Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Who will replace Bairdo in the main series seat at TKR in 2005?
Andy Booth 1 1.23%
Fabian Coulthard 11 13.58%
John McIntyre 2 2.47%
Alan Gurr 14 17.28%
Matt Halliday 2 2.47%
Andrew Jones 1 1.23%
Mark Porter 20 24.69%
Paul Radisich 19 23.46%
Jason Richards 1 1.23%
Simon Wills 2 2.47%
Alex Yoong 4 4.94%
Anybody else? 4 4.94%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Oct 2004, 09:54 (Ref:1120915)   #76
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All

GTR - Since we only got TV coverage over here in New Zealand on Sunday, we didn't see any of the practice/qualifying incidents

Good on TKR for getting back out on the track and keeping that 100% finishing record intact

Last edited by Tracy; 11 Oct 2004 at 09:56.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 10:22 (Ref:1120918)   #77
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah... sorry about that then Tracy

It was a pretty hard hit unfortunately...

The intended race engine had problems, while the spare (race engine at Sandown) had been freshened with the usual stuff (valve springs etc) but in the rush to execute the change, the exhaust had some alignment issues, and the car eventually lost power
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Oct 2004, 19:29 (Ref:1121373)   #78
105octane
Veteran

105octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets get back to the post guys.Whos got the job, Gurr????

Last edited by 105octane; 11 Oct 2004 at 19:31.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 20:01 (Ref:1121420)   #79
resisturban
Racer

resisturban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as Mr Morris doesnt have a say in it!
Old 11 Oct 2004, 20:51 (Ref:1121494)   #80
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Team Kiwi should be making an announcement before Indy apparently
Old 11 Oct 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1121586)   #81
105octane
Veteran

Heard on the weekend at the mount Gurr had got it GTR?????
Wouldnt of thought that would go down to well in NZ.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 23:26 (Ref:1121662)   #82
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 105octane
Heard on the weekend at the mount Gurr had got it GTR?????
Wouldnt of thought that would go down to well in NZ.
Hi All

Why is that 105octane?

I don't care what nationality the driver is as long as he can get the car up near the front of the grid There is more to a team than just the driver.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 23:41 (Ref:1121668)   #83
105octane
Veteran

Maybe you dont Tracy but i bet there are more than a few that do.
The team was started with a kiwi flavour in mind hence the name.
It hasnt been announced yet so lets not get to carried away.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 00:00 (Ref:1121676)   #84
BAZzzzz c
Veteran

United Kingdom
AUCKLAND
BAZzzzz c has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yup, Much as I love the concept of an all kiwi Team staying with a kiwi driver, sad fact is that there is a limited pool to choose from, Just when we get a Driver on side and on the pace,they up and leave this mighty Team for their own pursuit of glory. Some have done well, some have shot themselves in the foot (if a Supercar drive was part of the foot) but ALL have been schooled and coached and been supplied with the 'tools' to further their careers BY Team Kiwi. Sadly, and just when we were on the money, Bairdo drops HIS bombshell. We have used Kiwi talent right from the word go and have ended up with NO NZ V8 car this year (and good good luck to Nick Ross this Season) and NO Driver for next years Aust. V8 campaign (as yet) SO, tell me again just WHY we need to appoint ANOTHER Kiwi Driver to the exclusion of all others?? I forget......
What we NEED Boys n Gals is a Driver with the same aims AS Team Kiwi that isnt going to get just so far and then abandon ship. We need this for the Team, the Sponsors and the hoards of followers that stick with this gargantuan outfit regardless of what gets thrown at us. All of which and especially the Sponsors m'thinks, have had a raw deal in regard to drivers. So bring on the very BEST that we can afford regardless of where thay came from. Lets get Shooey, HE knew how to show total loyalty whan ferarri werestruugling in F1 a (fair) few years back and he stayed with them come hell and highwater until they got it right. Bugga, it lets have HIM.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 06:59 (Ref:1121808)   #85
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Isn't Murph looking for a drive?,he's a Kiwi too and he's a pretty promising driver too.

