Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Jan 2008, 21:53 (Ref:2109076)   #26
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK I must add my tidbit. I don't believe you have must push or credibility in your statement as must of the CC naysayers here don't like Mark C and find AR1 to be not credible. So now the fact finding make AR1 more credible? I just don't buy it.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2109080)   #27
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
According to CC's prime rumour-monger (AR1), not so much:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
The $2 million isn't enough (it seems) to buy a CC ride, so naturally the driver has to bring additional funds. CC has stopped subsidizing rides.

According to CC's prime rumour-monger (AR1), not so much:

Quote:
Our sources in the Atlantic series are saying that the rumors about Matos going to Andretti Green Racing (AGR) in the IRL's IPS series are correct. Apparently the situation inside Champ Car is such that many of the teams are getting multi-million dollar subsidies in the form of free tires and engine leases from Champ Car. But if they take Matos with his $2 million, they do not get these subsidies... thus, taking less cash from a paying driver like Dan Clarke, added to their subsidies, results in an overall higher dollar figure.

Champ Car wants Matos to drive for Rocketsports, which is a back-of-the-field team, and this one-year deal includes no salary, no travel expenses and all prize money goes to the team. On the other hand, AGR is offering him a 3-year deal, decent salary, test days in the IRL car and the chance to move up in a commercially-viable team that operates in both the IRL and ALMS. You really can't blame Raphael.

interesting stuff mountain
Old 18 Jan 2008, 21:57 (Ref:2109081)   #28
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote9999
OK I must add my tidbit. I don't believe you have must push or credibility in your statement as must of the CC naysayers here don't like Mark C and find AR1 to be not credible. So now the fact finding make AR1 more credible? I just don't buy it.
i don't understand a word of that
Old 18 Jan 2008, 21:58 (Ref:2109083)   #29
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
interesting stuff, nice post

it really does make me laugh that these guys have all had hissy fits about Honda apparently "demanding" that AGR employ Hideki Mutoh (links)

yet on a weekly basis we see stuff like the above link

glass houses do you think?
Honda probably didn't demand anything but if AGR wanted honda's money they would take Mutoh and they did.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2109086)   #30
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Luke, who do you think is funding it? Do you honestly think that all the teams are footing their own freight? Where are they getting it? Sponsorship and prize money are next-to-nothing. I realize you're a bit removed geographically on how this is working over here but Pook blew $90 million in the final year of CART to keep the series going, a lot of it on team subsidies that were well-stated in CART's public documents. These teams' situations are no better now than they were then. If KK and GF are coming up with free engines and tires as Mark C. said (who knows?), then they OWN Cosworth and they PAID or TRADED a deal with Bridgestone to be able to do it.

Indeed, PKV was in such good financial shape that it took Tristan Gommendy, a pay driver, last year. Forsythe refused initially last season to run a second car unless it was "paid for" and later relented. Petit bought and closed RuSport and joined Forsythe. Gentilozzi is off to the side waiting for money to show up. And these guys OWN the series.

Judging by what's happened lately, it appears that KK is backing away (or meditating with the penguins again) because he hasn't said a word since before the JDSU trial. Forsythe and KK were known to disagree on things and it appears Forsythe is taking more command of this now and KK less command of it. The Cotman resignation points to that. Forsythe was known to favor the ex-SCCA mafia in the office. But time will tell.
I think for champcar to move forward it must embrace all the innovation that once made it great. Right now all open wheel racing is just existing and getting by. There is no forward progress being made by anyone. Do you think the irl is any better?

I have friends in and around the irl and it is not a rosey picture. Sponsors are not lining up to jump in, indy or not. Penske is secure, agr is secure for now, ganassi leachs funding off the nascar operation to pay for the irl team, tony george foots the bill for 2 cars and everyone else is struggling. Hardly a picture of great success after all these years.

