Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 5 Aug 2001, 01:13 (Ref:125991)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mansell v. Senna - Spa 1987

I had occasion today to be reminded of a fight between Mansell and Senna following the 1987 race at Spa, but the Net yields no information on the subject beyond a cryptic (and I think incorrect) reference to a "fist fight". I believe it was more of a case of Mansell attempting to strangle Senna.

Can someone give me the actual story of this disagreement? Thanks.
Old 5 Aug 2001, 02:28 (Ref:126005)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ahh yes..it came when good old Nige decided he wanted to pass Senna around the outside on one of Spa's right handers out the back of the track ...it looked like a very impressive move but just wasnt going to work with some like senna...the corner was Senna's in my view...the 2 made contact and both spun off...I cant remember who retired and who got going again ..but one of them rejoined and continued on .....now after the race Im a bit hazy on what happened as well ...but from what I can work out Nige did try to strangle senna after storiming into the Lotus pits ...to which Senna decided the best way to deal with it was to punch the guy in the head....and fair enough to I reckon ...thats what I can work out ..but of course it is not accurate and maybe completely wrong ...but there was some kind of confrontation after the race.

ahhh the good old days when men were men and sheep were scared
Old 5 Aug 2001, 08:40 (Ref:126063)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll have to watch the tape again.

But I do remember there was a tee-shirt you could buy that season with a very Jim Bamber-esque cartoon of little driver figures bashing each other, captioned "Nigel's Belgian Throttle Response."
Old 5 Aug 2001, 10:34 (Ref:126079)   #4
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I recall Nige tried to drive round the outside of Ayrton, but then attepted to reclaim the line before he was fully passed, and collected Senna. They were both out of the race, I think Ayrton managed to limp back to the pits. He was sat in his garage when Nige strode in, Ayrton assumed to appologise. Nige disabused him of that notion by grabbing the little brazilian by the throat. Mr. Mansell was then restrained by members of Team Lotus.

The situation for UK viewers was further inflamed by James Hunt declaring that it was senna's fault, when anyone with any understanding of racing could clearly see Mansell made a mistake. I remember a couple of weeks later a very funny bit at the following GP where James was made to eat humble pie and admit he called it completely wrong.