Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Jul 2005, 14:38 (Ref:1359381)   #126
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
www.veloce.co.uk would be a place to start.

A massive queue appeared to have formed outside their door this morning.....but it proved to be a large school party going to the place next door but one!
Old 20 Jul 2005, 15:46 (Ref:1359426)   #127
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuauto
www.veloce.co.uk would be a place to start.

A massive queue appeared to have formed outside their door this morning.....but it proved to be a large school party going to the place next door but one!
Thanks,order placed.They seem to sell a lot of Sam's work?
Old 20 Jul 2005, 22:59 (Ref:1359724)   #128
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
They seem to sell a lot of Sam's work?
But may draw the line at a biography of Charlotte Church? ("Parc Ferme"-"Who turns you on"-page4)
Old 23 Jul 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1361580)   #129
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Book safely received this morning.A neat little volume with lots of previously unseen photos.Congrats Sam!
Old 24 Jul 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1362106)   #130
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rob - yes all my book stuff goes through them - if you liked Crystal Palace I'll let you into a secret - that book was an out take from Autodrome (which is due on the shelves any hour...) because I just dug out so much stuff on Crystal Palace...

Last book from me for a while though probably won't start another at least until the end of the season
Old 20 Feb 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1527158)   #131
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Looking for something else reminded me of a couple of things that do not seem to have been mentioned here or in either 'Palace book.
Around 1956 there was a plan to lengthen the circuit to 2.4 miles which involved a flyover with banked? curve a la Monza. It was part of the sports centre project-work started on that in 1960 but the circuit extension it seems was forgotten.
Around the mid 60s or a rare occasion when I arrived by car we were put in an overflow park the other side of the CP Parade-the site of the old High Level station I think.What I remember is a beautiful subway like something out of ancient Rome which took us under the Parade and into the circuit.I guess this was buit for access to the original glass palace,or did I dream it-does it still exist?
Old 20 Feb 2006, 17:29 (Ref:1527189)   #132
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Rob has resurrected this thread, another query.

My understanding is that the circuit re-opened in 1953. However, I have come across a record of a "Private Race" for 500cc Formula 3 cars on the 26th June 1952 (won by George Wicken in a Cooper, by the way). Can anyone shed any light on this?
Old 20 Feb 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1527223)   #133
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah subway is still there (still just as beautiful but abandoned) high level station site is now housing but thrail way and foot tunnels still remain.

. 2.4 mi extension - I knew nothing about - more info please.

Private race - no clue on that again - try RAP.

Damn stumped twice in two posts. Embarrasing.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 18:58 (Ref:1527247)   #134
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Re;extn.all I remember is a piece in Mag,most likely Autosport,with map.
Leaving then circuit at South Tower straight on to right hander,followed by parallel straight ,then right on to curve ending in flyover across existing track then loop rejoining just after South Tower.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1527266)   #135
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RE 52 "race" This was effectively a test-session organised to persuade the LCC that racing could resume. In particular I beleive officials wanted to assess the noise levels and the RAC wanted to see what needed to be done to the track. That, of course, is not to say that those involved didn't "have a go"...............

THE 56 EXTENSION. Yes this was quite a seroius proposal. Financial considerations killed the idea. The observation to the relavent LCC Committee was along the lines that only crowds of 100,000 could justify the investment and only the GP got those numbers and there was no chance of Crystal Palace securing it. Also, it would have wiped out most of the car parking.

Richard
Old 20 Feb 2006, 19:47 (Ref:1527280)   #136
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I went to the Coronation Trophy Meeting when the circuit re-opened in 1953. It was a great place to spectate at. I missed very few meeting up until the closure in 1973 and I still have the Autosport that carries the report on that meeting, incidentally the Coronation Trophy was won by Tony Rolt driving Rob Walkers F2 Connaught. The racing was usually very close as it provided a good balance between speed and agility as shown by that saloon car race everyone remembers. Despite it only being just another Formula 3 race, for 500cc cars, probably the best race I have ever seen was won by Reg Bicknell in a Revis quite comfortably but the scrap for second was absolutely frantic. Ivor Bueb, Mike Keen, Colin Davis and Reg Parker swapping places all around the track. In those days the finish was along the bottom straight and the swoop down from the glade to the flag was manic. Mike Keen snatched second but it was mighty close. At an early meeting a group of us lads from Barnet found that the more genteel Londoners did not take kindly to having us boys leaping to their feet when things got exciting as it blocked their view, as they remained seated. Eventually one chap threatened to 'Poke yor 'ead in.'
Happy days.

Should you ever get a chance to see a very old black and white film called 'Mask of Dust' starring (!) Richard Conte you can see a number of shots from the Palace dubbed into the racing sequences.

