Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 25 Mar 2012, 22:19 (Ref:3048398)   #26
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Once you get used to using the torque band on the VW GOLF n POLO diesel Bluemotion range you can nip along at a fair rate of knots after pulling away from several "performance" cars out of a corner !
And get amazing MPG !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Mar 2012, 01:10 (Ref:3048443)   #27
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
diesels are more or less impractical now because of those silly filters though. that's a big chunk of the reason i've ended up with a petrol car - fuel figures may be better but unless you drive it in a manner with keeping the filters clean the cost of replacing those and sorting that out every five minutes makes them totally pointless.

if you look at fuel as a cost per 100 miles, in the uk there's not all that much difference between running a petrol car and a diesel one. if you do any overseas miles then the difference is obviously far greater.

oh and the engine noise is a crime i think by nature choosing diesel as a method of propulsion for your hot hatch instantly renders it lukewarm
Old 26 Mar 2012, 05:25 (Ref:3048471)   #28
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi A/S3,very understated in a dark colour ran one for three years ,never a problem despite being a chipped 1.8Turbo. Great fun around the old Silverstone GP circuit.In fact,of the cars shown,you wouldn't really get away with it in the Fiat,but you would have a lot of fun.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 07:34 (Ref:3048495)   #29
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
diesels are more or less impractical now because of those silly filters though. that's a big chunk of the reason i've ended up with a petrol car - fuel figures may be better but unless you drive it in a manner with keeping the filters clean the cost of replacing those and sorting that out every five minutes makes them totally pointless.

Bella you will see that I made that point on particulate filters on a thread a couple of weeks ago and I agree with what you say.
However there's no denying that oil burners have come a long way !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Mar 2012, 08:01 (Ref:3048511)   #30
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you want a hot hatch to destroy all others, look up the details of the Subaru Impreza Cosworth.

The sector is pretty healthy at the moment. RenaultSport's offerings are still superb even though their latest models seem to have put a bit of weight on. Of the VAG offerings I actually like the Octavia vRS as an overall package. A bit bigger than the Golf, but just as capable. There's a new Focus ST out soon, but sadly it won't have that lovely Volvo sourced 5 pot. And this month's EVO magazine introduced the details of the next Astra VXR - 260+bhp and fwd!
Old 26 Mar 2012, 09:31 (Ref:3048554)   #31
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Some interesting offerings there, but I'm not sure Garcon that you're quite getting the hang of finding something "understated" so that a greying middle age man can drive it without looking too out of place.... and there is the question of insurance group!
Attached Thumbnails
SubaruImprezaCosworth2.jpg   Ford focus_st.jpg   Astra VXR.jpg  

Old 26 Mar 2012, 09:34 (Ref:3048556)   #32
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
A little downmarket from the Focus ST would be the Fiesta ST, but living not far from Dagenham it might cause brains to explode if an unmodified one was seen in these parts!!

As for a small diesel... is this filter thing really that bad? Seems odd to sell cars as run-arounds that can't just be used as run-arounds....

Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta-ST.jpg   vw-golf-bluemotion-diesel-01.jpg  
Old 26 Mar 2012, 10:30 (Ref:3048597)   #33
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Bella you will see that I made that point on particulate filters on a thread a couple of weeks ago and I agree with what you say.
However there's no denying that oil burners have come a long way !
you definitely aren't the only one making noise about that! i think the problem with diesels is that all the improvement in performance, noise, and efficiency has been countered with these filters. i barely use the turbo in a diesel, so you can imagine what a mess the engine is in, let alone some girly filters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
RenaultSport's offerings are still superb even though their latest models seem to have put a bit of weight on.
for what it's worth, a guy at work picked a second hand megane renaultsport f1 thingy up on a trade deal for utter peanuts (probably because it's yellow) just for a laugh, and he has spent weeks trying to get it to understeer. as yet, he's been unsuccessful. however, it IS bright yellow and he admits to being ashamed of it in car parks and only tends to drive it under the cover of darkness
Old 26 Mar 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3048641)   #34
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
Some interesting offerings there, but I'm not sure Garcon that you're quite getting the hang of finding something "understated" so that a greying middle age man can drive it without looking too out of place.... and there is the question of insurance group!
Fair point.

If you have money to burn, I think one car that fits the understated requirement is the latest Golf R. It depends whether you consider well over thirty grand as too steep for a hot hatch.

