Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 May 2003, 18:53 (Ref:589367)   #1
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worst Sauber ever?

This years Sauber seems like a real dog. I cannot believe it as it is half of last years Ferrari. The chassis or aerodynamics must be terrible.

Anybody got any clues. Is it the drivers? I honestly thought Sauber would be up there with the big guys this year.
Old 4 May 2003, 18:56 (Ref:589371)   #2
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its the invisible paint they put on their cars, it must be slowing them down.

Well come on, has anyone seen the Saubers this year?
Old 4 May 2003, 19:51 (Ref:589445)   #3
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Saubers are always anonymous.... but the drivers can't be that bad, Heidfeld's had a podium, Frentzen's won races, that Ferrari engine won everything last year, which only leaves the chassis...
Old 4 May 2003, 19:53 (Ref:589448)   #4
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they have problems with generating grip from their aeroparts and they know it but don't seem to have a solution yet, it also looks like the michelin tyres are better, but also bar is in front of them...

Last edited by flor; 4 May 2003 at 19:54.
Old 4 May 2003, 19:53 (Ref:589449)   #5
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess they ran out of money for engineers after building the $30mil windtunnel, Hank the janitor is doing the best he can. Now im no Ken Tyrell but the C22 just doesnt look right at all, not anything like the other cars. Very boxy, especially that wide front nose.
Old 4 May 2003, 21:46 (Ref:589561)   #6
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they did lose some important people on the design/engineering side. Of course the development of Jaguar, Toyota and BAR has shuffled them back. That was only a matter of time really.
Old 4 May 2003, 21:47 (Ref:589564)   #7
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "worst Sauber ever"?? Um, not *quite*. But not as good as the previous two, which were unusually good.
Old 4 May 2003, 21:52 (Ref:589569)   #8
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber are really struggling at the moment & i don't know if there's a great deal the team can do about it, every time a car came up behind one of the Sauber's they caught it like it was standing still.
Old 5 May 2003, 02:14 (Ref:589714)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Saubers isn't that bad, but many teams have made leaps forward while Sauber have stagnated somewhat in the past 6-12 months.

Most of the problems simply lie with the aerodynamics. The drivers are always complaining about grip.

As for being anonymous, aren't the Saubers' always like that? We Sauber fans are glad as we are also ignored.
Old 5 May 2003, 03:10 (Ref:589728)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I agree F1manoz, it's not that Sauber have gone backwards, just that 2 or 3 teams have made major leaps forward.
Old 5 May 2003, 04:03 (Ref:589739)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder if things will improve with a customer Ilmor-Mercedes in the tail in 2004?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 May 2003, 05:08 (Ref:589754)   #12
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Their aero department has gone to s**t ever since Rinland left.

It seems like Sauber must have hired the geniuses that the Idiot Ski Instructor had over at BAR before Richards/Willis came along.

Last edited by corkholio; 5 May 2003 at 05:10.
Old 5 May 2003, 05:51 (Ref:589767)   #13
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 2001, the Rinland twin-keel chassis was brilliant, while BAR, Jordan and Jaguar were terrible.

In 2002, there wasn't that much development, but they were able to do well with what was largely the 2001 in essence, as no one else really made big improvements.

This year, once again there hasn't been alot of improvement, where as Toyota, BAR, and Jaguar have made big leaps.

It was inevitable really.
Old 5 May 2003, 10:57 (Ref:589925)   #14
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worst Sauber ever has gotta be the 1996 Sauber Ford.
Old 5 May 2003, 11:52 (Ref:589949)   #15
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is Worst Sauber since 1997
Old 5 May 2003, 12:44 (Ref:589975)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The 1997 Sauber-Petronas wasn't that bad. Johnny Herbert scored quite a number of points in it.

He scored 15 points that year, with one third in Hungary, two fourths in Argentina and at Spa, two fifths in Spain and Canada and a sixth at Suzuka. Add to that 5 other top 10 finishes and only two non-finishes through mechanical failure and I think you have quite a good car.

Nicola Larini also scored one point in Australia while Gianni Morbidelli was consistent though never really looked like scoring.
Old 5 May 2003, 13:04 (Ref:589990)   #17
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sauber is on a down hill ride unless a car maker buys them out or takes over . I like Sauber but teams like Ferrari ,Merc ,Renault ,Bmw, Jag ,Toyota & honda will leave them behind quickly over the coming years unless Sauber jumps on the band wagon they will be left will Minardi & Jordan at the back
Old 5 May 2003, 13:26 (Ref:590004)   #18
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It really looks like they need to get the cheque book out and get a new design then. Such a shame on paper they should be a potential race winner.
Old 5 May 2003, 13:37 (Ref:590013)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a bad year for Sauber, in addition with a "into retirement" driver like HHF. I guess THAT this is what Peter Sauber meant when he say the team need a experienced driver.
Old 5 May 2003, 15:25 (Ref:590086)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The days when a private team can really compete are over. The 2001 car grabbed them bback up the order, aided by Kimi's brilliance and Nick having been previously under-rated. 2003 seems to be the year that Jaguar, BAR and Toyota have all got it together, which has mired Sauber down with the other privateers. They haven't looked like scoring on true pace so far, and probably never will.
Old 5 May 2003, 17:11 (Ref:590165)   #21
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"it's not that Sauber have gone backwards, just that 2 or 3 teams have made major leaps forward."

..which is the same thing. If you stop swimming, you sink.
Old 7 May 2003, 11:30 (Ref:592245)   #22
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
aided by Kimi's brilliance

Aided by Kimi's "brilliance" even though Heidfeld outscored and out performed him!
Old 7 May 2003, 11:36 (Ref:592250)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder how next years Sauber will go with the Mercades engine in it? (as was mentioned on tv during the weekend!)
Old 8 May 2003, 06:01 (Ref:593095)   #24
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reasons why is their own windtunnel would only be operational at the end of this year and the next nearest windtunnel to their headquarters is hundreds of miles away...i think by mid 2004 onwards, they would be able to produce a better car.
Old 8 May 2003, 12:23 (Ref:593413)   #25
Joe Machado
Rookie

Joe Machado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber is probably the tighest run ship in F1. Peter Sauber is a stuborn, tough S.O.B. and that is probably the reason why they cannot come up with a car that is able to explore the best engine/transmission combination today. Its about time they sell the team to someone who is flexible and able to design a winner.