Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Mar 2015, 15:38 (Ref:3519904)   #976
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Don't forget that Ford has had the ecoboost V6 on the stove as a P2 engine for some time. For US P2 it would be reasonable for HPD to be an engine supplier even if not a chassis supplier - they seem happy to have their engine in Ligiers.
I am not sure how eager Ford will be to support its P2 engine---Just maybe because it will be using a very similar engine in the GT.

I am not sure HPD will have any interest in building a P2 engine when it can only sell to a few TUSC teams. I figure some kind of "Corvette" engine will power most 2017 P-cars, shrunken if needed, but I don't see Chevy giving up that class. if Ford keeps making a P2 EcoBoost, that doesn't leave a lot of customers for another manufacturer--HPD isn't going to cover its costs if it only has one or two teams in the whole world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I'm sure GM will demand a Corvette body if one wants a GM engine in the back.

Mazda might stick around but only for their 'works' program, cannot see anyone else wanting to run their vacuum cleaner engine.

... I don't expect many new P cars in 2017/beyond, maybe a handful of 'Corvettes' + couple of Mazda + couple of stock bodied P2s, 10 or so in total, 12 would be a lot.
Sadly I agree. Several Chevys, maybe a couple Fords, and a couple full-generics.
Old 26 Mar 2015, 17:11 (Ref:3519939)   #977
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think Chevy will go down the small block route. It has a 1.6L turbo to work from. <--- that is pure speculation.
Old 26 Mar 2015, 17:48 (Ref:3519952)   #978
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I don't think Chevy will go down the small block route. It has a 1.6L turbo to work from. <--- that is pure speculation.
If it is not a V-8, which I think it will be, then I think it will be the new 'LGX' 3.6l V-6.

L.P.

Old 26 Mar 2015, 18:05 (Ref:3519956)   #979
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
If it is not a V-8, which I think it will be, then I think it will be the new 'LGX' 3.6l V-6.
GM seem to actually have a lot of available options these days. Could be the V6 out of the new Caddy GT3, could be based off Indy engine, or even the 1.6L.

Chiana mentioned earlier that the Oaks and Orecas for 2017 will likely be optimized for the stock engine used in the WEC/ELMS, so how that translates into multiple engine choices for IMSA could be an issue.
Old 26 Mar 2015, 18:12 (Ref:3519958)   #980
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Chiana mentioned earlier that the Oaks and Orecas for 2017 will likely be optimized for the stock engine used in the WEC/ELMS, so how that translates into multiple engine choices for IMSA could be an issue.
or ... we will have a field full of Multimatics because only Multimatic is willing to work with TUSC to make different mounting points.

The generics will use the (BoP'd) generic engine, but Multimatic and I'd even bet Dallara (with its new factory in Indiana) might be willing to build just for TUSC. Someone will get a sweet contract from Chevy.

And since it is image-driven, I am willing to bet there is nothing smaller than a V6, simply because most Americans associate V8s with power and I4s with wimpy little foreign cars ... facts nonwithstanding.

If Ford makes its GTE EcoBoost engine available (of which I am not sure) then Ford will have to pay some factory to build a specific bulkhead-back tub. The cost of that plus supporting a special version of the motor for P might be enough to push Ford out.

On the other hand we have no idea if TUSC would allow teams to modify the spec chassis to adapt engines on their own. Riley could team up with some one and do the fabrication just to keep the name around, maybe ... ???
Old 26 Mar 2015, 18:26 (Ref:3519964)   #981
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
GM seem to actually have a lot of available options these days. Could be the V6 out of the new Caddy GT3, could be based off Indy engine, or even the 1.6L.
Oooooooo... I like that idea.
Old 26 Mar 2015, 18:33 (Ref:3519966)   #982
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

The LGX is the engine in the Caddy.
I find it extremely hard to imagine that the 4 constructors would not have plans/options to run a multitude of engine packages. It goes to the market share, and we have seen both Oreca and Ligier want a share of the TUSC market.

L.P.
Old 26 Mar 2015, 18:36 (Ref:3519969)   #983
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
On the other hand we have no idea if TUSC would allow teams to modify the spec chassis to adapt engines on their own. Riley could team up with some one and do the fabrication just to keep the name around, maybe ... ???
You mean mod the Oreca/Oak/third-option without the help of those constructors?

Anyway, there was an article on Autosport today where they said that despite the spec WEC/ELMS engine and limited chassis, there should still be tire war (outside States). Which is contradicting what DSC and (IIRC) S365 said, and I believe the ACO presser as well. Wouldn't be the first time Autosport's making things up without knowledge. But I guess there is still some thin hope.
Old 26 Mar 2015, 18:37 (Ref:3519971)   #984
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
or ... we will have a field full of Multimatics because only Multimatic is willing to work with TUSC to make different mounting points.

