Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 May 2016, 06:42 (Ref:3639352)   #201
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some of the responses from within the v8sc to the Volvo withdrawal are naive, verging on comical.

That from Mark Skaife shows a guy caught in a bubble without being in touch with reality
Old 7 May 2016, 10:23 (Ref:3639382)   #202
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some of you may notice that some recent posts in this thread have been removed. In future stick to the topic and if you can't say anything constructive about the topic then.... don't post.

Oh, and the rules about giving other members abuse also applies to moderators and also applies to me. Tenths is run by volunteers and makes enough from advertising to stay running and not much more. So, while the moderators do get a load of stick about who should be banned, who shouldn't be banned, get abusive messages from users, there are times when people take it too far, or too far with exactly the wrong person.

If anyone has any legitimate complaints about how a forum or the site is run then please feel free to PM me directly. Hint: Multiple long and ultimately abusive diatribes about moderators abusing their power for editing a thread title are not legitimate.

Last edited by MagnetON; 7 May 2016 at 10:24. Reason: Damn autocorrect :(
Old 7 May 2016, 10:59 (Ref:3639393)   #203
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
In the humour stakes on this topic Mark Skaife opened his interview with Gary yesterday by wondering how Volvo could consider withdrawing after their success at Phillip Island.Does he genuinely think large corporations make long term strategic decisions based on a weekends race results?If so it explains why he was such a "successful" owner of HRT.
I thought that was very strange as well. If he wasn't just asking that on behalf of the punters, then he is very much out of touch indeed.

I work for large company (>250k people in >100 countries) in a hyper-competitive environment. I know how they work. Skaife never has, and perhaps it shows.
Old 7 May 2016, 11:02 (Ref:3639394)   #204
Langers
Veteran

Oh and as for those suggesting that GT3s are a possible 'replacement' for V8SC as Australia's top tier professional motorsport, you're out of your minds. Repair costs and difficulties alone would put paid to that.
Old 7 May 2016, 11:15 (Ref:3639396)   #205
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe GT3 is a suitable 'replacement' (although there are definitely some pointers to be taken from the success of the concept), but don't the GT3 cars have significantly lower running costs than a V8?
Old 8 May 2016, 01:34 (Ref:3639962)   #206
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
GRM Itching For A Fight With Volvo...

eek:
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 May 2016, 01:55 (Ref:3639963)   #207
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apart from wanting to appear tough - why would Garry Rogers want to keep racing with Volvo panels and badge without a Volvo engine or Volvo support?
Old 8 May 2016, 02:05 (Ref:3639965)   #208
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They just need Sweden's blessing to continue as usual, not their money.
Old 8 May 2016, 02:25 (Ref:3639969)   #209
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
They just need Sweden's blessing to continue as usual, not their money.
Unless V8 Supercars change the rules.
Old 8 May 2016, 02:46 (Ref:3639971)   #210
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That rule only states that the blessing needs to come from the local importer, however Volvo in Sweden has the final call on how VCA can utilise their marketing budget.
Old 8 May 2016, 02:59 (Ref:3639973)   #211
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So GRM was approached by another manufacturer, but turned them away to stay loyal to Volvo?

And that other manufacturer decided they'd only race under GRM's roof, and there wasn't another team in the whole field that would suit them? Right...
Old 8 May 2016, 03:28 (Ref:3639974)   #212
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
That rule only states that the blessing needs to come from the local importer, however Volvo in Sweden has the final call on how VCA can utilise their marketing budget.
So it would seem.

Could get a little ugly if GRM decide to fight.
Old 8 May 2016, 04:31 (Ref:3639982)   #213
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't see this ending well.
Old 8 May 2016, 05:28 (Ref:3639989)   #214
Beages
Rookie

Beages should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
So GRM was approached by another manufacturer, but turned them away to stay loyal to Volvo?

And that other manufacturer decided they'd only race under GRM's roof, and there wasn't another team in the whole field that would suit them? Right...
What if that "other" manufacture was Nissan?
Old 8 May 2016, 12:03 (Ref:3640085)   #215
Langers
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedrummer View Post
, but don't the GT3 cars have significantly lower running costs than a V8?
I am more than happy to be wrong, but I would be very surprised if the cost for an entire season were lower when driven like the current V8 crew drive (i.e. door to door, bumper to bumper etc).

