Far Cry 0 0%
Grand theft auto San Andreas 12 42.86%
TOCA 2 4 14.29%
Other 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7 Dec 2004, 23:09 (Ref:1173941)   #1
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Game of the year

It seems that there aren't going to be any major releases in what's left of 2004 so thought I'd make a game of the year poll.

So which was, among all platforms the best game of the year?

I have to say that although both Far Cry and, more recently, Half Life 2 blew my mind and I consider them to be among the best I've ever played I still have to give the prize to Doom 3. And if you say I'm biased then guilty as charged. Not only are the graphics fantastic but it's been a while (actually since Doom 2) that a game has brought me over and over again to the brink of having a heart attack. And I sure missed that feeling.

BTW, I don't play console games so although I crave GTA:SA I'll just have to wait untill June next year to have it on PC.

And I have to say, a rather poor year for driving sims having only TOCA 2 to show.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 23:29 (Ref:1173951)   #2
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
san andreas for me, i have about 60 hours playing time and i'm still finding things to do on it.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 08:28 (Ref:1174120)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't vote for any of those.

I think there will be some who will ask why GTR isn't on the list - not me though.......
Old 8 Dec 2004, 08:29 (Ref:1174122)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry - consoles only is it? In that case I have absolutely no idea.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 11:42 (Ref:1174244)   #5
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GTA San Andreas by miles, I suspect it could have been closer had GT4 been released.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 12:58 (Ref:1174311)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have a PS2, but I'm about to sell it cos I haven't used it for ages except to play DVDs.

I voted "other", because you obviously forgot about the biggest PC game release of the year... Football Manager 2005.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 13:05 (Ref:1174319)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
A pretty poor year for games really, I think the only one I've actually bothered to splash the cash on this year is Colin McRae 2005, I'm considering TOCA Race Driver 2 but I'm not 100% convinced by it. Is GTA:SA a big step on from Vice city? I ran out of enthusiasm on that before finishing it so I'm not dashing out to get San Andreas.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 13:07 (Ref:1174322)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GTA: San Andreas for me, i'm not that impressed with racing games lately...
Not even *shock & gasp* games like GTR and GPL.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 13:17 (Ref:1174333)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GTA SA is what I voted for, but I'd probably say Half Life 2 if I had a working copy. It looks awesome.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 18:23 (Ref:1174551)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
San Andreas.......overwhelming. After 100 hous of play, I'm still not bored (nor have I reached 100%).

Dissapointmemnt of the year: Halo 2. All the hype, all the delays for a game inferior to its preceding title.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 18:29 (Ref:1174553)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
BTW, I don't play console games so although I crave GTA:SA I'll just have to wait untill June next year to have it on PC.
Wow I thought San Andreas was only comming out on PS2, brilliant, means I don't have to get one now.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 18:30 (Ref:1174556)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
San Andreas.......overwhelming. After 100 hous of play, I'm still not bored (nor have I reached 100%).

Dissapointmemnt of the year: Halo 2. All the hype, all the delays for a game inferior to its preceding title.
I voted for San Andreas, haven't played it much but still it's the best game ever.

I was also disapointed with Halo 2.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 18:32 (Ref:1174558)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I was playing on Goldern eye rogue agent to day around my friends, it's very good.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1174721)   #14
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
San Andreas... just when you thought GTA couldnt get any better...
Old 8 Dec 2004, 21:04 (Ref:1174728)   #15
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Wow I thought San Andreas was only comming out on PS2, brilliant, means I don't have to get one now.
yes it seems that the game will be released on other platforms but only after the "people" who have PS2s have played over and over and over again.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 21:07 (Ref:1174730)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England

Old 8 Dec 2004, 21:08 (Ref:1174731)   #17
Sharky
Veteran

i've also noticed that it's been quite some time since a good F1 sim has hit the shelves. In fact, there were years when we had 3 or 4 releases. Could it be that F1 has lost so much appeal that nobody even bothers to make a new F1 game?

And the opinions aboul Halo 2 are quite surprising. To tell you the truth, I didn't think much of the first game but I heard so many people raving about Halo 2 that I thought it would be good.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 23:43 (Ref:1174862)   #18
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mods for F1 Challenge!
Old 9 Dec 2004, 03:10 (Ref:1174941)   #19
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
out of the list, halo 2, but, knights of the old republic 2 was just released and the orginal was game of year before. role on xmas so i can get my copy.

Last edited by Es Nes; 9 Dec 2004 at 03:11.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 17:07 (Ref:1175425)   #20
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i voted for doom3 as the atmosphere in the game was the best ive played but now ive completed it im just hooked on san andreas so it was a tie between those two pity i couldnt vote for them both , but biggest disipointment of the year not halo 2 for me infact i throught half life 2 5 years and makes people sick what a game, absolute rubbish really, yes the physics was great but i was just so disipointed with it.