Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Nov 2008, 22:07 (Ref:2337955)   #1
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pau Historique 2009

Ok I know i have posted on Chimay 2009 and its looking unlikely for next year,thus Pau 2009, you can see I am organising my diary now!
I went to Pau last year and it was disappointing with only a couple of well subscribed races. Also I was not expecting to see Legends featuring heavily on the bill (the motor bike mini racers not the historic!)
I understand that for 2009 the event will be on May 23/24 and a new organiser will be in the chair plus the event will become bi annual. Just wondered what some of you in the know (like Delta/ Roger Wills) think of this relaunched event.

Last edited by The SpeCTator; 19 Nov 2008 at 22:16.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 23:48 (Ref:2338051)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
There is already a 09 Pau thread and most people have given there views including that +1000 Euro a race it will be very expesive.Seems that apart from pre 66 race the rest are single seaters but I have not bothered to check as will not be going,don't do street circuits
Old 20 Nov 2008, 07:48 (Ref:2338159)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
as someone who has done Pau in the old days when the old mayor was around I will not rush back. Its an expensive weekend
Old 20 Nov 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2338162)   #4
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I did Pau in 2008 instead of the Masters Brands festival the same weekend. Interestingly they clash again in 2009.

Its a great circuit and quite evocative racing around the streets. It was extremely wet and the place is very unforgiving. There are also very few passing opportunities.

Unfortunately the meeting was not well attended. The paddock lacked "feel" and many of the grids were down on numbers.

I believe in the past the organisers hosted a dinner with the local mayor who was quite a character in attendance and there was a sense of occasion. Not in 2008 unfortunately.

I'm sure with Patrick Peter and co running the show it will be a big improvement on 2008.

I've not decided what to do in 2009 yet. Let's see.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2338186)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Will let you know in Jan Spectator when all dates are sorted. Looks doubtfull.I hope in 2010 we can go back and race at Monaco one weekend then take a gentle drive up to Pau the following. I do hope someone see's sence and plans the two meetings that way.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 11:17 (Ref:2338245)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Pau date is set in 09 and the meeting will not take place in 10 when Monaco and LMC run.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 19:00 (Ref:2338459)   #7
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could always consider Porto Historic GP, SpeCTator. There are cheap flights to Porto, and the city has an excellent tram system. In '07 I went to help Delta, and flew in to Porto, got a tram to pretty much outside my hotel, walked the 15 minutes to the circuit, and enjoyed some fantastic fish meals in the Matosinhos area, where the (very inexpensive) hotel was located. The old town is well worth a visit, and the people were very friendly and accomodating. I'm not sure what date it is next year, but keep your eyes peeled...

Last edited by Alan Morgan; 20 Nov 2008 at 19:06.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2338464)   #8
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd really like to do Porto as well - looked like a great meeting in 2007.

BTW, dates in 2007 were 14/15 July.

It clashed with Chimay in '07 and we went there instead.

Porto is on my list for 2009.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 19:59 (Ref:2338486)   #9
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks everyone, am getting an early message about the cost of competing at Pau in 2009, the Porto event sounds like a good option, really fancy going somewhere new! I will keep watch for the dates.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 20:16 (Ref:2338494)   #10
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Porto is fantastic as well. Bring your swimming trunks.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2338556)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Think Porto has had chop but you better check.I seem to remember the first one wrecked a few cars and many gearboxes.We sent two cars,looked at the track and carnage put them back in Transporter then went for a long drink.3 days.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 07:15 (Ref:2338681)   #12
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Thats two lots of bad news in 24 hours.No Pau in 2010 and now no Porto.Have to see whats on at Lydden.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2338716)   #13
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
John, where did you hear about Porto? I understood dates were being confirmed but it was pencilled in for 10-12 July 2009.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 10:48 (Ref:2338756)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

I was told on Tour Espania but do not know if its incorrect gossip or true.Duncan Wiltshire will know.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2338895)   #15
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Just got the Pau entry today. Wow, it is expensive.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 14:27 (Ref:2338896)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
that's me definately out then!
Old 21 Nov 2008, 14:31 (Ref:2338901)   #17
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

See second post.Patrick Peter does many things well but he does not do cheap.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 14:33 (Ref:2338905)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

it keeps the riff raff like me out so I guess there is reason in his madness!
Old 21 Nov 2008, 14:36 (Ref:2338908)   #19
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Only money,The costs are magnified by the failure of Sterling.

He runs great events but they need to be.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 19:08 (Ref:2340332)   #20
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Just back from FJ AGM and Duncan was very upbeat about Pau. Saying entry fee will be around 1100 euros with a lot of hospitality and track time. There's hope yet the Delta truck could be finding its way down there again.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2340573)   #21
simon drabble
Veteran

how can Duncan be upbeat about a single seater race costing EUR 1100? I would have thought it unlikely that it will be more than 20 minutes abd against an HSCC race cost of about £160 (almost 1/6th of the cost) that looks very poor value indeed!! Hospitality should be gratis as it is not optional (alternatively should be added as an extra so you can choose whether you wish to recieve it).
Even if you guys get 2 races you are still effectively paying a £600 premium over the cost of 2 HSCC races for "hospitality" - well given Nobu and similar top London restaurants are tops £100 per head that sounds very poor value!! Oh of course you also have to get there!
Old 24 Nov 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2340575)   #22
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Morning Simon."
Old 24 Nov 2008, 08:18 (Ref:2340578)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

Morning!! Sorry to rant first thing on a Monday but that does sound ridiculous - more to the point what is the cost of the 1 hour races if the single seater races are EUR 1100 ....
Old 24 Nov 2008, 09:31 (Ref:2340616)   #24
pomracer
Racer

pomracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am bored with being told how great the hospitality is to justify a huge entry fee, hence losing interest with Masters. I can happily survive without the organisers providing food and drink for me during the day. Last time I went to Pau some of us got together and went shopping to make a great picnic lunch - fresh baguette,brie etc - in the paddock under the trees. After all, there you are in the middle of a town.
OK, I suppose it is nice perhaps to have something on offer if the circuit catering is grim, or non existent........may I suggest that Vanessa Marcais has got it about right when it comes to providing food:- nothing too fancy but fresh and good, and you only have it if you want to pay for it.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 09:56 (Ref:2340626)   #25
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomracer
may I suggest that Vanessa Marcais has got it about right when it comes to providing food:- nothing too fancy but fresh and good, and you only have it if you want to pay for it.
I've never been asked to pay, was always part of the entry as with Masters.