Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 7 Jul 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3103093)   #501
The Eye
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
The Eye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GRC v ERC

You wrote :Anyway, enjoy Holjes and we will enjoy X Games. One is a brillant event in the middle of woods with 26k people on a real rallycross circuit and small TV audience. One is in the downtown core of America's third largest city on a makeshift rallycross track in front of 4 million people. One event has two world Champions.....
But' one in hospital!!!

And I Ad
Old 9 Jul 2012, 09:46 (Ref:3104086)   #502
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great to read some good news from the Gronholm team:

http://erc24.com/2012/07/marcus-gronholm-2-updated/

Discharged from hospital and reportedly on the road to recovery.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 04:57 (Ref:3104443)   #503
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After waiting a week on something official or even rumors...
GRC championship is kind of a joke right now, isn't it?
Pastrana was robbed of a chance to score points during the Xgames because of different rules. ESPN ruled he couldn't run his teammate's car while under GRC rules that is perfectly possible (2.7.2). And while the Xgame result counts for the championship.... http://www.global-rallycross.com/201...hip-standings/
In GRC the lowest score is dropped (2.9.11)
I expected batteling lawyers challenging these conflicting rules. But so far nobody thinks this is a rather silly way to loose a championship?
Old 11 Jul 2012, 22:47 (Ref:3105386)   #504
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
so, i see the gap jump is still there for NHMS....
Old 12 Jul 2012, 08:30 (Ref:3105466)   #505
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
so, i see the gap jump is still there for NHMS....
Now with added safety fix...

Old 12 Jul 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3105517)   #506
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!

What was wrong with the table top? It still looked spectacular.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 11:01 (Ref:3105524)   #507
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post

What was wrong with the table top? It still looked spectacular.
Agreed, the cars were still jumping and it allowed the racing to carry on for cars that had sustained damage and/or punctures.

Just need to build a "tunnel" underneath it so that the jump structure could form part of a joker section.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 17:17 (Ref:3105671)   #508
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Excuse the double post, but just read this on ERC24...

http://erc24.com/2012/07/the-big-carhoona-rules/

...and a few lines jumped out at me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERC24
...the drivers of the Swedish OMSE team (Foust, Eriksson testing for Deegan and Binks), of Scott-Eklund Racing (Scott and Hübinette) as well as Ken Block refused to jump their cars today.
And:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERC24
During the ‘Drivers Briefing’ gathering Ken Block spoke for the competitors and claimed that the landing ramp needs to be higher than the jumping ramp and that the gap needs to be shorter than suggested. “We all need to work together to make GRC a success,” said the Ford campaigner.
Interesting that Block is the voice of contention for the jump. Can't be good for GRC to have a division amongst the ranks either. Statement of the obvious, but this is a situation they need to rectify sooner rather than later.

Aside from that, good to see a second GRC event involving dirt!
Old 12 Jul 2012, 17:22 (Ref:3105672)   #509
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesnt look like the GRC has learnt any lessons from its X-games debacle looking at that picture, and reading ERC24 it seems quite a few of the small entry felt the same, refusing to take the jump in todays practice, but yes at least some dirt!
Old 12 Jul 2012, 17:22 (Ref:3105673)   #510
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Now with added safety fix...

Sigh... I don't see that working. I know tires are great for absorbing impacts but I don't see them holding a flying car back.

Plus it's worrying that there might be a split between the drivers over the jump gap.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 18:15 (Ref:3105700)   #511
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 19:22 (Ref:3105721)   #512
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.
i'm fairly certain you have seen things more ridiculous in your lifetime.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 21:25 (Ref:3105773)   #513
sashchris
Rookie

England
newton aycliffe
sashchris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do the people running the GRC really not realise how close they came to a possible tragedy at x games and not understand how inexcusable it was to put drivers in such a position, having put two competitors in hospital already are they really thinking well lets just push our luck a bit more !
I can't understand for one how they can possibly be comfortable doing it and two in terms of safety regulations (lack of) how they get away with it.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 21:34 (Ref:3105779)   #514
Simon Slapstick
Rookie

Simon Slapstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like the gap jump is also the crossover point... Is that new?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNqeqKGCuv8&hd=1
Old 12 Jul 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3105820)   #515
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Really, truthfully, as many have already passed comment on, to go with this as a stop gap really does amaze me.