Last edited by Armco Bender; 12 Oct 2004 at 07:00.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 09:16 (Ref:1121887)   #86
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You are priceless, Baz. Firstly, having an Aussie drive the TKR car goes against all the policies that TKR was found on...they don't even have a karting academy anymore so their only real entry level is a V8 Supercar test.

Maybe they will re-enter the NZ V8 Touring Cars, who knows, but if you look at the situation it now looks pretty bleak. Why would I wear my TKR merchandise proudly to pedal for a second Australian? - the first being the team owner.

As for your soapbox apistle about Mr Schuey - he brings the pieces that a team needs. Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne, maybe even Pat Symonds...hell I lose track, but he brings all the pieces that surround him in a circle of success, but then F1 is a different league.

I am not trying to put down the almighty black privateers, but if you are going to turn your back on your philosophies due to a wee challenge that crops up, then why bother supporting?

I may be a stand-alone case, but I am sure there are others who feel the same way. Some may just not be brave enough to be as vocal.

TKR needs a Kiwi driver, and the talent is there. Maybe there will need to be some hatchets buried, and a bakery come on board as a sponsor - Official Supplier of Humble Pies.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 09:16 (Ref:1121888)   #87
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
Isn't Murph looking for a drive?,he's a Kiwi too and he's a pretty promising driver too.
Except his wages bill is a couple of times the TKR annual budget

I dont think anyone has been decided yet 105octane, the team seemed to be using Bathurst as an indicator of the talent pool...

... some drivers stepped up, and made the most of their opportunities, others had the world at their feet and didnt go on with it...

Time will tell...
Old 12 Oct 2004, 10:03 (Ref:1121920)   #88
105octane
Veteran

I think they will be making a big mistake if they sign Gurr if they go for an Aussie Andy Jones would be a better bet i feel or even Leahey.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 10:09 (Ref:1121923)   #89
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you are wee way off track there GTR. Possibly a surprise at the next round. There is no time like the present huh?
Old 12 Oct 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1121929)   #90
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I doubt blooding a new driver at a car wrecking circuit like Indy is a very clever move....

I think Andy Jones has a LOT of talent, and should be a contender here if its at all possible. I have modified the poll to include him
Old 12 Oct 2004, 10:40 (Ref:1121955)   #91
105octane
Veteran

If they were going to look at signing a Kiwi driver again Coulthard would have to be on there list as he seemed to be the quicker and most consistant of the kiwi drivers including Porter and Bairdo.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 11:28 (Ref:1122027)   #92
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 105octane
If they were going to look at signing a Kiwi driver again Coulthard would have to be on there list as he seemed to be the quicker and most consistant of the kiwi drivers including Porter and Bairdo.
Yeh , he seemd to do OK. But what makes you an authority on his driving????????????

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 12 Oct 2004, 19:02 (Ref:1122500)   #93
105octane
Veteran

Probably because ive been round motor racing as a racer and a race engineer for the most of my living days. I think most who have done that tend to know what they are looking at wouldnt you?????
Old 12 Oct 2004, 22:04 (Ref:1122670)   #94
nicko
Racer

nicko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope that TKR have talked to Radisich, coz his asking price might not be so high now that he is struggling to find a drive.

I hope team kiwi do pick a kiwi driver otherwise tasman motorsport will be more kiwi.

So im hoping its either Radisich, Coulthard, McIntyre or Halliday.

By the way, from what i saw of the bathurst times it looked to me as porter was like 2-3 secs of Bairds times. Is this true?
Old 12 Oct 2004, 22:29 (Ref:1122685)   #95
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Just Do It!
You are priceless, Baz. Firstly, having an Aussie drive the TKR car goes against all the policies that TKR was found on...they don't even have a karting academy anymore so their only real entry level is a V8 Supercar test.

Maybe they will re-enter the NZ V8 Touring Cars, who knows, but if you look at the situation it now looks pretty bleak. Why would I wear my TKR merchandise proudly to pedal for a second Australian? - the first being the team owner.

