Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 18 Oct 2017, 01:11 (Ref:3774771)   #326
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Auto hebdo magazine, have an interview with Pierre Fillon and talks about the future of LMP1 and the reflection of a return to prototypes aesthetically close to street hyper cars.
The cover of the magazine has a nice render of Mercedes AMG Proyect one racing in Le Mans.

https://scontent.fsst1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...9b&oe=5A8756D2
Sounds like a great idea to me.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 01:27 (Ref:3774775)   #327
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Sounds like a great idea to me.
Yes, I like the idea too.
Maybe it is the result of the survey.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 01:52 (Ref:3774781)   #328
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes, I like the idea too.
Maybe it is the result of the survey.
For the topic of this thread, it does make me wonder how the current GTE teams would react to a GTish top prototype class. Would some of them step up and ignore their GTE programs or do a program in addition?
Old 18 Oct 2017, 03:57 (Ref:3774785)   #329
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
For the topic of this thread, it does make me wonder how the current GTE teams would react to a GTish top prototype class. Would some of them step up and ignore their GTE programs or do a program in addition?
Very good question. I guess it depends of the cost, how free will the rules be and if they are going to apply some kind of BOP.
LMP1 just fell by the explosion of the costs and the same thing happened at the end of 90's, I have the feeling that the ACO will take its precautions this time.
if this GTish top prototype class happens, perhaps the most logical would be that the GTE transform into these GT1 or GTP rules and GTE-AM use GT3 cars.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 04:10 (Ref:3774786)   #330
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good way to ruin 2 classes! One of which has been pretty FRAKKING good for 15-ish years.

L.P.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 04:46 (Ref:3774788)   #331
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The idea would be to bring back the GTP or supercars spirit (Aston Martin Valkirie, La Ferrari, Mercedes AMG) like the GT1 in the late 90's.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 08:00 (Ref:3774807)   #332
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Very good question. I guess it depends of the cost, how free will the rules be and if they are going to apply some kind of BOP.
LMP1 just fell by the explosion of the costs and the same thing happened at the end of 90's, I have the feeling that the ACO will take its precautions this time.
if this GTish top prototype class happens, perhaps the most logical would be that the GTE transform into these GT1 or GTP rules and GTE-AM use GT3 cars.
Considering that a lmp2 can't cost more than about 500.000€
If for this GTP cars will be used lmp1/lmp2 regs. chassis, it couldn't be much more expensive, surely cheaper than an lmp1.
You can build any kind of car shape around that kind of carbon tub.
Considering that new gte cost is about 1mln €, don't think that GTP cars could be more expensive.

Example: take an lmp2 chassis, build around a bodywork looking like a LaFerrari. Fit inside the same road V12 6.2 (without hybrid stuff of course) and you get a new GTP.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3774897)   #333
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
The idea would be to bring back the GTP or supercars spirit (Aston Martin Valkirie, La Ferrari, Mercedes AMG) like the GT1 in the late 90's.
I like the idea, these cars would be more beautiful than the current LMP1.
I wonder if the new Toyota hypercar mentioned in the Toyota LMP1 thread has to do with this change of ideology of the ACO so that these hypercars are the Top class.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 19:35 (Ref:3775095)   #334
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Considering that a lmp2 can't cost more than about 500.000€
If for this GTP cars will be used lmp1/lmp2 regs. chassis, it couldn't be much more expensive, surely cheaper than an lmp1.
You can build any kind of car shape around that kind of carbon tub.
Considering that new gte cost is about 1mln €, don't think that GTP cars could be more expensive.

Example: take an lmp2 chassis, build around a bodywork looking like a LaFerrari. Fit inside the same road V12 6.2 (without hybrid stuff of course) and you get a new GTP.
Why would they do that? DPi is basically what that is. The car's themselves should be strong enough to race. They lower the weight/aero treatment further than GTE does and they'll be monster quick.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 11:55 (Ref:3776091)   #335
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
GT Proto?

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/1...-unpicked.html
Old 24 Oct 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3776218)   #336
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Would be great. The big honking fin has to go though. Don't forget that we had the Corvette DP not that long ago. A great looking piece of machinery. Yes it was under the tube frame DP rule set but if you can use that concept to build GT-LMP cars then that will be great. It will get someone like me who is more a GT fan more excited too.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 19:11 (Ref:3776222)   #337
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Realistically, the fin isn't going anywhere.

Old 24 Oct 2017, 23:28 (Ref:3776275)   #338
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Realistically, the fin isn't going anywhere.

Those flights of the Corvette DPs occurred before the 4 holes of the body were placed in the part near to the wheels just like the LMP. When IMSA required the placement of these holes the cars did not fly any more and they did not have the fin.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 01:17 (Ref:3776279)   #339
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Those flights of the Corvette DPs occurred before the 4 holes of the body were placed in the part near to the wheels just like the LMP. When IMSA required the placement of these holes the cars did not fly any more and they did not have the fin.
That was the Old Folks Racing Riley and it had the holes.