Two guys were seriously hurt, a lot of damage has been done to cars, and what do you get as an attempt, a load of tyres that if you hit them will just bounce the car away or even worse bounce it higher in the air!

Really, most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Would have been bad as a first attempt, but now. Sorry
Old 13 Jul 2012, 07:47 (Ref:3105917)   #516
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Slapstick View Post
Looks like the gap jump is also the crossover point... Is that new?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNqeqKGCuv8&hd=1
You mean cars passing under the jump? Nope, thats not new. With the exception of the X-Games event in 2010 (XG16) and 2012 (XG18), plus the first round of the GRC this year (where there was no big jump), I believe every other GRC and 2 car X-Games rally event thus far has included a crossover jump of some sort.

Looking at the video though, it looks like the cars on the ground are driving towards the launch ramp for those jumping? Pretty sure that is a first as all the previous crossover jumps have had the jumping cars and those on the ground perpendicular to each other.

I await correction on my facts above now.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 08:08 (Ref:3105925)   #517
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
wonder whats gonna happen when one of those cars screws up on the little yump before the crossover and hits the takeoff ramp...
Old 13 Jul 2012, 10:01 (Ref:3105961)   #518
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed Matt.
That just looks plain wrong. Nothing to do with other sentiments about GRC being rallycross or anything. That little jump will cause trouble during racing.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3106053)   #519
Simon Slapstick
Rookie

Simon Slapstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You mean cars passing under the jump? Nope, thats not new. With the exception of the X-Games event in 2010 (XG16) and 2012 (XG18), plus the first round of the GRC this year (where there was no big jump), I believe every other GRC and 2 car X-Games rally event thus far has included a crossover jump of some sort.

Looking at the video though, it looks like the cars on the ground are driving towards the launch ramp for those jumping? Pretty sure that is a first as all the previous crossover jumps have had the jumping cars and those on the ground perpendicular to each other.

I await correction on my facts above now.
Oh ok, up til recently I've only been a casual viewer of the GRC, wasn't sure how they'd run it in the past. Thanks.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 15:00 (Ref:3106058)   #520
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Excuse the double post, but just read this on ERC24...

http://erc24.com/2012/07/the-big-carhoona-rules/

...and a few lines jumped out at me:
ERC24 have removed this page....
Old 13 Jul 2012, 15:48 (Ref:3106065)   #521
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Slapstick View Post
Oh ok, up til recently I've only been a casual viewer of the GRC, wasn't sure how they'd run it in the past. Thanks.
No worries! I believe the first use of a car crossover jump in a rally type event was X-Games 13 (2007)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlu30OSGyd0

...back when X-Games was running with a 2 car rally "special stage" type format.

The first time a crossover was used in rallycross was the first round of the GRC in 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-cCpjdo7eQ

However most of the chaps on here have been following motorsport a lot longer then me, so they may know of one prior to the above.

Quote:
ERC24 have removed this page....
Can't imagine drivers not willing to race the full track is a great advert for the series, so I'm not surprised. Hopefully they can sort it out as I still want to see where the GRC goes.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 16:17 (Ref:3106069)   #522
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
So we don't have to take ERC24 and GRC serious anymore? It was not an 'explosive' article so I don't see a reason to remove it.
Maybe Eddi can explain the reason?
Old 13 Jul 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3106071)   #523
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
So we don't have to take ERC24 and GRC serious anymore? It was not an 'explosive' article so I don't see a reason to remove it.
True, it wasn't "explosive", but obviously it isn't the sort of press a fledging race series wants.

Perhaps ERC24 felt like giving the GRC a break.
Old 14 Jul 2012, 11:05 (Ref:3106304)   #524
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a server change for ERC24 and the latest two News had gone lost, lads. That GRC story was 100% revived last night. The Austrian retro story is more difficult to find back. So don't worry, be happy!
Old 14 Jul 2012, 12:00 (Ref:3106316)   #525
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
Just a server change for ERC24 and the latest two News had gone lost, lads. That GRC story was 100% revived last night. The Austrian retro story is more difficult to find back. So don't worry, be happy!
Server change! That's good Eddi last couple of events website has gone down very frustrating waiting on our Lads reports.. Back to first for news