Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Sep 2000, 23:31 (Ref:37207)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

From Planet F1:

September 14: McLaren design guru rumoured to be high on Jaguar's 'want' list.

Just twenty-four hours after revealing that Jaguar are looking to recruit CART chief executive, and team owner, Bobby Rahal to become their new team boss, Planet F1 has learned that the Ford backed outfit are keen to acquire the services of McLaren design genius Adrian Newey.

Since Newey joined McLaren in 1997, the Woking based outfit has gone from strength to strength - with Newey's contribution widely acknowledged to be a major factor.

Prior to joining McLaren, Newey had performed similar technical miracles with Williams, his cars taking successive championship honours with Alain Prost, Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve.

In recent months there have been rumours that Ferrari were keen to recruit Newey, with McLaren making it clear that the Englishman is not available.

However the prospect of turning the legendary Jaguar marque in to a winning outfit, together with the vast salary that would be on offer, might prove too tempting.

-------------

Hmmmm... Jaguar ARE getting desperate for results - a new manager and a new designer being sought.

I think it's time Jag realised that 1 season isn't enough in F1. They should look at BAR and see how a team has to work and develop itself over time.

Old 15 Sep 2000, 00:15 (Ref:37218)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
signing Newey by anybody could hardly be considered an act of desperation, just good sense. He is after all the fastest man in F1!!!
Old 15 Sep 2000, 03:03 (Ref:37246)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Wait till the Minardi Renault qualifies in front of Jaguar, then you will see desperation.
Old 15 Sep 2000, 18:19 (Ref:37379)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!

I totaly agree with you Enemy-Ace...With the kind of money that Jaguar can afford to pump into there effort,hire the best man for the job at any cost....Mr Newey is the "fastest" man in F1 on the design board
Old 15 Sep 2000, 18:39 (Ref:37380)   #5
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
Hmmmm... Jaguar ARE getting desperate for results - a new manager and a new designer being sought.

I think it's time Jag realised that 1 season isn't enough in F1. They should look at BAR and see how a team has to work and develop itself over time.

This isnt so new. Earlier in the season there were rumors of Jag talking to Brawn and Todt. Besides, I've always claimed that Jag does realize it takes more than 1 year to produce results. It's those of us here in the cheap seats that expect them to show immediate results.

Old 15 Sep 2000, 19:48 (Ref:37392)   #6
Regs
Rookie

Regs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jag may very well understand that F1 takes time to show results. But more importantly than those of us in the cheap seats is the members of Ford's board of directors and stockholders who are funding this adventure. Ford does very well in the BTCC series, good presence in Rally and NASCAR. As well as CART. And these deliver positive results for the money and the investment is far less. They also provide a good real world R&D lab. But the F1 situation has been a disaster this year. Some may argue that "Jag" have had plenty of time to develop as all the current Jag team is, is Stewart/Ford rebadged as Jag and plug out Rubens and plug in EI. So they made some managerial changes and some staff changes and gave the whole thing a very high profile. Stewart/Ford did well last year and probably saw no reason why they wouldn't continue to improve this year. Well, its been an embarassment. And Jag is turning into a laughing stock. These days its not a Ken Tyrell type who will hang in there through thick and thin whose in charge. Even if they sent Rahaul to be in charge he wouldn't be in charge. Its Jag's CFO (or maybe Ford's) who ultimately might be in charge from the perspective that he has the numbers and all he has to say is this is a bad investment whose PR and marketing value does not justify the return on investment. And while Nasser can try to sell the board on continuing the program, the board can still potentially kill it. So yeah, they may very well be desperate and it wouldn't suprise me if they were. If next season is a repeat of this season then there might just be two open spots on the grid.
Old 15 Sep 2000, 22:52 (Ref:37422)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Focus lacking

They have lost focus. Look at the way that BAR-Honda are going about things this year. Step by step, and getting better. I think that Jaguar/Ford , lost the plot when Stewart had to step down. They had the one person who could lead them to success. Too many non persons wanted to be big shots in F1, and they just don't have the talent or expertise. With their managerial changes, all they managed to achieve was great sales of all that memorabilia and stuff with jaguar logos - stuff that I would use to decorate dunnies. What's a dunny? Did you see the corrugated iron sheds in the Olympic opening ceremony? (thank God Volvo never got their name into this mess).
Old 15 Sep 2000, 22:57 (Ref:37423)   #8
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaguar have one big problem in the Area of design, He's called Gary Anderson. Don't get me wrong the guy is a great designer, but his working approach, is "I'm in charge and we do it my way". Thats why he left Jordan when Mike Gascoyne arrived and why Stewarts designers left when he arrived.

One of those who left is Egbahl Hamidy. He was largely responsible for last years Stewart, which was quite competitive, and even managed to win a race.