Old 25 Oct 2017, 06:39 (Ref:3776313)   #340
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
As Matt said, it did have the holes. Also, just because one didn't fly, doesn't mean it wouldn't - it could mean it hasn't been under those circumstances.

Yes the fins are ugly. I personally find the holes uglier myself, but I think we all agree both are ugly. But they do work. We do have less flying cars than we used to. Yes, there are circumstances where they haven't worked, but in the last 7-8 years combined, that adds up less to 2008 alone.

The fins are ugly, but don't get your hopes up - it does help and they'll stay. It might as well be something we get used to.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 12:50 (Ref:3776375)   #341
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
As Matt said, it did have the holes. Also, just because one didn't fly, doesn't mean it wouldn't - it could mean it hasn't been under those circumstances.

Yes the fins are ugly. I personally find the holes uglier myself, but I think we all agree both are ugly. But they do work. We do have less flying cars than we used to. Yes, there are circumstances where they haven't worked, but in the last 7-8 years combined, that adds up less to 2008 alone.

The fins are ugly, but don't get your hopes up - it does help and they'll stay. It might as well be something we get used to.
I hope that somebody correct me if I am wrong but I have the sensation that the fin does not serve to avoid the flight only serves to stabilize it in case the flight occurs so that the car is going in a straight direction without starting to spin. I think only the holes are to avoid the flight.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 13:41 (Ref:3776384)   #342
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
GTLM cars don't flip!
Old 25 Oct 2017, 17:38 (Ref:3776429)   #343
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
I hope that somebody correct me if I am wrong but I have the sensation that the fin does not serve to avoid the flight only serves to stabilize it in case the flight occurs so that the car is going in a straight direction without starting to spin. I think only the holes are to avoid the flight.
It does both. https://www.carthrottle.com/post/how...omeback-to-f1/

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ar...-new-shark-fin

And it’s not there merely to keep the car straight. It works by offering an aero-obstacle once the car has yawed, or rotated, sideways beyond recovery, for whatever reason. Air rushing over the car side meets the fin and piles up against it, boosting pressure above the car side and cancelling the deadly lifting force.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3776433)   #344
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
It does both. https://www.carthrottle.com/post/how...omeback-to-f1/

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ar...-new-shark-fin

And it’s not there merely to keep the car straight. It works by offering an aero-obstacle once the car has yawed, or rotated, sideways beyond recovery, for whatever reason. Air rushing over the car side meets the fin and piles up against it, boosting pressure above the car side and cancelling the deadly lifting force.
Thanks you for the information and explanation!!!
Old 25 Oct 2017, 18:38 (Ref:3776435)   #345
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Don't thank me! I tried to write it up, and it was like a 5 year old trying to explain how aerodynamics work I eventually gave up and Googled it.

Unfortunately, it does mean that we're probably stuck with the fins for a good while. They aren't pretty, but I don't see them going away, or the holes for that matter. Even if big GT concepts replaced LMPs.

For what it's worth, I don't find the current LMPs THAT ugly. I don't know why, I just don't. I prefer them to the open top with a single seat, and I really didn't like LMP675 style. I like the current LMPs. 2016 Audi R18 was ugly though.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3776436)   #346
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
GTLM cars don't flip!
I understand that GT Proto is going to be more extreme than GTLM maybe at an intermediate point between GTE/GTLM and LMP1. Anyway as the cockpit is going to be bigger than LMP there is less place for a very big fin and it will definitely be smaller in the style of the Mercedes AMG Project One, Lamborghini Veneno or Glickenhaus p4/5 competizione.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3777581)   #347
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
I understand that GT Proto is going to be more extreme than GTLM maybe at an intermediate point between GTE/GTLM and LMP1. Anyway as the cockpit is going to be bigger than LMP there is less place for a very big fin and it will definitely be smaller in the style of the Mercedes AMG Project One, Lamborghini Veneno or Glickenhaus p4/5 competizione.
The new Ferrari FXX K Evo has a small fin too.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-new...ate-laferrari/
Old 30 Oct 2017, 22:25 (Ref:3777631)   #348
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
GTLM cars don't flip!
At this point GTE cars have aero that would be more prone to blowover than most GT3s, and those have with the worst possible consequences. One of the Vipers damn near blew over at VIR with the smaller overhangs and less pitch sensitive underbody of the old rules. It's a serious problem that hasn't been getting seriously addressed.
Old 31 Oct 2017, 01:37 (Ref:3777654)   #349
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
At this point GTE cars have aero that would be more prone to blowover than most GT3s, and those have with the worst possible consequences. One of the Vipers damn near blew over at VIR with the smaller overhangs and less pitch sensitive underbody of the old rules. It's a serious problem that hasn't been getting seriously addressed.
I'm not an expert on such matters, but doesn't the extra 400kg of weight on a GT car mean it takes even more force to blow over compared to a LMP? Also, does the diffuser on the current generation of GTE cars increase or decrease the likely hood of a flip?
Old 31 Oct 2017, 04:50 (Ref:3777677)   #350
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If those gets high enough it should increase the possibility of a blow over. At the very least it won't be helpful.