Although I would say the Impreza is relatively understated in the flesh, especially in that dark grey metallic. When I say relatively, I mean relatively for a car that reaches 60mph in under 4 seconds....
Old 26 Mar 2012, 11:22 (Ref:3048647)   #35
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
to be honest, garc, if my old man turned up with an impreza i'd probably laugh at him

without wanting to sound, er... rude... does it not depend how old you are? my aforementioned old boy is approaching 60 (don't tell him, he's still in denial) and he freely admits his reactions are slowing down and he can't drive as fast as he used to. as such if he was going to get a raging lunatic car he'd want one that did what he was expecting, when he was expecting it and with HUGE brakes to make up for his reactions.

obviously it depends what you're used to but with that in mind... would a subaru loonywagon actually be one of the more sensible choices??

ps. as for insurance groups, if the golf r is anything like the audi s3 it's in the same insurance group as pastor maldonado. thank god for trade insurance...
Old 26 Mar 2012, 11:30 (Ref:3048656)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is there a Bentley Continental hatchback?
Old 26 Mar 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3048738)   #37
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I too thought that some of the suggestions might be a little too "lairy" for your purposes. RenaultSport, VXR, ST etc., that's why the Volvo C30 with the 5-pot would be right up your street.

The particulate filter argument still rages - I have a bog-standard Golf 1.6tdi and do mainly very short journeys (2/3 miles)but lots of them.I'm in traffic for about 60/70% of the time, but the warning light for the filter has only come on once in the 14 months I've had the car.I did what the handbook says, 50mph for 10 mins , and the light went out.The dealer confirmed that this would do the trick.

As Winner would say "calm down dear".
Old 26 Mar 2012, 13:26 (Ref:3048773)   #38
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
to be honest, garc, if my old man turned up with an impreza i'd probably laugh at him
And rightly so.

Fair point on the suitable car thing though - with 4wd and huge brakes it does tend to protect many an ordinary driver when ambition surpasses talent.

Not technically a hatch, but perhaps the latest STI saloon would be more appropriate - can be spec'd without the lairy rear wing and is no more in your face than the Audi S cars and suchlike, all be it not as nice inside.

Problem is, the STI may be monumentally capable but for the same running costs and lower depreciation you could buy a used M3 (the latest V8 one, E90/E92 series for those who know their BMWs) - and there's simply no pretending the STI can compete with that.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 14:15 (Ref:3048814)   #39
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
i barely use the turbo in a diesel, so you can imagine what a mess the engine is in, let alone some girly filters.
Really? You barely use the turbo? I'm not sure that's even possible in the Fabia, peak torque is at 1900rpm so the turbo is on boost pretty quickly. It's been ages since I've driven a laggy turbo diesel (think it was our old pool car - Mondeo estate)
Old 26 Mar 2012, 14:45 (Ref:3048827)   #40
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Really? You barely use the turbo? I'm not sure that's even possible in the Fabia, peak torque is at 1900rpm so the turbo is on boost pretty quickly. It's been ages since I've driven a laggy turbo diesel (think it was our old pool car - Mondeo estate)
yeah, my old one did a fair speed and picked up decently without the turbo needing to kick in, so i could shortshift. after it tried to end it all on the autoroute and had the turbo replaced it only picked up if you blipped the throttle before you put your foot down properly, so you drive around that really. as soon as the turbo kicks in i tend to lift off mostly anyway, it gave it the kick it needed to get shifted. still not sure if the car adapted to my driving or i adapted to it, but it worked
Old 26 Mar 2012, 15:49 (Ref:3048871)   #41
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

without wanting to sound, er... rude... does it not depend how old you are? my aforementioned old boy is approaching 60 (don't tell him, he's still in denial) and he freely admits his reactions are slowing down and he can't drive as fast as he used to. as such if he was going to get a raging lunatic car he'd want one that did what he was expecting, when he was expecting it and with HUGE brakes to make up for his reactions.

obviously it depends what you're used to but with that in mind... would a subaru loonywagon actually be one of the more sensible choices??

ps. as for insurance groups, if the golf r is anything like the audi s3 it's in the same insurance group as pastor maldonado. thank god for trade insurance...
My, my, I can't believe the number of older guys that spend all this time caring about what other people think. Surely by 50-60 years old you've earned the privilege to do whatever the hell you want, especially if you have already raised your children.

