Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 26 Dec 2004, 21:00 (Ref:1188130)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 yearbook driver reviews, how did they get away with it?

I've been a collector of the yearbook and this year's took me by suprise.

This is their opinon on Da Matta.....

'He didn't look like a grand prix star, he didn't act like one, he didn't drive like one...next.'

I feel this is harsh to say the least, maybe true but still.

Their view on JV....

'Putting Jacques Villenuve in Trulli's car for the last three races was a great Briatore publicity coup, but it served no useful purpose. The Canadian was about as useless as he had been in the B.A.R the previous year, proving yet again that a monkey could have won the title in the 1997 Williams. And wearing a race suit that looks like a baby's romber suit should be classified as a crime by the style police. One can only feel sorry for Peter Sauber who will have the pleasure of JV in 2005.'

Not fair.
Old 26 Dec 2004, 21:05 (Ref:1188131)   #2
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit harsh on Da Matta, yes, but I smirked at the JV one!
Old 26 Dec 2004, 21:37 (Ref:1188145)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think we'd all better duck before our Canadian friends are online - it won't be pretty.

I'd say the words on CdM are quite harsh - he put in some strong races throughout those 2 years in a less-than-competitive car - he certianly looked like he was in the right job while leading from Kimi at Silverstone last year.

As for JV, I don't think he was ever going to shine under the circumstances at Renault, but the jury's still out on whether he has the speed, commitment and motivation to really lead Sauber forward the way Fisichella did this year.
Old 26 Dec 2004, 22:43 (Ref:1188165)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
These ratings are all about opinions - and generating debate.

They've done that.

Why do people assume every "rating list" should reflect their own views?
Old 26 Dec 2004, 23:03 (Ref:1188176)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If they wan't to **** off their readers, then fine.
But otherwise it's just bad publicity, or awful reading, or whatever...

Who did the second one?!
I demand names!!

Last edited by ASCII Man; 26 Dec 2004 at 23:04.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 00:03 (Ref:1188198)   #6
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah I was going to ask, didn't the (ex)Autosport guys (Roebuck, Saward etc) used to do them? Or isn't this Autocourse?
Old 27 Dec 2004, 04:42 (Ref:1188240)   #7
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've interviewed Villeneuve in the latest edition of F1 Racing, and he said that Peter Sauber showed him respect, which was a motivating reason why Villeneuve signed with Sauber - apparently Williams never returned calls, and the BAR approach fizzled out.

It seems like some members of the journalistic fraternity don't always show respect to Villeneuve either. It's fair cop to say what you think about Villeneuve's performance in Renault this year, but Villeneuve has worn baggy race suits every since he began Formula One and before that, so it's not like it's news that should be attacked the way it did. And as for the comment that a "monkey could have won the title in 1997" in the Williams - I tend to think that HHF was better than a "monkey" and he did not ever make the same use of his Williams equipment as JV did.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 08:51 (Ref:1188275)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This isn't Autocourse - I think it's a "Formula One Yearbook" which is inferior to the real thing!
Old 27 Dec 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1188351)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's the Formula 1 yearbook 2004-2005. It's written by all sorts of nationalities.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 11:51 (Ref:1188357)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Nigel Roebuck from Autosport did part of it, not sure which parts. Also Anno Hecker, Paolo Ciccarone, Stephanie Morin, Kunio Shibata, Jacques Vassal.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 11:56 (Ref:1188365)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
These people are entitled to their opinions, just as we are, the only difference, they get paid for it, we don't
Old 27 Dec 2004, 12:00 (Ref:1188366)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yes and I respect that, but they haven't respected the drivers, they haven't taken into a count that Jacques hadn't raced for 12 months, he wasn't 100% fit, he wasn't familiar with the car.
At least with Autocourse they take into acount things similar to this, hence the top ten drivers.

Last edited by luke; 27 Dec 2004 at 12:01.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 12:15 (Ref:1188374)   #13
Pondo
Rookie

Pondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"...The Canadian was about as useless as he had been in the B.A.R the previous year, proving yet again that a monkey could have won the title in the 1997 Williams..." I'd be really unhappy if I read stuff like that in a year book I'd bought.

Unless it was The Sun's annual F1 review.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 14:09 (Ref:1188424)   #14
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not nessesarily dissagreeing with what's been said but there really are some opinionated idiotic sh*t-for-brains writers in f1
Old 27 Dec 2004, 14:37 (Ref:1188432)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

True, but it's their book.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 15:13 (Ref:1188444)   #16
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who reads a book to see if they like it before they buy it though?

Either way you look at it those comments were written by somebody with an axe to grind, surely a year book should at least try to look at the season vaugely objectively?
Old 27 Dec 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1188445)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Where would be the fun in that?
Old 27 Dec 2004, 15:36 (Ref:1188450)   #18
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
The only reason why I received it was because it was a Christmas present and it's usably good.
Cheap compared to the Autocourse yearbook.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 18:44 (Ref:1188521)   #19
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's usually a fairly comprehensive book that, with great photos, good technical information and some of the sports top writers. Not got this year's yet, but it certainly sounds like standards have slipped. The Villeneueve quote could have been written by my three year old nephew. I've no problem with someone having a point of view, but let's get it across with a bit of intelligence and reason shall we.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 18:47 (Ref:1188523)   #20
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I've also noticed that the driver signs underneath, the quote. If I was Cristi, or Jaques, I would refuse to.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 18:53 (Ref:1188525)   #21
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to read opinionated stuff from journos. Their job is to take driver and team PR and cut through to the facts - as they see them.

These quotes seem fair. However, JV battling with the tailenders in a front running car doesn't need adornment or embellishment from any journalist. We could all see he was useless.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 19:06 (Ref:1188530)   #22
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlake27
I would like to read opinionated stuff from journos.
So would I.

Quote:
Their job is to take driver and team PR and cut through to the facts - as they see them.

These quotes seem fair.
Would you say that a monkey being able to win the Formula One World Championship was a fact? Even in the '97 Williams?

Quote:
However, JV battling with the tailenders in a front running car doesn't need adornment or embellishment from any journalist. We could all see he was useless.
Agreed.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 19:15 (Ref:1188533)   #23
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
We could all see he was useless.
But they haven't taken things into acount,
respect for the champion?''

No.

I've learnt someting very important for my GCSE coursework, for every point you make give a reason.

Last edited by luke; 27 Dec 2004 at 19:16.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 19:16 (Ref:1188534)   #24
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those yearbooks come off a lot worse than they are intended to sometimes, mainly because all the 'foreign' writers' contributions are poorly translated into English.
Good pictures though!
Old 27 Dec 2004, 19:18 (Ref:1188535)   #25
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed
Those yearbooks come off a lot worse than they are intended to sometimes, mainly because all the 'foreign' writers' contributions are poorly translated into English.
Good pictures though!
Yeah! for every paragraph, there's a French or Italian word that's snuck in.