Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Which driver is going to win the VASC Driver’s Championship In 2018?
#1 Jamie Whincup RBHRT Holden 6 14.63%
#2 Scott Pye WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#5 Mark Winterbottom Tickford Ford 0 0%
#6 Cameron Waters Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#7 Andre Heimgartner NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#8 Nick Percat BJR Holden 0 0%
#9 David Reynolds Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#12 Fabian Coulthard DJRTP Ford 1 2.44%
#14 Tim Slade BJR Holden 0 0%
#15 Rick Kelly NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#17 Scott McLaughlin DJRTP Ford 22 53.66%
#18 Lee Holdsworth Team18 Holden 0 0%
#19 Jack Le Brocq Tekno Holden 0 0%
#21 Tim Blanchard TBR Holden 0 0%
#23 Michael Caruso NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#25 James Courtney WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#33 Garth Tander GRM Holden 0 0%
#34 James Golding GRM Holden 0 0%
#35 Todd Hazelwood MSR Ford 0 0%
#55 Chaz Mostert Tickford Ford 4 9.76%
#56 Richie Stanaway Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#78 Simona de Silvestro NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#97 Shane van Gisbergen RBHRT Holden 2 4.88%
#99 Anton de Pasquale Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#230 Will Davison 23RED Ford 0 0%
#888 Craig Lowndes ALR Holden 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 Sep 2017, 11:05 (Ref:3765633)   #851
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Nor should they have to..
So you're telling (or not) us you too think that Stanaway, shouldn't have come to development, just gone from a car with traction control, ABS, stability control, to a car with none of these and hope people will see them as successful?

The teams and drivers know the difficulty of the cars, yet the public seems to overlook it, and then when a driver doesn't perform, then they are the worst driver known to the series. This whole development time is a waste annoys me, and I am not the only one, I don't get fired up over much but this gets me going. It seems most here also see the point of Development, and so do the drivers, believe me, I know of some drivers who have seen comments here saying Richie shouldn't have done development laps and they were dumbfounded, it helped Richie (and hurt as the keyboard warriors will think its his game all the time). Any laps in a V8 Supercar is worth a huge amount to up and coming drivers.

Say a driver comes from these categories:

F1 - Few similarities
DTM - a few things similar, but not the same
WEC - a lot of assists to help them, need to learn 650+ horsepower of V8
NASCAR - Bigger, heavier, less sophisticated in the words of Skaife and Crompton

All take skill, yet all are very much chalk and cheese to one another.

My answer to the asked question is my opinion of it, and a few other people I know, some of those race in professional levels. It is all silly to say development doesn't pay, even if it is half a year, its better then nothing in my view.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 11:13 (Ref:3765637)   #852
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isn't this the purpose of the Supercar Superlicence?

There are pilots in Super2 that you might not let push a shopping trolley let alone a main series Supercar. Does hanging around in Super2 for years automatically give a pilot the skills to be at the front in the main game?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 9 Sep 2017, 11:24 (Ref:3765639)   #853
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

There are pilots in Super2 that you might not let push a shopping trolley let alone a main series Supercar. Does hanging around in Super2 for years automatically give a pilot the skills to be at the front in the main game?
well in that case how many points does he have?

however just because a person has enough points does not mean they will be running at the front or better than the driver currently in the car
Old 9 Sep 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3765641)   #854
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

No, look at the Kostecki's, but it does give you one crucial thing if you have talent, a feel for a complex car
Old 9 Sep 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3765642)   #855
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
So you're telling (or not) us you too think that Stanaway, shouldn't have come to development, just gone from a car with traction control, ABS, stability control, to a car with none of these and hope people will see them as successful?

The teams and drivers know the difficulty of the cars, yet the public seems to overlook it, and then when a driver doesn't perform, then they are the worst driver known to the series. This whole development time is a waste annoys me, and I am not the only one, I don't get fired up over much but this gets me going. It seems most here also see the point of Development, and so do the drivers, believe me, I know of some drivers who have seen comments here saying Richie shouldn't have done development laps and they were dumbfounded, it helped Richie (and hurt as the keyboard warriors will think its his game all the time). Any laps in a V8 Supercar is worth a huge amount to up and coming drivers.

Say a driver comes from these categories:

F1 - Few similarities
DTM - a few things similar, but not the same
WEC - a lot of assists to help them, need to learn 650+ horsepower of V8
NASCAR - Bigger, heavier, less sophisticated in the words of Skaife and Crompton

All take skill, yet all are very much chalk and cheese to one another.

My answer to the asked question is my opinion of it, and a few other people I know, some of those race in professional levels. It is all silly to say development doesn't pay, even if it is half a year, its better then nothing in my view.

With very few exceptions in my 30 plus years of watching motorsport if a driver is not immediately quick when they start in a new category they are unlikely ever be quick no matter how may miles they might get.

Notable exceptions being Jimmie Johnson who was a midfield runner at best in the Busch Series ,(yes I know he won one race before his Cup debut) and closer to home Jamie Whincup.

You can slow 'em down but it is darn hard to speed 'em up.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 11:44 (Ref:3765646)   #856
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
With very few exceptions in my 30 plus years of watching motorsport if a driver is not immediately quick when they start in a new category they are unlikely ever be quick no matter how may miles they might get.

Notable exceptions being Jimmie Johnson who was a midfield runner at best in the Busch Series ,(yes I know he won one race before his Cup debut) and closer to home Jamie Whincup.

