Kimi to Renault?

It looks like Kimi is making a play for a seat at Renault for 2011
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86688
Old 14 Sep 2010, 07:36 (Ref:2759118)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Great news! But where will Webber go?!
Old 14 Sep 2010, 08:29 (Ref:2759127)   #3
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I would be very happy with this.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 08:48 (Ref:2759133)   #4
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think it would be harsh on Petrov, regardless of who the replacement is. He's started to come good and has had some decent races recently - he looks worse than he is because he's up against Kubica, who has been driving out of his skin. It would be a shame if he didn't get another season, and it doesn't look like there'd be many options open to him if he leaves Renault.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 14 Sep 2010, 08:51 (Ref:2759135)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and more importantly, how would they go from having petrov's budget to paying kimi's wages? sure kimi would bring in sponsorship but on a longer term basis than they'd be after, surely...
Old 14 Sep 2010, 09:04 (Ref:2759138)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
I think it would be harsh on Petrov.
Renault aren't a charity.

Petrov has done reasonably well and is improving but Kimi is better.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 09:54 (Ref:2759152)   #7
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem will be the contract negotiations, Kimi will inevitably want more ice cream then Renault will be prepared to offer!
Old 14 Sep 2010, 10:03 (Ref:2759157)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Renault aren't a charity.

Petrov has done reasonably well and is improving but Kimi is better.
For all they know, they'd be replacing an improving Petrov with a declining Raikkonen. Ferrari evidently didn't think he was good enough anymore and were perfectly happy to take a financial hit to get rid of him, and now he's been out of F1 for a year...is he actually a good long-term option?

And Bella makes the point about budget - Petrov has money and Raikkonen doesn't come cheap. From what was said last year, the reason he didn't go back to McLaren was that they weren't prepared to meet his wage demands, so would Renault really want to?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 14 Sep 2010, 10:08 (Ref:2759162)   #9
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
For all they know, they'd be replacing an improving Petrov with a declining Raikkonen.
A declining Kimi is still better than an improving Petrov. Petrov has a shot at becoming a decent midfield driver. Kimi is in my opinion one of the greats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
Ferrari evidently didn't think he was good enough anymore and were perfectly happy to take a financial hit to get rid of him, and now he's been out of F1 for a year...is he actually a good long-term option?
Ferrari were right to consider Alonso a better option than Raikkonen but that doesn't mean that Raikkonen can't do a good job for another team. I think he'd be a good medium-term option for Renault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
And Bella makes the point about budget - Petrov has money and Raikkonen doesn't come cheap. From what was said last year, the reason he didn't go back to McLaren was that they weren't prepared to meet his wage demands, so would Renault really want to?
This might be the sticking point. As much as I love Kimi, he's going to have to take a hit in the wallet if he wants to come back. The days of $50m retainers are well behind him.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 10:23 (Ref:2759180)   #10
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
For all they know, they'd be replacing an improving Petrov with a declining Raikkonen. Ferrari evidently didn't think he was good enough anymore and were perfectly happy to take a financial hit to get rid of him, and now he's been out of F1 for a year...is he actually a good long-term option?...
Are you sure it was that they didnt think he was good enough or do you think it was that they didnt think he would be quite as "professional" as Massa when it comes to yielding for their #1 driver in regards to team orders? Maybe Alonso didnt want him? I dont know.

Ferrari has traditionally been happy with hiring mediocre journeyman type drivers for their second car in recent years, think Irvine, Rubens and Massa.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 10:37 (Ref:2759186)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So he is trying to bail out of his exciting new challenge already?

Oh dear.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 10:41 (Ref:2759188)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
A declining Kimi is still better than an improving Petrov. Petrov has a shot at becoming a decent midfield driver. Kimi is in my opinion one of the greats.
was. i'm not convinced any more, not now he's seen the good life outside f1. he's a very very fast driver... when he wants to be and when he feels like he can commit to it. i'm not sure kubica would be deeply enthusiastic about having kimi as a teammate too - kubica is very much a leader within a team and kimi is one that people end up following, so that could possibly create some unwanted drama. petrov might not be as quick or an a-list name but he would be a consistent points scorer once he's actually got a decent amount of mileage behind him and got his head around the fact he doesn't have to throw it off to show he's trying. and the best way for a team to function from the point of view of avoiding drama (hello, red bull) and maximising points is to have a clear number one and a slower but solid number two to make sure they're up for the constructors as well as the drivers title.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 10:42 (Ref:2759189)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd much prefer him to stay in WRC if I'm honest. He is, steadily, getting up to speed - did well in Japan until one lapse sent him down a bank.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 10:47 (Ref:2759190)   #14
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I'd much prefer him to stay in WRC if I'm honest. He is, steadily, getting up to speed - did well in Japan until one lapse sent him down a bank.
He's pretty much always retiring tho. I dont really think that his managment having talks with F1 teams really means that he's moving to F1, its just about keeping the options open.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 10:51 (Ref:2759193)   #15
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Ferrari has traditionally been happy with hiring mediocre journeyman type drivers for their second car in recent years, think Irvine, Rubens and Massa.
Your being slightly harsh on Massa I feel. Mediocre Journeymen drivers do not get within quarter of a lap of a WDC.

But anyway, on topic, Raikonnen really should be on the grid somewhere, but is he willing to take a pay cut?
Old 14 Sep 2010, 11:15 (Ref:2759199)   #16
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'll bet you around 400 rubles Petrov will be back.

Besides, I don't see Kimi accepting anything but the exact deal he feels he is due.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 11:57 (Ref:2759214)   #17
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure Kimi won't be back. This is his management keeping him in the news.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 12:08 (Ref:2759219)   #18
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I agree. Kimi in the WRC is the balls out win or crash character I remember from karting. His latter years in F1 were a lack lustre. He only seemed to be there to make money [lots of it] and at times looked irritated and bored. The second Renault seat needs to bring cash and unless Kimi can drag a fairy godmother sponsor along, it seems unlikely that he'll be there.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2759225)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
I'll bet you around 400 rubles Petrov will be back.
Pst 8.50!
Old 14 Sep 2010, 12:28 (Ref:2759228)   #20
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
The second Renault seat needs to bring cash and unless Kimi can drag a fairy godmother sponsor along, it seems unlikely that he'll be there.
I reckon he'll bring backing from Smirnoff and Magnum.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 12:28 (Ref:2759229)   #21
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Hmm. How big a success has the last ex-Ferrari WDC made of his recent comeback?
Old 14 Sep 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2759231)   #22
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I reckon he'll bring backing from Smirnoff and Magnum.
I guess vodka and these people's products are in keeping with Kimi's image
Old 14 Sep 2010, 12:47 (Ref:2759234)   #23
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Hmm. How big a success has the last ex-Ferrari WDC made of his recent comeback?
Yeah but Kimi's 10 years younger than Schumacher and was winning Grands Prix as recently as 12 months ago.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2759237)   #24
rusty46
Rookie

England
ely cambs
rusty46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how about looking within renault and let Jérôme d'Ambrosio have a crack. Rather than let him disappear down the Virgin route. Kimi for me lacks passion.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 13:44 (Ref:2759259)   #25
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to see Kimi back, only in a competitive car though. I am sorry for Petrov as he has been improving recently. Does Kimi have the motivation nowadays? He is a great driver(remember most of his Spa drives), but does he want F1 anymore?