Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jul 2004, 19:41 (Ref:1029548)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Apalling Silverstone GP support package...

Can I just say that I think the support race package is absolutely terrible yet again.
Each year we only have about 3 or 4 races on the Sunday.
Why so few?
Don't they have about 8 support races at the Australian GP?
I find it hard to believe that no series wants to compete...
Old 7 Jul 2004, 19:53 (Ref:1029552)   #2
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very true, it's an abysmal package. We'll just be watching track inspections all 3 days!

We need F3 and BTCC back on it.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 19:58 (Ref:1029558)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
To be fair the BTCC was supposed to be there this year but some of the teams decided they should use it as some sort of bargaining chip in a political battle with the series organisers. Which was pretty damn pathetic it has to be said...

But I do agree that there should be far more support races. However a lot of this comes down to Bernie and his refusal to let these series bring their usual TV coverage to the meeting...
Old 7 Jul 2004, 21:59 (Ref:1029661)   #4
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the San Marino GP the only races were F1, F3000 and Porsche Supercup. The European GP had F1, F3000, Supercup and Formula BMW.

Bear in mind that F3000 ran on Saturday which led to next to nothing in San Marino on Sunday.

Bernie needs to get something sorted out otherwise were be sitting around for longer periods of time doing nothing.

Alex
Old 7 Jul 2004, 22:13 (Ref:1029675)   #5
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about some clubbie series put on fr entertainment - after all isn't that what its all about?

I suggest Stock Hatch, Vee and Some Minis
Old 7 Jul 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1029679)   #6
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With some of the teams now running 3 cars on Fridays they have test drivers at the circuit and after qual the race cars are locked away, so what happens to the 3rd cars?

Why don't they let these younger drivers have a race on the Sunday morning say over 20 laps?
Old 7 Jul 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1029681)   #7
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
How about some clubbie series put on fr entertainment - after all isn't that what its all about?

I suggest Stock Hatch, Vee and Some Minis
Don't be silly Sam, you can't have the support races being better than the "main show"

And you would confuse everyone with the overtaking stuff - F1 don't DO overtaking!
Old 7 Jul 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1029683)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Thats true Craig, however as far as I know the Thoroughbred Sportscars have replaced the BTCC, so we still would have only had 4 races on the Sunday even if the BTCC was taking part.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 00:31 (Ref:1029751)   #9
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Indy the support races were Formula BMW and Porsche.
In a way this was good, it provides an opportunity to grab a hot dog and drink, make your way to other parts of the track for next F1 session without missing anything worth watching.
Could be Silverstone has the same idea.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 11:33 (Ref:1030104)   #10
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Apalling Silverstone GP support package...

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
Can I just say that I think the support race package is absolutely terrible yet again.
Why so few?
It's F1. F1 is "special" - for which read it's a spoilt brat that doesn't want to see anyone wearing a nicer frock to the party, and it'll chuck its toys out of the pram at any opportunity.

The fact that almost any British clubbie series will give the punters a better race than the overhyped tedium of F1 is entirely relevant - F1 support series are carefully selected for their resemblance to paint drying. They have to make the "main event" look good, and God knows that's difficult.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 11:47 (Ref:1030113)   #11
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so you would have a third minardi, third jordan, third jag, third toyota, third BAR, third sauber truging around for 20 laps.. davidson would win the race hands down in the BAR.
maybe they could do a 3 lap.. sprint race... with the minardi on the front row, and the bar at the back.. (depending on the running order from the friday practice)..
that way you would see a BAR driver try to overtake 5 cars in the space of 3 laps... now that would be impressive !
Old 8 Jul 2004, 12:23 (Ref:1030169)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheila M

And you would confuse everyone with the overtaking stuff - F1 don't DO overtaking!
Try watching the Silverstone races from 2002 and 2003, they have been the best 2 races of the last 3 seasons. Hopefully we will have another race like it this year.

Must restrain Mr Green this year, leave the nutter out there a little longer
Old 8 Jul 2004, 15:14 (Ref:1030355)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
With some of the teams now running 3 cars on Fridays they have test drivers at the circuit and after qual the race cars are locked away, so what happens to the 3rd cars?

Why don't they let these younger drivers have a race on the Sunday morning say over 20 laps?
Interesting idea. Perhaps they could take it further and include all 10 teams, starting in reveerse championship position order on the grid - maybe even offering bonus Constructors' Championship points to the top 3 finishers. Obviously this is relevant on a wider level than just Silverstone, but it's an idea.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 15:51 (Ref:1030382)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Since when has F1 given a damn about giving the fans value for money, and above all a little entertainment!

Last edited by JAG; 8 Jul 2004 at 15:52.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 16:05 (Ref:1030390)   #15
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a FF1600 race just to remind the fans what real racing is about ie overtaking on track and not in the pitlane.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 23:00 (Ref:1030764)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Doh! You're missing the point. The reason the fans are there is to give more money to Bernie. Better I say to go to 10 clubbies for the same price and see what a race meeting looks like.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 23:33 (Ref:1030789)   #17
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jminsh
How about a FF1600 race just to remind the fans what real racing is about ie overtaking on track and not in the pitlane.
Didn't they try that at Donington in 1993 and then red flagged it because Bernie wanted 'the noise turning off' during his F1 drivers briefing.