The generics will use the (BoP'd) generic engine, but Multimatic and I'd even bet Dallara (with its new factory in Indiana) might be willing to build just for TUSC. Someone will get a sweet contract from Chevy.

And since it is image-driven, I am willing to bet there is nothing smaller than a V6, simply because most Americans associate V8s with power and I4s with wimpy little foreign cars ... facts nonwithstanding.

If Ford makes its GTE EcoBoost engine available (of which I am not sure) then Ford will have to pay some factory to build a specific bulkhead-back tub. The cost of that plus supporting a special version of the motor for P might be enough to push Ford out.

It also depends on how the new 2017 chassis/tub is designed/configured.

L.P.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 07:36 (Ref:3520193)   #985
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't expect that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer.com
Miller also confirmed HPD's interest in making a bid to become one of the four nominated constructors for the new LMP2 formula due to begin in 2017.
from http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11478...m-for-its-lmp2
Old 27 Mar 2015, 08:32 (Ref:3520205)   #986
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It just sucks TUSC is going to have two dumb down Proto class, P2 and PC. Despite there being a P3 class.

I really hope TUSC has a back up plan if or when this fails.

I mean really, are they idiots? Just leave the cars alone. What ever happened to appeasing the fans? I know that sometimes the fans are irrational, and you have to make tough choices, but there no reason to waste perfectly good cars. This is just to appease some obscure car makers and rich people in some region far away and not to the benefit of American sport cars.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 14:16 (Ref:3520339)   #987
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Something I've forgotten to add from this week's MWM - Graham Goodwin is going to present the ACO's point of view next week (having spoken to senior officials) along with reports from the prologue. I'm hoping it isn't the same sort of rationale that Hugh de Chaunac gave earlier because that left me thoroughly unimpressed.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 14:41 (Ref:3520349)   #988
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Recap (so far, speculative):

WEC-ELMS-AsLMS
4 chassis constructors
1 engine supplier

TUSC
4 chassis constructors (same ones as in WEC et all)
multiple engine suppliers (no limit to the number as far as I'm aware)

3 chassis constructors seemed to be 'set in stone':
- Oreca
- Onroak (OAK aka Ligier)
- Dallara (NA based remember and great ties with both VAG and GM)

leaving the 4th spot 'up for grabs' for:
- possible joint or individual effort by Coyote/Riley/Multimatic/Core?
- HPD (Wirth)?
- Gibson (fka Zytek)?
- Dome?
- SMP??
- Ginetta???
- other 'wild cards'?

Each constructor is supposed to be able to deal "with global supply options." and "We know enough about the cost associated with all of the design, all of the research, all of the engineering, all of the toolmaking required to create a clean screen prototype and put it into production, then deliver it to its first customers and put a parts supply system in place,” he explained. “The critical mass that each of those constructors has to achieve – and they will each give you a different answer – is somewhere between eight and 12 cars – actively competing." (quotes from Atherton, http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11475...p2-regulations)

To be honest I don't really see any of the 4th spot candidates being able to support global supplies for approx. 8 cars (or more).

TUSC will most likely see manufacturer influenced bodywork, equalization between WEC and TUSC spec cars will be done thru BoP.

Engine supplier(s)
exclusively for WEC et all:
- VAG (looks to be in pole position)
- Nissan?

additional suppliers for TUSC:
- GM (seem as good as guaranteed)
- Ford?
- Mazda?
- Nissan? (if they loose out to VAG)
- HPD??
- Judd???
- AER???
- other 'wild cards'?

Tires: spec supplier

WEC-ELMS-AsLMS
- probably Dunlop

TUSC
- Continental

feel free to correct/update/add.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 15:32 (Ref:3520375)   #989
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Recap (so far, speculative):

WEC-ELMS-AsLMS
4 chassis constructors
1 engine supplier

TUSC
4 chassis constructors (same ones as in WEC et all)
multiple engine suppliers (no limit to the number as far as I'm aware)

3 chassis constructors seemed to be 'set in stone':
- Oreca
- Onroak (OAK aka Ligier)
- Dallara (NA based remember and great ties with both VAG and GM)

leaving the 4th spot 'up for grabs' for:
- possible joint or individual effort by Coyote/Riley/Multimatic/Core?
- HPD (Wirth)?
- Gibson (fka Zytek)?
- Dome?
- SMP??
- Ginetta???
- other 'wild cards'?

