Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 18 Jan 2012, 19:03 (Ref:3013679)   #151
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, I noticed that the Motors TV coverage had been carried the "ERX" tag last year but, as you point out, I'd assumed it was because the European Rally Championship was been shown on that channel.

Speaking of Racing Action (and I apologise for this being off topic), but whose decision is it to produce season review DVD's?

Do the powers that be behind the ERC have to sanction Rally Action (or someone else) to produce them or is it something that Rally Action do on their own accord?
Old 18 Jan 2012, 19:05 (Ref:3013682)   #152
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I assume ERC is hiring Coureyn so I name that the official coverage.
CC has an agreement with ERA (the association of most of the ERC round organisers), not with the ERC (under FIA auspices).
Old 18 Jan 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3013703)   #153
rallyloverke
Racer

rallyloverke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After all the ERX ERC EGRC ... stuff

We also see the name "RallyRacing" instead of Rallycross in a country
Old 18 Jan 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3013706)   #154
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Never understood that.
Okay maybe it's a better name but if everybody else is using 'rallycross' it makes no sense.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 20:23 (Ref:3013736)   #155
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyloverke View Post
After all the ERX ERC EGRC ... stuff

We also see the name "RallyRacing" instead of Rallycross in a country
That is, at least for some countries, the best name possible to discribe what RX is all about and to get rid of the missleading "cross". I recommended the name RallyRacing already 30+ years ago in my reports. A couple of years ago the proposal went via the FIA Off-Road Commission as far as to the FIA World Council, the final step. But they refused to give permission to change the name.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3013739)   #156
rallyloverke
Racer

Eddi , what was their point to refuse that?
Old 18 Jan 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3013748)   #157
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Their question was: For what reason should a 30+ year old name be changed?

And nobody was able then to tell them why. Simply unprepared for such a question…
Old 19 Jan 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3014058)   #158
rallyloverke
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
(Very) good things come to those who wait.......had thought it would be a couple of weeks ago but there are always details. Inside scoop is very exciting and GRC hope to announce something this week.

All planning towards April 15......
One week almost passed again without any further details ? We are waiting
Old 20 Jan 2012, 23:39 (Ref:3014777)   #159
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am still not keen about the GRC at the moment, because I still believe this will kill the ERC in the end... Not as their intention, but because entry-levels of Div 1 stars will be to low in Europe...

I can't blame the American's, they have proven to be much better in social media and gaining attention and let's face it America is fascinating country, I've been there 3 times (West coast / Las Vegas / Phoenix + East coast / New York / Washington / Boston / Chicago) and would want to live there if I could!
Old 27 Jan 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3017668)   #160
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any news yet USRallycross? I'd like to know when the MSE plans for 2012 will be annouced!
Old 27 Jan 2012, 12:07 (Ref:3017743)   #161
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had hoped for a formal GRC announcement yesterday but one of the venues just changes to a much bigger and better place. All the events are now incredible. There are still a lot of dots to join up for the teams but the outcome is worth the delay.

Best Buy will announce its plans on April 5th with a launch at our Corporate Campus in Minneapolis. This event will be available in the UK over Livestream. We have another unique way to engage with the team but don't want to tell anyone about that yet!

I am not sure when OMSE will announce their plans. Assume you are most interested in Tanners plans - pretty sure he has renewed his passport!

One thing I have learnt these past six months is how much work goes into running the business side of a race team! Pulling together business partners, activation plans, fan engagement models, merchandise, travel and so on. The team doesn't receive sponsorship from Best Buy so I have to sell in to different business units with a clear ROI - there is no silver spoon here. Interesting side of life......

Mark
Old 27 Jan 2012, 13:29 (Ref:3017784)   #162
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
I am not sure when OMSE will announce their plans. Assume you are most interested in Tanners plans
Tanner, David, Marcus and MSE in general!

The Mk.7 Fez is my fave of the modern rallycross cars, so I'd like to know if I'm going to get a chance to see it in action this year!
Old 27 Jan 2012, 14:17 (Ref:3017802)   #163
rallyloverke
Racer

Announcement will be a bit to late to plan our holiday to America to be able to visit an event i'm afraid.

Never mind, it's about television and not about the local public/fans anymore i guess.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3017829)   #164
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Sorry you won't be able to make an event but there will be more fans in attendance than ever before.