Leave GPs for the inbreds that believe F1 is the be all and end all, because the media say it is and sod a support programme. Most only want to watch the F1s anyway and spend the rest of their time buying memorabilia and replica team clothing, not bothering to watch the supports. They probably would have watched the Touring Cars though, because they are on telly as well.
When they aren't at Sillystone, they would be found at other places like Henman Hill, or Old Trafford, or the Grand National.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 00:07 (Ref:1030818)   #18
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by diz
When they aren't at Sillystone, they would be found at other places like Henman Hill, or Old Trafford, or the Grand National.

Definitely see these folks at F1, not just corporate daytrippers sipping wine in hospitality marquees either.
Dads playing footie with their kids, people drinking around BBQs, paying no attention to the action on track at all.
It's just somewhere to be seen and be able to say you were next day in the office.
Happens a whole lot less at Moto GP, methinks Silverstone should drop it's ticket prices then maybe more pukka race fans would go ?
Old 10 Jul 2004, 01:09 (Ref:1031837)   #19
BJAY
Racer

Australia
Canberra, Australia
BJAY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Apalling Silverstone GP support package...

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
Why so few?
At the Australian GP this year the supports were:

V8 Supercars
Carrera Cup
BMW Celebrity Race
Formula Ford
Historic Touring Cars
Go Karts
Historic Racing Cars Parade Laps

BJ

Last edited by BJAY; 10 Jul 2004 at 01:11.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 10:55 (Ref:1032110)   #20
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By way of comparision,
the British GP in 1986 at brands Hatch featured.
Fri:
x2 practice for F1
F3 Qualifying
Thundersports Qualifying
FF1600 Qualifying
Historic GT Qualifying
Sat:
x2 Fi Practice
FF1600 race (40+ cars entered!)
Thundersports Qualifying
Saloons Qualifying
Historic GT race
F3 Qualifying
Sunday:
F3 Race
XR3i Race
GP
Thundersports
RAC Saloons

1977 GP of Britian & Europe at Silverstone,
Wed (!)
PQ for F1 x 2
Practice for F3
Thursday:
Saloon car Qualifying
F1 Qualifying
F3 Qualifying Heats one & two 80+ cars entered this invernational race
Friday:
Saloon car Qualifying
F1 Qualifying x2
F3 Qualifying followed by the two race heats (rcae one won by G Brabham race to by Ian Grob)
Historic Qualifying
Sat:
F3 Final won by Anders Olofsson
Saloon car race
GP
Historic car race.

However the British GP 1971 at silverstone only had 3 races over 2 days
F3 again split into 2 heats (Friday) and final (Sunday).
F1
Touring cars won by Brian Muir in a camero form the ovaltine camero of Martin Thomas (10th was Peter Baldwin in a mini)
Old 10 Jul 2004, 11:33 (Ref:1032162)   #21
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Nordic, was there a Holden Commodore in the Thundersports race in '86, probably with a Opel or Vauxhall badge on it?

Generally the six support categories at the AGP will get four turns on the track, in some cases five. I still dont recon its enough.

Do they still have the TVR series in the Old Dart? That would have enough action to keep the fans happy, without upstaging the F1 (Yawn) "Show"
Old 10 Jul 2004, 12:09 (Ref:1032200)   #22
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rdmdog,
No Commodore appears in the entry list for the thundersports race, this race was a two driver 24 lap race for group6/7 Sportscars and s2000 cars.

Are you thinking of the thundersaloon series? I don't think they ever supported a GP

The TVR's would make a great support race, but the amount of a) damage to the amco and b) oil dropped would cause BsE to have a hissy fit.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1032505)   #23
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah yes, I can only remember the "Thunder" part.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 21:04 (Ref:1033436)   #24
Williamp
Racer

Williamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gringottsdirect
Definitely see these folks at F1, not just corporate daytrippers sipping wine in hospitality marquees either.
Dads playing footie with their kids, people drinking around BBQs, paying no attention to the action on track at all.
It's just somewhere to be seen and be able to say you were next day in the office.
Happens a whole lot less at Moto GP, methinks Silverstone should drop it's ticket prices then maybe more pukka race fans would go ?
But didnt they say that Silverstone this year was a sell-out? If that was the case, why do they need to drop the prices, and where would the "real" race fans fit?

I dint go, far too expensive for what it is. I am seriously thinking about Spa, however...
Old 11 Jul 2004, 21:20 (Ref:1033446)   #25
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, after returning from Silverstone a few hours ago, I can tell you that I fell asleep during the Maserati race. Admittedly I was knackered anyway, but who wants to watch 20-odd gentlemen drivers driving round slower than the safety car and medical car?! Even the big Jag 'fire vehicle' was catching the Maseratis up on the 1st lap!

They might as well bring back the one-off GP driver's bicycle race!

Taku would win