You can slow 'em down but it is darn hard to speed 'em up.
I'd say SVG, Courtney, Coulthard were also names who struggled initially but really came on to be decent drivers, as we all know, its a mix of driver and team. But key is mileage. You put someone like Lowndes as a driver coach for the likes of Marjoram, Brodie Kostecki or Fullwood and they will accelerate, sometimes they need that spark to help them. Whincup had it when he lost his seat, but your right, a lot can't be sped up.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 04:40 (Ref:3765962)   #857
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Meantime is AA this week, Mr Branagan suggests that Ms De Silvestro may have been scouting out opportunities beyond her Nissan location for next season.

The article indicated that Tekno may have been involved in discussions about a switch to the Holden brand.

NisMoAu says no way, there is a contract.

Yet you might imagine if you keep being slow in 2013-model gear, and the only one in the team with gear of that vintage, something will have to give soon..
Old 11 Sep 2017, 04:55 (Ref:3765964)   #858
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps the equipment is a reflection of the budget?

Perhaps, the Kelly Krate lives on?
Old 11 Sep 2017, 05:10 (Ref:3765965)   #859
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Perhaps the equipment is a reflection of the budget?

Perhaps, the Kelly Krate lives on?
I would imagine it to be complex for Supercar (and commercial friends) to withdraw support for a manufacturer supported team and place it at a privateer... especially when said manufacturer's participation is in flux.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 05:59 (Ref:3765970)   #860
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You'd have to imagine there would be a certain expectation on what specification the car runs in.

But then again, the bloke at the head of it all, seems to have a knack for selling pups to sponsors, teams, and drivers alike
Old 11 Sep 2017, 07:24 (Ref:3765976)   #861
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Where does Auto Fiction get their information from, I have seen a number of things from Auto Action including as GTR said, Nissan and Simona, GRM with 4 cars, and none of it has been true. I don't believe it unless its from Supercars.com or speedcafe as they are reasonably reliable
Old 11 Sep 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3765984)   #862
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Where does Auto Fiction get their information from, I have seen a number of things from Auto Action including as GTR said, Nissan and Simona, GRM with 4 cars, and none of it has been true. I don't believe it unless its from Supercars.com or speedcafe as they are reasonably reliable
They actually attend race meetings and speak to people... as funny as that might sound...
Old 11 Sep 2017, 09:16 (Ref:3765994)   #863
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
They actually attend race meetings and speak to people... as funny as that might sound...
So why did they claim GRM was moving to 4 cars, when GRM themselves said its not a possibility, they did look at it a while ago according to Garry, but its not a chance
Old 11 Sep 2017, 09:21 (Ref:3765996)   #864
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Where there is a fair bit of gibberish beings spoken. To maintain readership, credibility needs to be maintained and stories like the GRM one which was clearly wrong don't help the cause.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 09:22 (Ref:3765997)   #865
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
I mean seriously look at this, and I am not shooting the messanger, but there is no way that Will is headed back to PRA, as of Bright's retirement the team is looking at the young guns of Jacobson and Stanaway.

https://prnt.sc/gjplze

They got the GRM possibly expanding part right, but as of 2018, even GRM said they weren't looking at that and budget will probably not allow it in the near future, I don't care who wrote it, just because they say it doesn't mean its true, look at Mr Phelps, he goes to events and says the most ridiculous things such as mustang in 2018, neither of the Ford teams have anything set yet

https://prnt.sc/gjpmlm
Old 11 Sep 2017, 09:24 (Ref:3765998)   #866
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
So why did they claim GRM was moving to 4 cars, when GRM themselves said its not a possibility, they did look at it a while ago according to Garry, but its not a chance
Why did the team owner get quoted directly in the articles?

Clearly you don't understand the purposes of some of these stories
Old 11 Sep 2017, 09:26 (Ref:3765999)   #867
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Why did the team owner get quoted directly in the articles?

Clearly you don't understand the purposes of some of these stories
Got the article to show it
Old 11 Sep 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3766000)   #868
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Got the article to show it
How do you choose to comment on its validity without it?
Old 11 Sep 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3766001)   #869
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You'd have to imagine there would be a certain expectation on what specification the car runs in.

But then again, the bloke at the head of it all, seems to have a knack for selling pups to sponsors, teams, and drivers alike
You might need to be more specific about whether said bloke is head of the Nissan Racing outfit or otherwise? Please and thank you
Old 11 Sep 2017, 09:35 (Ref:3766002)   #870
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Long way to go yet in this silly season, team ownership, car makes etc.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 09:46 (Ref:3766004)   #871
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
You might need to be more specific about whether said bloke is head of the Nissan Racing outfit or otherwise? Please and thank you
The same guy that handles Ms Gracie's affairs.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 09:49 (Ref:3766005)   #872
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
How do you choose to comment on its validity without it?
I am going off the comments you and Mayhem ( I think) made. Fairly reliable word, but for Auto Action to say things that no other site has even said is a long bow. No PRA Davison talk anywhere else, no talk about Simona anywhere else and Supercars made an article explaining the GRM situation, when only one journalist group says something I find it questionable
Old 11 Sep 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3766007)   #873
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The same guy that handles Ms Gracie's affairs.
Oh right. Ms Gracie seems to respectable to have affairs

Katie Page won't want Simona disadvantaged in real Supercars, let alone e-Sport Supercars.

Go, Harvey Norman, Go!
Old 11 Sep 2017, 10:27 (Ref:3766013)   #874
Umai Naa
Veteran

Affairs with reagrds to managing her racing career.

I suppose Mrs Page would probably hit the roof, if she understood the concept of the Kelly Krate.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3766029)   #875
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
And what is that concept of the Kelly Crate Umai Naa, you haven't actually explained it too us, just that the head of Nissan is doing something