restored to its original shape. The car still carries a Tamiya sticker, supporting the idea that this car was originally used by Tamiya to produce its glorious 1/12 model of the T70. (That they then mixed it up with the Aston Martin engined version is a bit of a shame though)
Old 14 Sep 2009, 21:35 (Ref:2540788)   #25
Tim Dunlop
Racer

England
Derby, United Kingdom
Tim Dunlop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there,

If you could only get to one motor race in your life it would have to be this one. The selection of cars in this championship is amazing.

Here are a few pics: -

1) One of four BMW M1's followed by a very rare Porsche 935 1978

2) Porsche 911 Locks up while chasing a Gulf Mirage

3) Serious drift from the Gitanes Lola T290

4) Howmet TX - Helicopter engined can you tell by the heat haze ??

5) A rare one from me - a panning shot of the Brumos Porsche 911

6) Lola leads Porsche, BMW, and Corvette in the haze

7) Flame from the number 72 Lola - got loads of flame shots this weekend

8) Beautiful pair of 'Denim' BMW M1's

Have loads more to work through, will post a link to my site when I have finished them.

Regards

Tim