Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 11 Apr 2008, 13:38 (Ref:2175275)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IOM TT Chief Marshal Resigns After Coroner's Inquest

From the BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/eur...an/7340579.stm

Are the TT Marshals different from Bike Marshals who would perhaps work at Circuits?
Old 11 Apr 2008, 14:11 (Ref:2175297)   #2
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The TT marshals are volunteers from all over the world - a good number of UK marshals from both the motorcycle and car worlds, local volunteers and visitors from many countries who get "just in time" training then supplement the more experienced marshals.

Anyone who wants to have a go can volunteer via their website - they will always welcome experienced volunteers
Old 11 Apr 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2175307)   #3
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh Dear..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hobson
The TT marshals are volunteers from all over the world - a good number of UK marshals from both the motorcycle and car worlds, local volunteers and visitors from many countries who get "just in time" training then supplement the more experienced marshals.

Anyone who wants to have a go can volunteer via their website - they will always welcome experienced volunteers
Roger Hurst, 72 years of age...without knowing all the facts..so very sad..you can bet, all the Marshals were trying to do their best
Old 11 Apr 2008, 14:51 (Ref:2175319)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
you can bet, all the Marshals were trying to do their best
Of that I have no doubt.
The reason for post was I thought it a bit strange that the Marshals, and subsequently their Chief have been found to be victims of "Considerable failings" by the Coroner.

Are "The Marshals" considered to be "The Organisers" of the Tourist Trophy then? (I don't know a lot about bike organisation, especially for RR's.
Old 11 Apr 2008, 15:30 (Ref:2175340)   #5
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blaming the marshals is a bit harsh.
the coroner must be a footy guy and know nothing about the dangers of bike racing.
in the 2 years that i have been bike marshalling,i have had to deal with some nasty accidents and some " i didn`t think that could happen " type accidents.

But i hope the Chief Marshal doesn`t hang his probans up

Last edited by gachjoel; 11 Apr 2008 at 15:36.
Old 11 Apr 2008, 17:09 (Ref:2175396)   #6
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The coroner said " the positions of some of the key people involved were now untenable, and that while he had no power to ban or exclude them, they should have no significant participation in future motorcycling events in the Isle of Man"

Those killed included two spectators as well as the rider. Two marshals were seriousley injured.

"The spectators had been standing in a prohibited area but there were no warning signs."

Please remember the TT is a road course and its set up and organisation is different to what happens on a circuit.

source in brackets BBC News
Old 14 Apr 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2176984)   #7
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not that any of this is funny and please don't think I am laughing at the incident. but the BBC made a comment in one of it's reports last year when I read it made me chuckle at how they try to get so many shock words into one article.

"The deaths overshadowed an otherwise fatality free centenary festival"

On a serious note, I get the impression that the TT must be organised like a Rally. I don't marshal rallies so i don't know. Is it the marshals responsibility to make sure spectators are not where they shouldn't be. What powers do they have to move them. Do spectators have to accept responsibility for their own actions?
Old 14 Apr 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2177009)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccooke
Is it the marshals responsibility to make sure spectators are not where they shouldn't be. What powers do they have to move them. Do spectators have to accept responsibility for their own actions?
Wasn't it a case that in the past the marshals for the TT were considered "special constables" and issued with warrant cards and given the power of arrest? Or is my brain confused again.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 11:51 (Ref:2177110)   #9
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan, I did one rally, and will never do another, spent the whole day telling spectators to not stand on the road!
No idea if this is done the same, to be honest I can't see the HSE letting it continue like it does for much longer....
Old 14 Apr 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2177529)   #10
Olive
Rookie

United Kingdom
Olive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure that the HSE would have jurisdiction on the Isle of Man...
Old 14 Apr 2008, 22:24 (Ref:2177625)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The TT course is fearsome - I've lapped it - like a big girls blouse in the MN Suzuki. I was pushing as hard as I could on the mountain when a rider did me on the inside of the bend! Loony.

But I have never been to a track where death is such a real possibility. Its such an anachronism. But its a brilliant one, not for the danger but for being the worlds best race track by miles! I wish there was a 4 wheeled TT open to all race cars.

If you go to the Island for the TT you have to realise that a fatality is not just a posibility its highly likely. But the riders know that so why should anyone resign over it - a shame.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 07:57 (Ref:2177778)   #12
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I don't think anyone would argue that fatalities are a sad probability of the TT and I agree that the riders know that.

However, spectator fatalities and seriously injured marshals are a different matter. I doubt very much that anyone who goes to watch the racing - or provide safety services for it - thinks "gee I wonder if I'll die this year".

The simple fact is has anyone in this thread - or on this site - actually got the pertinent information on this incident? Conclusions have been drawn by the authorities, but personally I know nothing more about what happened here than what is reported by the media so I don't feel it is up to me to comment on whether someone should have resigned or not.

It may just be the case that because there were so many people involved, someone has to be seen to "pay" for it. Or maybe there were genuine safety issues that were reported and ignored. I don't know. I'm guessing the former, but since I don't know, I don't think it's appropriate to comment.

All I can say is that, as always, my sympathies are with the families of everyone affected by this tragic accident - and with those that had to deal with the aftermath. That includes the gentleman that reportedly has given the best years of his life to the sport and is leaving it in such a manner.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 23:10 (Ref:2178447)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Beautifully put, EP, couldn't agree more. Thinking of a couple of other threads running at the moment, we must all think of an event we were at which could so easily have been the same.