Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 5 Feb 2018, 18:11 (Ref:3798763)   #351
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Yes it is… Remember when the race version of the 5 Turbo use to break its conrods, "le service communication" liked to say it was a worn out spark plug! Not a lie cose when a rod breaks, very often the piston hits the plug. Now they are retired, some engineers become name tellers. At last we can talk!
Imps were sometimes known to retire with electrical failure - as when an inadvertent over-rev took the revs past 10K revs a conrod's bid for freedom often took out the starter motor, and its electrical supply could short out.....

Sorry not been around for a while, its taken a long time to manouver around all our Lancastrian pot-holes. Even the motorways are getting bad.

By the way, anyone have a source of very-quick setting concrete? The road immediately outside our house is unadopted (Its a dead-end track) and getting very badly broken up by traffic going up and down to the farm at the bottom of the lane, many of the farm outbuildings being occupied by small businesses. Whilst I only have to traverse maybe 30 yards of it (I live at the top of the lane) its still shakes the car even at walking pace, and of course debris is getting dug out of the holes and thrown at our cars parked outside our house......I could really do with someone who could do a quick (but lasting) fix
Old 5 Feb 2018, 18:53 (Ref:3798787)   #352
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Lanc, may be you can consider what is used in the boat industry, have a look to what the shipchandler can supply. It works fine under water. Will it last, I dunno!
Old 6 Feb 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3798917)   #353
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
o
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Brail?
Old 6 Feb 2018, 09:59 (Ref:3798920)   #354
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
What other lot?

I see that the Alpine was driving a stage of the Monte Carlo Rally at competitive speed when the incident happened, and both in the car were fully suited and booted, which was very wise....
Apparently they only chose to wear the suits as the heating system was not working too well.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 11:12 (Ref:3798943)   #355
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just had a call from Mallory Park and they have cancelled tomorrow due to bad weather .
Old 6 Feb 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3798946)   #356
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Just had a call from Mallory Park and they have cancelled tomorrow due to bad weather .
Does that mean we go straight to Thursday?
Old 6 Feb 2018, 11:37 (Ref:3798950)   #357
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
That would be useful- never liked wednesdays....
Old 6 Feb 2018, 11:44 (Ref:3798953)   #358
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Snow and icy conditions around Paris right now. Rétromobile starting tomorrow, hope this will not affect the show.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 11:55 (Ref:3798958)   #359
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Snow and icy conditions around Paris right now. Rétromobile starting tomorrow, hope this will not affect the show.
Sun's shining in the Haut de France (that's above Paris!!). Bit chilly though; temp was fluctuating between 1 & 1.5 when I popped into town earlier.

It was bitterly cold when I took a trip to Vimy Ridge on Sunday - must have been much like it was on the first day of the battle in April 2017, when it snowed. Nevertheless, there were a few classics out & about, including a very brave couple in a Healey 3000 with the hood down.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3798973)   #360
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gerard has mentioned Retromobile, but who else here plans on going to HMI at Excel next week?

I should be there on Thursday, then back here for Flanders Collection Car at Gent at the weekend.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 13:34 (Ref:3798974)   #361
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Should be couple more of us at HMI, but on the weekend. Don’t fancy negotiating London on a work day, even if on the train! Hoping to get to the Ferrari exhibition at the Design Museum as well......
Old 6 Feb 2018, 13:52 (Ref:3798978)   #362
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Bummer. I was looking forward to it.

That said Management has been totally and utterly wiped out by Flu or something like it for the past 8 days so if she finally responds to family pressure to seek medical help (or something worse intervenes) I might not have been able to make it anyway.

Weather here is hovering around zero but a light overnight dusting of snow disappeared by mid morning and though I have spotted the odd lonely snowflake tumbling from the heavens nothing much seems to be happening to make conditions impossible.