As for your soapbox apistle about Mr Schuey - he brings the pieces that a team needs. Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne, maybe even Pat Symonds...hell I lose track, but he brings all the pieces that surround him in a circle of success, but then F1 is a different league.

I am not trying to put down the almighty black privateers, but if you are going to turn your back on your philosophies due to a wee challenge that crops up, then why bother supporting?

I may be a stand-alone case, but I am sure there are others who feel the same way. Some may just not be brave enough to be as vocal.

TKR needs a Kiwi driver, and the talent is there. Maybe there will need to be some hatchets buried, and a bakery come on board as a sponsor - Official Supplier of Humble Pies.
What the!?? As has been previously posted why should TKR automatically offer the drive to a kiwi? A number of drivers have come and gone, the same with the karting acadamy, I realise that when dealing with people who are good at what they do there is certainly some aspect of ego involved but from my understanding there has been more than one spoilt brat coming through the ranks. (I will not name names as I know my cell phone will start ringing and all sorts of rude words uttered) the fact remains that TKR has tried to work with motorsport NZ to try and develop drivers, mechanics etc and they are not interested. Some of those that have been taken on by TKR have not been prepared to do some hard yakka to get there, they want the prize now. and as for NZV8 drivers, according to MSNZ and those involved in NZV8 touring cars, drivers in the NZV8's should be happy with being In NZV8's as apparantly they don't need supercars. Do we need to revisit the NZV8 touring car thread to drag out quotes?. Yes, I agree that if they take on a non NZer they are going against their original concept, but if no one is available.....
Coulthard - If Tasman PR is to be believed they will have 2 cars next year so most likely unavailable.
Halliday - Unproven and does not hide his desire for single seaters.
McIntyre - Won't be drawn on specifics but had his chance.
Radisich - Doubt that his salary would allow it.
Murphy - Refer Radisich.

There are a number of quality drivers around who could step up, but with no V8 Experience it is hard to justify (No doubting their ability)

Jason Liefting
Johnny Reid
James Cressey

To name a few, in short sometimes you need to evolve your business, so maybe sometimes you need to make a decision that is difficult.

Last edited by Evomike; 12 Oct 2004 at 22:34.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 22:43 (Ref:1122701)   #96
Ross Cadell
Racer

Ross Cadell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Last edited by Ross Cadell; 12 Oct 2004 at 22:44.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 23:05 (Ref:1122719)   #97
Just Do It!
Veteran

I heard that Johnny Reid will be in GP2 next year, so he is off the radar at a guess.

Evomike, I think we both have fair and valid points.

Tasman have press released Ron Harrop's arrival to the team in an equity position.

Sadly, MSNZ have never really liked TKR for some reason
Old 12 Oct 2004, 23:11 (Ref:1122725)   #98
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Evomike I notice that you don't dispell the two drivers that I have heard about Mr Porter and Mr Gurr does that tell us something also the saying of no available Kiwi's tell us that Mr Gurr and Daddy's money are coming to this side of the ditch
Old 12 Oct 2004, 23:20 (Ref:1122730)   #99
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by flyingduck
Evomike I notice that you don't dispell the two drivers that I have heard about Mr Porter and Mr Gurr does that tell us something also the saying of no available Kiwi's tell us that Mr Gurr and Daddy's money are coming to this side of the ditch
I didn't mention Mr Porter because he is available and is probably in with a chance, I don't know. He would not be my first choice but I am no expert so no one call me please. I didn't mention Gurr cause he is not a kiwi and I have not mentioned any non kiwis in my post. I do not know who is being looked at so I cannot dispell anything and cannot confirm anything. I will find out when everyone else finds out.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 23:23 (Ref:1122733)   #100
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Evomike
I didn't mention Mr Porter because he is available and is probably in with a chance, I don't know. He would not be my first choice but I am no expert so no one call me please. I didn't mention Gurr cause he is not a kiwi and I have not mentioned any non kiwis in my post. I do not know who is being looked at so I cannot dispell anything and cannot confirm anything. I will find out when everyone else finds out.

Any of the people mentioned could be on the list I don't know, I am stating what I think and that is maybe not what is right.