Here in the USA, the hot hatch thing is a narrow market, but I do see plenty of older gray hairs in Subaru WRX and STI's and other similar cars. With the WRX, it handles well, brakes well and accelerates well, so for a car to drive around in, it's not that bad.

Certainly a lot of those cars are designed and marketed to appeal to a younger crowd, but there is no reason why someone older can't buy something quicker and better running than an econobox.

It's interesting to me all these societal pressures that when you are X age you need to shut up, get with the program and do XYZ or else you will be eaten.

And diesel, . I don't know how a manufacturer could put a diesel in a car and think it's a hot hatch.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3048879)   #42
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
My, my, I can't believe the number of older guys that spend all this time caring about what other people think. Surely by 50-60 years old you've earned the privilege to do whatever the hell you want, especially if you have already raised your children.
you're sooooooo badly exaggerating that, but i can't be arsed to argue about it!

it's just called discussion, it's not lifechanging stuff, we're just talking about what suits different people.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 16:26 (Ref:3048888)   #43
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
you're sooooooo badly exaggerating that, but i can't be arsed to argue about it!

it's just called discussion, it's not lifechanging stuff, we're just talking about what suits different people.
I'm not taking it that seriously bella, I'm a very facetious and dry humored person and I do the same with all of my writing

In any case there are clearly quite a few guys worried about what they will be see in. Like I said before in the convertible thread, just for fun if you are 60 years old, get everyone talking. Get one of those Renaultsport jobbers in yellow and then dress up in a flatbill cap, some gold chains around your neck, skater sneakers, etc.

I really don't think it matters about how it looks, but what you actually enjoy driving. There is no need to be understated or whatever.

Pretty soon we'll have to start a thread on "Middle aged men and Minivans".
Old 26 Mar 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3048942)   #44
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
All fair points, and I applaud americans for doing what they want regardless of what anyone thinks. Thing is though, I wouldn't go outside looking like a gangsta rapper. That's not what I am. For the same reason I'm not going to drive teenagers car. Yes I did start this thread because I fancy a Hot Hatch, but I want a "grown-up's" one. I also don't what to need a lottery win to do it. That's why I asked the question, and its fun hearing different points of view. I'll take them all under advisement when I do choose my next car.... but there's an equal chance that something completely left field will shout "buy me! buy me!" and that will be that!
Old 26 Mar 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3049037)   #45
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
To try and be serious for once, I would honestly recommend looking at an Octavia vRS, unless you're really looking for something smaller.

Or... at the opposite end of the scale to the Octavia size-wise but guaranteed to make you want to drive like a lunatic and giggle like a fool while you're doing it ..... I can't help loving the Abarth 500. Absolutely brilliant little package.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 22:55 (Ref:3049078)   #46
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
if your car doesn't make you smile as you walk up to it in the car park, you're doing it wrong. that's what fiat got right when they updated the 500 versus mini updating the not so mini. they still make you smile.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 03:04 (Ref:3049148)   #47
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I'm with you.

My Dad wanted a V8 Muscle Car all his life and when he was in his 50s, we had grown up and he finally was able to afford one. My sister was aghast and told him he should buy a car that "appropriate for a man of his age".

She meant a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry! She was serious!

Fortunately, he ignored her advice and bought a Ford Falcon GT and he absolutely loved it!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 04:55 (Ref:3049164)   #48
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
For the same reason I'm not going to drive teenagers car. Yes I did start this thread because I fancy a Hot Hatch, but I want a "grown-up's" one.
A new one (or near-new) isn't a teenagers car - they can't afford them! Keep it tidy, in a subdued colour, even de-badge the car and most people wouldn't notice the difference from a normal Golf or Focus. Astras or Meganes with their coupe body styles are a bit different in that regard.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 05:26 (Ref:3049167)   #49
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
A new one (or near-new) isn't a teenagers car - they can't afford them! Keep it tidy, in a subdued colour, even de-badge the car and most people wouldn't notice the difference from a normal Golf or Focus. Astras or Meganes with their coupe body styles are a bit different in that regard.
Yes I think most of those cars listed in this thread, most teenagers and young adults can't afford or insure unless they have parental assistance. Probably most of the people buying those cars are 25-40 years old.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 22:11 (Ref:3049707)   #50
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You're looking for a sleeper. I just read an article on the new Focus ST... It looks really, really cool. As mentioned earlier, if you get it in grey or black it will look quite conservative. You could even take the spoiler off the back for a sleeker look.

Lots of cool cars in this thread, wish we had more of them here.