This year he has been largely responsible for the Arrows, and look what a good car that has turned out to be.

And as for next year? Well Ferrari tried to get him but Eddie Jordan has done the deal. To replace Mike Gascoyne.

Where did Egbahl come from? Williams. He was senior Aerodynamicist working alongside one Adrian Newey! And jaguar let him go!!!!!!
Old 16 Sep 2000, 10:26 (Ref:37486)   #9
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'd say Jaguar have even less chance of surviving the next 5 years in F1 than BAR.

The Jaguar's performance this season has been shameful - a Minardi with an older Ford engine which was given to them at the last minute laps faster during the races - you'll also frequently see Gene fighting it out with Johnny.

Jaguar have a LONG way to go...
Old 17 Sep 2000, 22:52 (Ref:37756)   #10
Willf
Rookie

Willf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shut yo' rap
iz gon kik yo asss
ok so jaguar spend loads of money
and don't get the results they want
so go off trying to change a formula
to get instant sucess in a silly childish manner
showing their inexperiance which
may ultimately lead to their downfall
BUT
they is lookin soo cool
dey is green an evryfin

layoff man
i might have to k??l ya wiv ma .45 innit!
Old 18 Sep 2000, 00:48 (Ref:37765)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
PUT YOUR MONEY
ON THE DUNNY!
IT WILL OUT DRAG
THAT BOG OF A JAG
Old 18 Sep 2000, 01:06 (Ref:37767)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Willf, was that REALLY neccessary?

If you don't mind, I think the death threats could be avoided.
Old 18 Sep 2000, 19:00 (Ref:37875)   #13
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm...indeed.

Anyway, what's all this about BAR being "not too bad" or, dare I say it, "improving"?? With their budget this season has been PATHETIC! It really has! Better than last year, granted, but is that REALLY saying all that much? No. It isn't.

Jaguar with their mega bucks have also been diabolical this year. However, as with BAR, their IS enourmous potential (enourmous budget more like!) and they both should do A LOT better next year. With or without Newey.
Old 20 Sep 2000, 20:19 (Ref:38262)   #14
Willf
Rookie

we'll all die sooner or later

**** man most the posts here aren't REALLY necesary

but empty threats at least remind everyone
that they are alive
sometimes kikin'

also **** man is a figure of speach and when a make a point
rationally i never get a response
so now you can all be offended by evil words
instead of other tiresome stuff
blah blah blah
someone else talk for me i can't be bothered

also Jaguar is best so therenstuff
Old 20 Sep 2000, 20:22 (Ref:38263)   #15
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

How old are you Wilfred ?
Old 20 Sep 2000, 23:48 (Ref:38319)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
White Van Man, my firstraction was to go for the I.Q. Then I remember that we do not insult anyone here on this forum - that's why I came here in the first place. So, I will just ignore that guy's post.
Do you still drive the White van?
Jaguar must be really desperate - they even tried out a yellow New York cab!!
Old 21 Sep 2000, 01:19 (Ref:38326)   #17
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

excellent posts willf, do you write for a living or is it just a hobby or yours...
Old 21 Sep 2000, 03:09 (Ref:38330)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McDonald's is giving away hotwheels F1 cars. They have lots of Jaguars left, oddly enough it's the Jordans that are going the fastest.

Would that they WERE the ones going the fastest!

Rahal will make no difference at Jaguar. Eddie will jeer at him and Burti doesn't know him from Adam's House Cat, and the only good that will come of it is that he will not be running CART and trying to suck up to The Man That Ruined Indy.

But Jagwire will be a better team next year or pilots will be hard to find....
Old 21 Sep 2000, 20:57 (Ref:38492)   #19
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Am I the only Jag fan on this bb?

Just wait for Ford to get their act right and believe me the Green lightening will be kicking ass! It can well happen the next season or with Dario in 2002

Old 21 Sep 2000, 21:08 (Ref:38494)   #20
Willf
Rookie

may not have guessed it
but i is secretlee Jilly Cooper
innit
man my formless dull prose is an identikit
boyaka

Liz man is us brits gonna get us
some Mc Jags
dat'd B wak
some phat weels wiv da happy meal
(official notice: i actually
never go into McDonalds so forgive me if them cars came and went already)

Jags is green= best(not fastest)

Old 21 Sep 2000, 23:04 (Ref:38512)   #21
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally i don't think Irvine has earned the right to jeer at anyone this year! Sure the car is BAD but as far as i can see he hasn't tried to tame it at all. (I am a little biased against Irvine, as i have never rated him very highly.)
Rahal on the other hand is a good fit, he's not being asked to RACE the cars just organize a Race Team, and if the TEAM doesn't realize this and work with him, then their sorry butts should go.