In those days a number of top class cycle races were run around the circuit and riders included the late great Tommy Simpson and several other top continental professional riders.
Finally in 1973 the British Cyclo Cross Association ran the Worlds Cyclo Cross Championships around the infield area and I was Treasurer for the event and was in charge of ticket sales and advertising. memories, memories!
Old 22 Feb 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1528876)   #137
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bauble can make mistakes for Reg Parker read Don Parker
Old 23 Feb 2006, 14:16 (Ref:1529871)   #138
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RAP, thanks for that. DO you by any chance have information on who attended the 'test session'?
Rich
Old 23 Feb 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1530073)   #139
RAP
Racer

Autosport 4 July 52 reported that a "test" was held on Thursday 26 June. "Amongst those present were George Wicken (Cooper) Harold Daniell (Emersyson) Les Leston (Cooper) and Mike Hawthorn (Cooper Bristol). Unfortunatly during the test Ken Carter was injured when he crashed in his Cooper"

It seems that it was the pre-war 2 mile course that was used and it seems likely that it was this test that led to the shortening to the post-war 1.39 miles.
Richard
Old 27 Feb 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1532598)   #140
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bought the SS Collins book @ Motor Books in WC2 on Saturday, as well as the other simialr books on Brands and Goodwood. Absolutely great. Crytstal Palace one was very good. Was entered to compete in the Sevenoaks Sprint in my semi-spaceframe Imp, featured in the book, but broke my foot the previous week. Was really gutted not to ba able to compete! Crystal Palace used to be part of my manor, when I worked for the Council as a surveyor! A wander around there on a summer's day, @ lunchtime brought back evocative memories of the place. Wish Bromley Council would see sense and resurect it as a race circuit, trouble is, the cyclists and environmentalists run the Coucil and won't see the bigger picture, e.g .tourism, money brought into the area etc. I felt that 7Oaks got shafted by the Council. They paid for the re-surfacing etc, all for one year?! Let it be said that Andy Elcomb abd Co did a good job, as usual!
Old 28 Feb 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1533493)   #141
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
pleased you liked it
Old 11 Dec 2006, 15:43 (Ref:1788087)   #142
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
thought I'd bring this back up - mainly in a thinly vieled attempt to boost book sales in the run up to christmas, but also to point out the link in TRC magazine to a rather marvellous video clip. Which is discussed here.

Touring the London Motorsport Show made me think that what could really boost that event is a sprint being run at the same time as the show. Maybe Crystal Palace is a little far away but is there space within excel?
Old 11 Dec 2006, 17:29 (Ref:1788144)   #143
RAP
Racer

It might be of interest to some that my book referred to in previous posts, "A Record of Motor Racing at Crystal Palace" is now published. This is a very detailed 2 volume 660 page record covering 1899 to 2000, including motor cycles. All car races on the road course are fully detailed with entry, grid, results and many chassis numbers. It therefore complements Sam's largely pictorial book. Although not cheap at £200, Marcus Pye commented favourably in Autosport recently. Details from www.formulaoneregister.com
RAP
Old 11 Dec 2006, 21:37 (Ref:1788352)   #144
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've not seen RAP's book as yet but knowing about it I suggest that if you have a spare £200 you could do a lot worse than buying it!
Old 13 Dec 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1789805)   #145
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Anyone seen MN this morning?
Old 13 Dec 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1789935)   #146
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Bizarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Anyone seen MN this morning?
I find it weird to be sat reading an article about the "Brish Sprint Association" taking the British Sprint Championship to Crystal Palace when that is the first that I have heard of it!

I am sure if invited the BMSA, that's British Motor Sprint Association, will observe the first sprint that they run and assuming that:

(a) the track is suitable,
(b) the MSA issue the appropriate track license,
(c) the organisers can accomodate the championship format,
and finally,
(d) that a mutually acceptable date for the event can be agreed,

..... then I forsee no problem with the SBD Motorsport British Sprint Championship going to the capital.

Old 13 Dec 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1790100)   #147
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Steve - can I please point out that is a misquote on MN's side - at no point did I say BSA are taking their championship to CP! Will probably explain why you don't know anything about it...

The intention is for Sevenoaks & District Motor Club to run an event from 2008, as per the previous sprints we have successfully run.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 12:35 (Ref:1790585)   #148
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Point taken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Steve - can I please point out that is a misquote on MN's side - at no point did I say BSA are taking their championship to CP! Will probably explain why you don't know anything about it...

The intention is for Sevenoaks & District Motor Club to run an event from 2008, as per the previous sprints we have successfully run.
Can you please advise Paul Parker as soon as the date is fixed so that we can arrange to visit the event and check out the venue. We would be delighted to get Crystal Palace into our championship however as I said in my earlier post there are certain points that need to be cleared.

Old 14 Dec 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1790726)   #149
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
I'll make sure she does
Old 15 Dec 2006, 11:45 (Ref:1791321)   #150
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
But isn't Crystal Palace a nice place for a motorsport event, if you are thinking about doing it what would your ideal car be?

I'm thinking the (annoyingly non MSA legal) Oxford Brookes built ISIS FS car or perhaps something alternative fuel related.

Dream palace car? Romulus!