E.g. a spare chassis involves buying an entire car or shell from the manufacturer or their racing arm/contractor, vs. 3 weeks in a fab shop knocking a few tubes together.
Old 8 May 2016, 12:18 (Ref:3640088)   #216
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
I am more than happy to be wrong, but I would be very surprised if the cost for an entire season were lower when driven like the current V8 crew drive (i.e. door to door, bumper to bumper etc).

E.g. a spare chassis involves buying an entire car or shell from the manufacturer or their racing arm/contractor, vs. 3 weeks in a fab shop knocking a few tubes together.
GT3 has economy of scale going for it, though. The more successful manufacturers like Audi, Lambo, Mercedes and Porsche all sold several dozen cars just over the last off-season.
Old 8 May 2016, 13:02 (Ref:3640101)   #217
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I can't see this ending well.
For Garry Rogers. I think he might need to take a deep breath, have a cup of tea and a good lie down and get a dose of reality as well. This is a multi national company and they have stated their position, maybe a more subtle approach might have more results than a gung ho one.
Old 8 May 2016, 23:26 (Ref:3640215)   #218
Langers
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
GT3 has economy of scale going for it, though. The more successful manufacturers like Audi, Lambo, Mercedes and Porsche all sold several dozen cars just over the last off-season.
Yes they did... For $600 -1000k AUD. The weak AUD doesn't help the GT3 business case
Old 8 May 2016, 23:50 (Ref:3640220)   #219
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
For Garry Rogers. I think he might need to take a deep breath, have a cup of tea and a good lie down and get a dose of reality as well. This is a multi national company and they have stated their position, maybe a more subtle approach might have more results than a gung ho one.
Yeah it appears Garry is talking to make noise here. There are quite a few involved on the GRM and V8SC front that arent actually living in reality at the moment.
Old 9 May 2016, 01:31 (Ref:3640233)   #220
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Yeah it appears Garry is talking to make noise here. There are quite a few involved on the GRM and V8SC front that arent actually living in reality at the moment.
Sounds more like a diversionary tactic actually, or indeed a push for public opinion to help sway the Volvo Sweden line.

And reality is actually whatever you make it...
Old 9 May 2016, 01:57 (Ref:3640234)   #221
D.R.T.
Veteran

What do you think the chances of a relatively small niche local public opinion swaying Volvo Sweden from its global corporate strategy GTR?
Old 9 May 2016, 02:08 (Ref:3640235)   #222
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
What do you think the chances of a relatively small niche local public opinion swaying Volvo Sweden from its global corporate strategy GTR?
Well it happened 3 years ago, so its possible
Old 9 May 2016, 22:50 (Ref:3640505)   #223
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post

Those components are on the cheap end of the scale for both cars. Things like brakes and other consumables would be much higher than a few body panels.

An Audi engineer told us the engine in the R8 was good for around 25,000km without requiring a rebuild. Add to that only the cams were different from a standard road car engine so nice and cheap compared to a $100,000+ Supercar engine.

As for requiring 3 weeks in a fab shop for a new shell I think you will find the shells will come 100% prepared. I don't think teams are allowed to build their own due to homologation rules.

I would be very very shocked to hear a V8 Supercar is cheaper to run than a GT3.
Old 9 May 2016, 23:27 (Ref:3640513)   #224
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by velly4 View Post
Those components are on the cheap end of the scale for both cars. Things like brakes and other consumables would be much higher than a few body panels.

An Audi engineer told us the engine in the R8 was good for around 25,000km without requiring a rebuild. Add to that only the cams were different from a standard road car engine so nice and cheap compared to a $100,000+ Supercar engine.

As for requiring 3 weeks in a fab shop for a new shell I think you will find the shells will come 100% prepared. I don't think teams are allowed to build their own due to homologation rules.

I would be very very shocked to hear a V8 Supercar is cheaper to run than a GT3.
V8 supercars are significantly cheaper to build that a GT3 Car, at almost half the price.

I note with the recent Emery Audi crash, the part are on a plane from germany. might be here by end of thr week
Old 9 May 2016, 23:40 (Ref:3640514)   #225
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by velly4 View Post

Mr Denyer was on RPM at the weekend quoting the price for a front bumper on his McLaren... no change out of $25,000...

Mr Edwards' Bentley for example got an evolution of sideskirts during its time here.. an eye watering $40,000 later.... plus the need for spares...

And that makes economic sense quite how?