Donington activities are curtailed I don't know. Might be tricky getting here and being reasonably sure of getting back for anyone needing to travel any distance. (Although flying in might make the longest distances the most feasible option.)
Old 6 Feb 2018, 18:38 (Ref:3799053)   #363
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
For anyone who may be racing at Snetterton this season, and who possibly stays at Breckland Lodge Motel during the meeting, some bad news..... http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/fire-bre...odge-1-5383553

Can’t see it being rebuilt for a while......
Old 6 Feb 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3799063)   #364
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
For anyone who may be racing at Snetterton this season, and who possibly stays at Breckland Lodge Motel during the meeting, some bad news..... http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/fire-bre...odge-1-5383553

Can’t see it being rebuilt for a while......
That's funny, Mike - I just overheard something on Look East & was going to ask you if it was true. Very sad. It's come a long way since the original caff.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 19:15 (Ref:3799068)   #365
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
That's funny, Mike - I just overheard something on Look East & was going to ask you if it was true. Very sad. It's come a long way since the original caff.
I was walking through town this morning and could hear (and see) fire engines charging around, then found one refilling with water from a back street hydrant. Looked for smoke over the houses but didn’t see any. Wasn’t till later I found out where and why....

By all accounts it will be missed until rebuilt. So convenient for Snet! (No news of any plans for the proposed circuit hotel and new ‘race engineering park’.... )
Old 6 Feb 2018, 19:16 (Ref:3799069)   #366
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Just back from Bremen Classic - next for me is Race Retro.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 21:05 (Ref:3799094)   #367
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watched the live feed of the Space X Falcon Heavy rocket taking off in Florida. The landing of the two booster rockets side by side a few minutes later was very impressive.

And a Tesla is now en route to the Sun and Mars I believe.
Old 6 Feb 2018, 21:18 (Ref:3799098)   #368
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Just watched the live feed of the Space X Falcon Heavy rocket taking off in Florida. The landing of the two booster rockets side by side a few minutes later was very impressive.

And a Tesla is now en route to the Sun and Mars I believe.
Is there a crew scheduled to follow up with the charging station installation?
Old 7 Feb 2018, 06:36 (Ref:3799211)   #369
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
No need, Grant, its a connected thing!
Old 7 Feb 2018, 06:53 (Ref:3799216)   #370
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Is there a crew scheduled to follow up with the charging station installation?
Elon will have a Tesla Supercharger set up somewhere- it's the biggest network in the world (perhaps universe)......

The car / payload is Musk's old Tesla Roadster, with a dummy space suited driver. The flight will add to the car's providence and value if they can work out how to get it down again- in one piece. I understand that Bowie's 'Star Man' is playing on a loop as well.....
Old 7 Feb 2018, 08:09 (Ref:3799230)   #371
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Elon will have a Tesla Supercharger set up somewhere- it's the biggest network in the world (perhaps universe)......

The car / payload is Musk's old Tesla Roadster, with a dummy space suited driver. The flight will add to the car's providence and value if they can work out how to get it down again- in one piece. I understand that Bowie's 'Star Man' is playing on a loop as well.....
No doubt Branson will try & go one better & send one of his old trains up. Wonder what the excuses for the delays would be?
Old 7 Feb 2018, 08:17 (Ref:3799233)   #372
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
No doubt Branson will try & go one better & send one of his old trains up. Wonder what the excuses for the delays would be?
If he does this, as a show of faith he should dress himself as an engine driver (no silly spacesuit for RB) as wave cheerily from the drivers seat as the whole thing blasts off!
Old 7 Feb 2018, 08:26 (Ref:3799236)   #373
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Around 10 inches of pretty nice snow here. Dont worry all the airports trafics are fine. Mais, there is sometimes a "but" here, find a taxi not stuck on the road will be another thing…*
Old 7 Feb 2018, 08:29 (Ref:3799239)   #374
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
If he does this, as a show of faith he should dress himself as an engine driver (no silly spacesuit for RB) as wave cheerily from the drivers seat as the whole thing blasts off!

...and Branson being Branson he'd have to dress as a female driver. He'd look like that Austrian bloke from Eurovision a few years ago.
Old 7 Feb 2018, 08:33 (Ref:3799241)   #375
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Around 10 inches of pretty nice snow here. Dont worry all the airports trafics are fine. Mais, there is sometimes a "but" here, find a taxi not stuck on the road will be another thing…*

Finally I have a good excuse for not going to Retromobile! Never bothered about it because one normally expects bad weather in February & it's not a particularly easy journey from here. Having said that, it's a beautiful morning here - sun's shining, no frost, no snow, no rain, no wind. Only downside is temperature is -2.
Closed Thread