I think we need one owner and one leader. I gave Steve Johnson a chance, but I have never liked him. I don't like what he did at the SCCA, especially with rallying.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 22:23 (Ref:2109090)   #31
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Honda probably didn't demand anything but if AGR wanted honda's money they would take Mutoh and they did.
so you know for definate that Honda were offering AGR plenty of cash to put Mutoh in the car?

interesting you believe that without links but aren't willing to believe certain other stuff

if you are accurate though (and i'm not saying your not, just making an example) then you have a very valid point, which i agree with
Old 18 Jan 2008, 22:54 (Ref:2109107)   #32
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
so you know for definate that Honda were offering AGR plenty of cash to put Mutoh in the car?

interesting you believe that without links but aren't willing to believe certain other stuff

if you are accurate though (and i'm not saying your not, just making an example) then you have a very valid point, which i agree with
It was actually stated as such in various articles when the deal was announced but I really can't be bothered trolling though all that crap again when I can pick up my cell phone next to me and call the person who would know.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2109118)   #33
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
It was actually stated as such in various articles when the deal was announced but I really can't be bothered trolling though all that crap again when I can pick up my cell phone next to me and call the person who would know.

You have luke's phone number?

Actually, I think this was reported on Speed TV's website among others...Mutoh came up through Honda's system. They gave him the sponsorship necessary for AGR to go with the 4th car again this season.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 18 Jan 2008 at 23:12.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2109322)   #34
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
i don't understand a word of that
Probably because it makes sense and it's the truth.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 12:18 (Ref:2109323)   #35
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
.............indeed, time will tell

Champ Car teams get massive subsidies as was posted and linked in the IRL section somewhere the other day
Funny there is no link or evidence backing up your aligation. I wonder why?
Old 19 Jan 2008, 12:51 (Ref:2109342)   #36
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke

Just go to Speed's website and read Miller's article...

edited by p-c

Last edited by paul-collins; 19 Jan 2008 at 15:22.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 13:34 (Ref:2109373)   #37
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On topic, more on and from Matos:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/42575/
Old 19 Jan 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2109385)   #38
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
perhaps you should look again before you start agressively posting

you don't like it so why do you hand it out?
Old 19 Jan 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2109405)   #39
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
perhaps you should look again before you start agressively posting

you don't like it so why do you hand it out?
I'm not posting aggressively. This is is off topic. Is there a link to back up your allegation? No. It's simple.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2109412)   #40
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
I'm not posting aggressively. This is is off topic. Is there a link to back up your allegation? No. It's simple.
luke, read back to the first page of this topic, about half way down, it's simple!
Old 19 Jan 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2109414)   #41
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe you're right, luke. One of Miller's two commentaries says the teams haven't been paid their pittance of prize money yet from '07. Maybe they don't pay ANYTHING.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 16:28 (Ref:2109425)   #42
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
since when has the irl guys ever believed a thing robin miller wrote,now he is god to them
Old 19 Jan 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2109440)   #43
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr230772
since when has the irl guys ever believed a thing robin miller wrote,now he is god to them
Exactly this is what we have to put up with here sr...
Old 19 Jan 2008, 17:16 (Ref:2109445)   #44
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As someone who liks both series (just about!) I have never found much wrong with Millers stuff. I don't always agree, but he's generally on the money.

Over time he has criticised both series, generally he has been right
Old 19 Jan 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2109454)   #45
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
As someone who liks both series (just about!) I have never found much wrong with Millers stuff. I don't always agree, but he's generally on the money.

Over time he has criticised both series, generally he has been right

Amen to that.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 17:39 (Ref:2109456)   #46
indycool
Veteran

luke, I take "we" to mean everyone who agrees with you all the time?
Old 19 Jan 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2109461)   #47
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
luke, I take "we" to mean everyone who agrees with you all the time?
No, 'we' as in the non trolls in this forum.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 18:21 (Ref:2109473)   #48
indycool
Veteran

Oh. I wondered who was the judge of that.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 19:00 (Ref:2109482)   #49
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
While there are folks here who I rarely agree with, and some I most always agree with with a bunch somewhere in the middle, calling those I don't agree with "trolls" just doesn't make it.

harumph, etc.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2109484)   #50
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
While there are folks here who I rarely agree with, and some I most always agree with with a bunch somewhere in the middle, calling those I don't agree with "trolls" just doesn't make it.

harumph, etc.
It has nothing to do with agreeing or not. If you never say anything positive about CC and always post negative stuff and only that, ie bashing/trolling.