I can't speak for others but let's say Marcus isn't the most secretive person so you can guess where he will be in 2012! Think you will see some Fiesta's in Europe this year. Remember there is an "O" in OMSE - Olsbergs dont get enough credit for what they done for MSE's rallycross program and are a great owner to work with.

By my last count we are at around 20 "real" ERC A Final spec cars signed up for the GRC - and now enough top talent drivers to be on par with the ERC events. Then we should have a fair few other non-rally cars to complete the field (like the Subaru GD's we saw last year).

Mark
Old 27 Jan 2012, 15:22 (Ref:3017832)   #165
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross
I can't speak for others but let's say Marcus isn't the most secretive person so you can guess where he will be in 2012! Think you will see some Fiesta's in Europe this year.
Hopefully "in Europe" includes the UK.

I've seen some translated articles on Gronholm indicating that he will be doing rallycross in 2012, just not saying where yet!
Old 29 Jan 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3018492)   #166
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are the dates the same as previously posted?
Old 30 Jan 2012, 17:20 (Ref:3019000)   #167
USRallycross
Racer

United States
No, there have been some date changes. The first event however is still April 15 and obviously X Games hasn't changed.

Mark
Old 1 Feb 2012, 17:42 (Ref:3019897)   #168
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
How about the GT-R-engined Juke?
Old 6 Feb 2012, 20:10 (Ref:3022326)   #169
USRallycross
Racer

United States
It is now official! GRC will support NASCAR Sprint Cup and IndyCar. Huge opportunity for the sport. More soon but this is BIG!

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2012/02/06/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/Global-RallyCross.aspx

Mark
Old 6 Feb 2012, 21:41 (Ref:3022371)   #170
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Drink

Just saw the link on Facebook and was about to post it here... beaten to it! Good to see some definate news emerging at last.
Old 6 Feb 2012, 21:48 (Ref:3022378)   #171
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seeya Sverre

Oh dear, what a shame
Old 6 Feb 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3022389)   #172
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Seeya Sverre
He's still indecisive... isn't he?

Thinking about it I guess the NASCAR association will be great for PR, but I guess we can rule out more quirky layouts like Twin Peaks last year?

Best Buy are promising some definate news this week as well (on Facebook), so hopefully get a clue as to what they and OMSE are doing in 2012.
Old 6 Feb 2012, 22:45 (Ref:3022414)   #173
USRallycross
Racer

United States
I think the tracks will be interesting. Most of the NASCAR events while running on the same day as the Nationwide Series are on Sprint Cup weekends and that means a lot of haulers and fans - and not much room in the infield. However, the races are supposed to happen inside the oval so will immediately set records for fans at a rallycross event (!).

I met with Mike Helton (President of NASCAR) a couple of times last year and while this is with SMI it does bring the sport to a larger audience and will likely bring in Toyota and Chevrolet.

I believe the full GRC press release comes out tomorrow or Wednesday. Our release will follow shortly thereafter.

Mark
Old 7 Feb 2012, 15:58 (Ref:3022700)   #174
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has to be good from a PR perspective but I would be a little concerned that NASCAR spectators will see it as little more than a sideshow assuming they will be able to get a good close view of it. Will they use the oval part at all or just the infield?

I can understand Sverre wanting a new challenge though as far as strength in depth is concerned, at the moment to me that's like Man United deciding to play in the scottish premier because they've won all they can in england! At least he shouldn't have to worry about having to carry ballast
Old 7 Feb 2012, 16:29 (Ref:3022708)   #175
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Not sure that Scottish Premier League is a fair comparison. When the field is announced I think you will find that many A Finalists from Europe will be running in the GRC then add in Pastrana, Block etc and the field is very strong - and very different to last year.

You now have Sverre, Tanner, Liam and Frode - 4 A Finalists; then add in Gronholm and the ones who are yet to announce. Pastrana is fast in anything and Andy made an A Final last year and is no slouch. Starting to get strength in depth.

Running with Nationwide on the Saturday will ensure that there is a GRC demographic on-site and will educate the NASCAR crowd. Racing is racing after all - plus you are now talking 1M+ TV audience for each round. ROI looks even better for sponsors and teams.

Mark