Each constructor is supposed to be able to deal "with global supply options." and "We know enough about the cost associated with all of the design, all of the research, all of the engineering, all of the toolmaking required to create a clean screen prototype and put it into production, then deliver it to its first customers and put a parts supply system in place,” he explained. “The critical mass that each of those constructors has to achieve – and they will each give you a different answer – is somewhere between eight and 12 cars – actively competing." (quotes from Atherton, http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11475...p2-regulations)

To be honest I don't really see any of the 4th spot candidates being able to support global supplies for approx. 8 cars (or more).

TUSC will most likely see manufacturer influenced bodywork, equalization between WEC and TUSC spec cars will be done thru BoP.

Engine supplier(s)
exclusively for WEC et all:
- VAG (looks to be in pole position)
- Nissan?

additional suppliers for TUSC:
- GM (seem as good as guaranteed)
- Ford?
- Mazda?
- Nissan? (if they loose out to VAG)
- HPD??
- Judd???
- AER???
- other 'wild cards'?

Tires: spec supplier

WEC-ELMS-AsLMS
- probably Dunlop

TUSC
- Continental

feel free to correct/update/add.
Dallara is Italian.

https://www.dallara.it/wps/portal/en...Lsh0VATfQe0c!/

L.P.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 16:10 (Ref:3520418)   #990
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Dallara is Italian.
From the same article in my original post:

Quote:
“So back to the constructor discussion, we’re going to support the decision to limit those to four, with one – at least – one of those four being North American-based.”
Dallara has their Indianapolis base since a couple of years (for the assembly of their Indycars).

Even Oreca qualifies as they have a US location (Charlotte, NC) nowadays as well!

Last edited by Coach Ep; 27 Mar 2015 at 16:17.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 16:15 (Ref:3520422)   #991
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
From the same article in my original post:

Even Oreca qualifies as they have a US location nowadays as well!
Still does not change the FACT that Dallara is Italian and Oreca is French, not a North Americam mfg.

L.P.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 16:23 (Ref:3520428)   #992
Coach Ep
Veteran

Surely not, but that's not relevant as the criterium seems to be NA based (and a constructor, not a manufacturer*) - not a matter of nationality.

Keep in mind the difference between constructor and manufacturer being emphasized in the article.

It will all depend on how much twist IMSA/ACO/FIA are gonna give it (and as we all know that can be quite substantial)!
Old 27 Mar 2015, 16:27 (Ref:3520431)   #993
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Surely not, but that's not relevant as the criterium seems to be NA based (and a constructor, not a manufacturer*) - not a matter of nationality.

Keep in mind the difference between constructor and manufacturer being emphasized in the article.

It will all depend on how much twist IMSA/ACO/FIA are gonna give it (and as we all know that can be quite substantial)!
Yes it is relevant!

L.P.

Old 27 Mar 2015, 16:30 (Ref:3520432)   #994
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Yes it is relevant!
You're funny!
Old 27 Mar 2015, 16:35 (Ref:3520435)   #995
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yes it is relevant!
The fact that dallara is an italian constructor does not tangent the statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer.com
“So back to the constructor discussion, we’re going to support the decision to limit those to four, with one – at least – one of those four being North American-based.”
...given that Dallara is, also, North American-based.

Yet it's a bit void, IMHO, to discuss these fine semantics given that one has to go over the statements with a fine comb, just to realize that the different persons do not communicate 100% congruent material.

Whether or not it really is relevant for the selection of constructor, we'll only know in hindsight
Old 27 Mar 2015, 17:41 (Ref:3520469)   #996
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
DSC has just tweeted that open tyres will be retained in 2017
Old 27 Mar 2015, 17:48 (Ref:3520474)   #997
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This may sound weird, but I rather have open tires than open engines. Because tire war is such Rarity nowadays. I mean, of course both would be immensely better, and no stupid chassis restrictions either, but makes FAR it less painful for sure. Of course, I might just be on good mood after seeing the new garages at LM piece
Old 27 Mar 2015, 18:08 (Ref:3520489)   #998
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
If they would decide to make it an open engine formula as well things wouldn't actually be too bad.

Sure, four manufacturers still isn't ideal but at least there would be some more variety.

Either way, looks like things are steering away from "total fiasco" to "at least somewhat tolerable".
Old 27 Mar 2015, 18:23 (Ref:3520501)   #999
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
DSC has just tweeted that open tyres will be retained in 2017
Highly unlikely in TUSC though.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 18:44 (Ref:3520512)   #1000
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Highly unlikely in TUSC though.
Replace 'highly unlikely' with impossible.